Shama: Gophers the major loser in US Bank Stadium opening, widens gap between teams

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

There are a lot of winners gathering under the U.S. Bank Stadium big top, but one major loser is the Gophers. The University of Minnesota’s football program has mostly played second fiddle to the Vikings in this market for more than 50 years. The opening of U.S. Bank Stadium only widens the gap between the two entities that compete for the love and financial support of this state’s football fans.

The opinion here is the Gophers are always best positioned to market their product when playing their home games in the same facility as used by the Vikings. The Gophers broke their co-occupancy of the Metrodome with the Vikings awhile ago with the decision to build TCF Bank Stadium. At one time there had been discussion of the Gophers and Vikings sharing a stadium on the University’s Minneapolis campus, but U leaders didn’t want the mega-size required of an NFL facility and the busy traffic brought to campus.

TCF Bank Stadium opened in 2009. It’s a nice stadium, and the facility certainly trumps most of the dinosaur-aged football homes on other college campuses. But the facility is also problematic for the Gophers. Let’s count the ways.

U.S. Bank Stadium is going to be praised for some time as one of the most luxurious and fan-friendly stadiums in the world. TCF Bank Stadium can’t compete with that reality and image. Too bad because word is Gophers’ ticket sales are lagging after last year’s 6-7 season (2-6 in Big Ten games), and the loss of head coach Jerry Kill—the face of the program to Minnesota football fans.

There’s such a buzz about the new stadium it’s likely the Gophers could sell out multiple games this season if playing in that building. It’s probably fair to say every game on the schedule would attract more paying customers downtown than will show up at TCF Bank Stadium.

But it’s not just this fall and the next couple seasons where the Gophers and their fans will lose out for not signing on with the Vikings in a shared stadium. That facility has about 13,000 more seats for football than TCF Bank Stadium. Every game the Gophers play in the future that has high ticket demand will be a reminder of how many more fans could have been accommodated and U Athletic Department revenues generated by making U.S. Bank Stadium home.

Another problem is TCF Bank Stadium is an open-air facility, while U.S. Bank Stadium has a roof. Watching games outdoors is appealing to most fans in September, a little less so in October and then problematic for many ticket buyers and holders in November and beyond. The cold and snow didn’t keep Vikings fans away for late season games when the NFL team played at the Bank while their new palace was being built, but the Gophers don’t command that kind of passion and loyalty.

Look, for example, what happened in November of 2014 when eventual national champion Ohio State came to the Bank. It was a bitterly cold day on November 15, and despite the Ohio State brand name and the Gophers still being in the hunt for the Big Ten’s West Division championship, attendance was 45,778—about 7,000 under stadium capacity. The weather kept a lot of customers away, but in a covered facility the game likely would have attracted 55,000 to 60,000 fans.

Returning football to campus was promoted as a move to boost interest in the program. The results have been mixed. The Gophers didn’t sell out a single game in 2014, but last year—with the promise of Kill having his best team and playing a glitzy home schedule—Minnesota sold out multiple games and averaged a TCF Bank Stadium season-best ever 52,354 fans.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

As strictly a Gopher fan, I could care less what happens in U.S. Bank Stadium. I have numerous opportunities to go watch the "queens" but not interested. You can't beat the college atmosphere. Give me. 0-12 Gopher team over any thing in U.S. Bank.

We tried this before and it was a huge failure. We are better off with 45k in a 50k stadium than 50k in a 70k stadium.

Strange and silly column from Shama.

College football needs to be played outdoors and on campus.

There’s such a buzz about the new stadium it’s likely the Gophers could sell out multiple games this season if playing in that building. It’s probably fair to say every game on the schedule would attract more paying customers downtown than will show up at TCF Bank Stadium.

There always is with new stadiums. Just like when TCF Bank Stadium opened as well.

Must have been a slow idea day. Apples and oranges. I think I remember the ticket prices for Vikes might be just a little higher at US Bank...

Agree with the rest. I love TCF and would rather play there then have all those empty seats at US Bank and also if Gophers Win it wont matter.

per Shama:

There are a lot of winners gathering under the U.S. Bank Stadium big top, but one major loser is the Gophers. The University of Minnesota’s football program has mostly played second fiddle to the Vikings in this market for more than 50 years. The opening of U.S. Bank Stadium only widens the gap between the two entities that compete for the love and financial support of this state’s football fans.

The opinion here is the Gophers are always best positioned to market their product when playing their home games in the same facility as used by the Vikings. The Gophers broke their co-occupancy of the Metrodome with the Vikings awhile ago with the decision to build TCF Bank Stadium. At one time there had been discussion of the Gophers and Vikings sharing a stadium on the University’s Minneapolis campus, but U leaders didn’t want the mega-size required of an NFL facility and the busy traffic brought to campus.

TCF Bank Stadium opened in 2009. It’s a nice stadium, and the facility certainly trumps most of the dinosaur-aged football homes on other college campuses. But the facility is also problematic for the Gophers. Let’s count the ways.

U.S. Bank Stadium is going to be praised for some time as one of the most luxurious and fan-friendly stadiums in the world. TCF Bank Stadium can’t compete with that reality and image. Too bad because word is Gophers’ ticket sales are lagging after last year’s 6-7 season (2-6 in Big Ten games), and the loss of head coach Jerry Kill—the face of the program to Minnesota football fans.

But it’s not just this fall and the next couple seasons where the Gophers and their fans will lose out for not signing on with the Vikings in a shared stadium. That facility has about 13,000 more seats for football than TCF Bank Stadium. Every game the Gophers play in the future that has high ticket demand will be a reminder of how many more fans could have been accommodated and U Athletic Department revenues generated by making U.S. Bank Stadium home.

Another problem is TCF Bank Stadium is an open-air facility, while U.S. Bank Stadium has a roof. Watching games outdoors is appealing to most fans in September, a little less so in October and then problematic for many ticket buyers and holders in November and beyond. The cold and snow didn’t keep Vikings fans away for late season games when the NFL team played at the Bank while their new palace was being built, but the Gophers don’t command that kind of passion and loyalty.

Look, for example, what happened in November of 2014 when eventual national champion Ohio State came to the Bank. It was a bitterly cold day on November 15, and despite the Ohio State brand name and the Gophers still being in the hunt for the Big Ten’s West Division championship, attendance was 45,778—about 7,000 under stadium capacity. The weather kept a lot of customers away, but in a covered facility the game likely would have attracted 55,000 to 60,000 fans.

Returning football to campus was promoted as a move to boost interest in the program. The results have been mixed. The Gophers didn’t sell out a single game in 2014, but last year—with the promise of Kill having his best team and playing a glitzy home schedule—Minnesota sold out multiple games and averaged a TCF Bank Stadium season-best ever 52,354 fans.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Did downtown and it sucked.

The other thing to point out is the Vikings would control everything and we wouldn't get a dime for anything beyond tickets and a share of concessions. No signage, no suites, no parking, nothing. Attendance may be down this year because we don't have Nebraska or Wisconsin on the card, but image what those games would be like if we played in the Vikings' stadium. I don't really want to go to a game with 25k Nebraska fans. It's not fair for the team or the fans.

Some faulty logic going on here. US Bank Stadium doesn't make November home games a problem for TCF Bank Stadium. If the concerns are that real, they were already concerns long before US Bank Stadium came along.

I like the bank. Its not a loser for us

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Football is better outdoors, no matter the weather.

+1. For me, there is nothing like a college football game day... Frankly, I do not care where it is, but have loved every game at TCF...I also have no plans to visit US Bank Stadium. Football needs to be outside and we have seen it all the past few years. That includes temps in the 90's, the frigid Ohio State game, snow, having to clear the stands for a thunderstorm... It is all good.

And the atmosphere with the band, students, traditions, kicks the snot out of an NFL game in my book.

As strictly a Gopher fan, I could care less what happens in U.S. Bank Stadium. I have numerous opportunities to go watch the "queens" but not interested. You can't beat the college atmosphere. Give me. 0-12 Gopher team over any thing in U.S. Bank.

What an awful column. There are plenty of things to rip Gopher football on; their stadium is not one of them.

Huge fan of both!! Could careless most can't afford to go to a vikes game anyways. If the gophers can keep it family friendly will be the best way to have fans at the games. Gophers should play last home game of the year at US bank so we don't freeze our ass off. This why I go to a few games early in the year. Gophers need a small stadium just win !

The only advantage to using the Vikings stadium is the ability to sell more tickets when the Gophers play WI, NE and IA at home. The larger Hump was always filled for the WI and IA games.
Other than those infrequent games I see no advantage.
I hope the "family friendly" doesn't mean persistently dull game day experiences at The Bank.
Thank you Maturi.

Huge fan of both!! Could careless most can't afford to go to a vikes game anyways. If the gophers can keep it family friendly will be the best way to have fans at the games. Gophers should play last home game of the year at US bank so we don't freeze our ass off. This why I go to a few games early in the year. Gophers need a small stadium just win !

Big NO to any thought of playing last game inside. Silly. It's one game, seriously? This is Minnesota. They sell the place out for hockey games in the dead of Winter for crying out loud.

The only advantage to using the Vikings stadium is the ability to sell more tickets when the Gophers play WI, NE and IA at home. The larger Hump was always filled for the WI and IA games.
Other than those infrequent games I see no advantage.
I hope the "family friendly" doesn't mean persistently dull game day experiences at The Bank.
Thank you Maturi.

I don't see that as an advantage, at all. Pretty sure they meant more affordable. But hey, you knew that and just wanted to get a dig in, so mission accomplished!

Not a chance the gophers would sell out more than 1 game at the vikes stadium. 1 probably isnt even likely.

Some faulty logic going on here. US Bank Stadium doesn't make November home games a problem for TCF Bank Stadium. If the concerns are that real, they were already concerns long before US Bank Stadium came along.

I'm a cold weather wimp and US Bank stadium will make no difference for me in November. Still rather freeze outside and watch the Gophers if I'm going to a game in-person.

Shama you sound a lot like Sid from 1980. That idea was bad back then and it's bad now.

Shama you sound a lot like Sid from 1980. That idea was bad back then and it's bad now.

This is an awful, silly column.

The Vikings were going to get a shiny new stadium sooner than later that was going to draw some interest towards the Vikings from casual fan. There are a lot of die hard Viking fans and the Vikings were always their number one team and unlike many of us, those people will want to see games in that stadium before they go to any Gopher games, if money is a concern.

The Vikings have only so many more regular seats than they had a the Metrodome, so that part of it is not a big change.

The bigger (legitimate) issue, which Shama misses, is the huge number of premium, club type seats being added to the Twin Cities inventory of such seats. The Gophers already had a challenge selling their suites, club and loge seats, and the Vikings are adding a huge amount of inventory, and the clients and the bigwigs all want their seats. The Target Center renovation for an improving team is an issue as well.

The suite issue and how it impacts revenue is the only downside for the Gophers and their is nothing they can do about that other than start to win big in football.

I am not sure why anyone thinks it is good thing to have 20,000 tickets sitting around waiting for Wisconsin and Iowa fans to buy them up, marketed as a reason to visit the fancy new stadium in the "big" city. (I know a lot of them live here as well)

The topic of Iowa and Wisconsin fan attendance at TFC is somewhat interesting to me. Those fans always showed up on good numbers, approaching 25 tot 30K in some years at the Metrodome. They rarely ever had half the house, though as they claimed, only the NDSU fans can maybe claim that.

Their attendance at TFC has been meager and much smaller than it could have been every year. There have been thousands of empty seats above the student section at TCF for almost every Iowa/Wisconsin game, yet they have not bought the tickets. Iowa was down some years and I have no idea about Wisconsin fans. I think some of them do not realize that lots of seats were still available. I also think some of them actually liked the Metrodome experience, which considering the results I can understand.

I am not sure why anyone thinks it is good thing to have 20,000 tickets sitting around waiting for Wisconsin and Iowa fans to buy them up, marketed as a reason to visit the fancy new stadium in the "big" city. (I know a lot of them live here as well)

The topic of Iowa and Wisconsin fan attendance at TFC is somewhat interesting to me. Those fans always showed up on good numbers, approaching 25 tot 30K in some years at the Metrodome. They rarely ever had half the house, though as they claimed, only the NDSU fans can maybe claim that.

Their attendance at TFC has been meager and much smaller than it could have been every year. There have been thousands of empty seats above the student section at TCF for almost every Iowa/Wisconsin game, yet they have not bought the tickets. Iowa was down some years and I have no idea about Wisconsin fans. I think some of them do not realize that lots of seats were still available. I also think some of them actually liked the Metrodome experience, which considering the results I can understand.

Very good post. Notice how the claims of "we'll have 20,000 fans at TCF" have disappeared? :D

As for the part in bold two things come to mind. First there are always a lot of trolls on a free board, so some of that is easy to explain. The second? Always having those 15-20,000 seats available meant that people didn't have to commit to Season Tickets and could nearly always get very cheap tickets.

Never underestimate the appeal of "cheap" in this State. :cool:

Top Bottom