Shama: Gophers Sit Tight on Ben Johnson’s Contract; U says MBB made $5MM last year, $2MM less than potential; MBB has "north of $1MM for NIL"

as conspiracy theories go, this one is so far-fetched that Jesse Ventura wouldn't even buy it.

the notion that Coyle is deciding who gets NIL money is..............I don't have words to describe it.
Coyle is too wishy-washy to be this evil manipulator you're describing.

everyone has a right to their opinion, but there's a difference between an informed opinion - one that is backed up with at least some factual information - and wild rumors or speculation.
Look at the source.

Ben: We're rapidly improving with no seniors. Can't wait for next year.

Coyle: Sorry, but we're not going to keep Payne, Hawkins, or Christie. Or replace Christie. Or acquire anyone worth money. You have to start all over with free players.

Ben: We can't keep anyone?

Coyle: Garcia decided to stay for some reason. He must have a plan already for his future. Anyway, Ben, you need to win big next year or you're fired.
And then Coyle and Gavin Newsome have a zoom call each night and laugh and laugh at Ben's misery.

Questions:

Who decides whether the non-conference schedule is "decent?"
If Coyle doesn't think the non-conf schedule is decent, will he veto the schedule and demand that Johnson schedule more 'decent' teams?

and.....Coyle believes longer contracts are a thing of the past....
Does this also apply to Mr. Fleck, or only to the basketball coach?
Hopefully, only to basketball. Basketball teams all across the Big Ten added 5 to 10 guys through the portal. It is common for many teams to have a new roster in basketball.

Football so far is different. Typically teams have 5 to 10 transfers in football as well but the difference is 13 scholarship guys versus 85 guys. You can make a much stronger argument for continuity in football being important.

I'm sure it is. at $50 a ticket your looking at an additional 4M in revenue then.
Which could mean Coyle isn't expecting sellouts per se, but there is an expectation to get more butts in seats... Wonder if/ how that factors in to the decision to keep CBJ after the season.

“We made great, great strides,” Coyle said during an interview at his campus office. “I’ve talked to Ben about if we go .500 in conference play, we’re going to be in the NCCA Tournament more times than not if you play a decent nonconference schedule.

If Coyle is talking about last season, I agree that 10 more wins in 34 games was a good jump. I also agree with the target of at least .500 in conference play.

What I'm not sure about is whether going .500 in conference play gets us into the NCAA tournament "more often than not." We'll have to see. It's a tougher conference now because we didn't get any of the bottom tier PAC 12 teams so that should help support the selection of a team finishing .500 but 2 out of 3 Big Ten teams that finished .500 in conference this past season didn't make the NCAA tournament.

I'm sure it is. at $50 a ticket your looking at an additional 4M in revenue then.
Yep. And a new coach, especially the right one, could easily increase attendance by that amount. Which is why the "we can't afford anyone better!" spiel is false.

as conspiracy theories go, this one is so far-fetched that Jesse Ventura wouldn't even buy it.

the notion that Coyle is deciding who gets NIL money is..............I don't have words to describe it.
Coyle is too wishy-washy to be this evil manipulator you're describing.

everyone has a right to their opinion, but there's a difference between an informed opinion - one that is backed up with at least some factual information - and wild rumors or speculation.
Guys here say that Coyle is telling Ben that he better make the NCAA this year or he's fired.

And you (& disco & others) are also saying that us losing our players to money never came up...and Coyle knows nothing about that??

Guys here say that Coyle is telling Ben that he better make the NCAA this year or he's fired.

And you (& disco & others) are also saying that us losing our players to money never came up...and Coyle knows nothing about that??
I've never said that. If CBJ and Coyle haven't discussed losing players to money, then they're both terribly stupid and are not qualified for their jobs in this day and age.

Sadly we already have young’ins who don’t know who Sid is.
I have his “autobiography” which was written by Reusse and I think it’s time I finally read it; I inherited it from my Dad when he passed.

Has anyone read Sid! (That’s the actual title). Wondering if it’s good, bad or ugly?

I've never said that. If CBJ and Coyle haven't discussed losing players to money, then they're both terribly stupid and are not qualified for their jobs in this day and age.
I agree.

So since they obviously HAVE talked about losing players to money...I'd find Coyle & Ben's "win big this year or you're fired" conversation to be very interesting. I'd love to have heard it.

I have his “autobiography” which was written by Reusse and I think it’s time I finally read it; I inherited it from my Dad when he passed.

Has anyone read Sid! (That’s the actual title). Wondering if it’s good, bad or ugly?
It’s interesting. He lived to be 100, so he had lots of stories. He was, at least in his later years the definition of a curmudgeon. He was a homer. He was very competitive in his field. He did exceptionally well financially.

I had a neighbor who played for the Gopher baseball team in the ‘60’s. I asked him if he saw or knew Sid. He said Sid was a frequent visitor to the baseball locker room. I asked him about his take on Sid. His response: "if you had something Sid wanted, or you were a star, you were one of Sids close personal friends. If not, then he hardly knew you.

Sid turned his back on the young kfan talent led by PA. George Dstarr saw Sid’s gaffe and quickly amassed a young media army.

Ben: We're rapidly improving with no seniors. Can't wait for next year.

Coyle: Sorry, but we're not going to keep Payne, Hawkins, or Christie. Or replace Christie. Or acquire anyone worth money. You have to start all over with free players.

Ben: We can't keep anyone?

Coyle: Garcia decided to stay for some reason. He must have a plan already for his future. Anyway, Ben, you need to win big next year or you're fired.
It boggles my mind you are able to breathe without directions...

Top Bottom