Shama: Gophers Sit Tight on Ben Johnson’s Contract; U says MBB made $5MM last year, $2MM less than potential; MBB has "north of $1MM for NIL"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shama:

There has been postseason anticipation about Ben Johnson’s contract as University of Minnesota head men’s basketball coach. That suspense goes back to late March when Johnson’s Golden Gophers posted the best record in his three seasons of leading the program at his alma mater.

Athletic director Mark Coyle told Sports Headliners there will be no changes in Johnson’s contract this offseason. The deal has three years remaining (ends April 30, 2027) and Coyle believes longer contracts are a thing of the past because of the flux in rosters with basketball players and other athletes coming and going. The transfer portal and influence of NIL money can change rosters on a dime.

That was a major improvement over Johnson’s first two seasons when his teams had consecutive last place conference finishes and a combined 6-33 league record. That prompted public criticism of Johnson during his first experience as a head coach after being a career assistant college coach at Minnesota and elsewhere.

“We made great, great strides,” Coyle said during an interview at his campus office. “I’ve talked to Ben about if we go .500 in conference play, we’re going to be in the NCCA Tournament more times than not if you play a decent nonconference schedule.

“So, our goal is to continue to support Ben and help him take the next step. I think Ben is very excited about the roster he brought in. A lot of thanks to (program booster) Bob Klas and the people that support our NIL initiative. …Ben is in a really good spot, so we did not do a contract extension.”

Coyle said Johnson and other coaches are in his office on a regular basis to discuss NIL. Working with the Dinkytown Athletes collective, the Athletic Department has seen a surge in money benefiting athletes from many sports since DA started almost two years ago. Coyle didn’t offer a figure as to how much money Johnson has had to work with in 2024 but an informed estimate by Sports Headliners is “north” of $1 million.

“I don’t think we know what our peers are at,” Coyle said. “You hear rumors what our peers are at but then you see them lose two or three starters, too.”

Money is a centerpiece of Johnson’s responsibilities. A Big Ten contending team in this market could command among the higher ticket prices in college hoops and those revenues would shoulder a big load in a department where the only programs making money are football, men’s basketball and men’s hockey.

The Gophers averaged 8,139 in home attendance last season, ranking 12th in the Big Ten. That was down from 9,451 the previous year.

A spokesman from the Athletic Department emailed that the Gophers made $5 million from men’s basketball this past year. The potential, he said, was to make $2 million more.

Go Gophers!!

“We made great, great strides,” Coyle said during an interview at his campus office. “I’ve talked to Ben about if we go .500 in conference play, we’re going to be in the NCCA Tournament more times than not if you play a decent nonconference schedule.
Cosplay Sid is right here. They'd be a better fit in the community college tournament as of late.

Lol he's such a liar.

But at least he admits that .500 is our high-watermark goal to accomplish once in a while.

And $1M lol...when Christie alone would have been $750K.

Confused regarding the last statement...does he mean they have the potential to make 2 million more this year, or they potentially could have made (projected to make?) 2 million more last year...?

Confused regarding the last statement...does he mean they have the potential to make 2 million more this year, or they potentially could have made (projected to make?) 2 million more last year...?
The way I interpret it is that we made 5 mil but could've made 7 mil (probably because of poor attendance). Would going from 8,000 fans per night to selling out over the course of the season account for the 2 mil?

Cosplay Sid is right here. They'd be a better fit in the community college tournament as of late.

Another “Genius” on the board, who knows more about sports than the Sportswriters.

Is writer in your job title, young man?

Are you close, personal friends with: Mr. George Steinbrenner, Mr. Harvey McKay or Coaches Bobby Knight & Lou Holtz?

All those gentlemen, flew out, at great personal expense, to throw me an 80th Birthday Bash at Murray’s in the private, VIP only dining room. No Schlubs invited, sorry.

“We made great, great strides,” Coyle said during an interview at his campus office. “I’ve talked to Ben about if we go .500 in conference play, we’re going to be in the NCCA Tournament more times than not if you play a decent nonconference schedule."

What a lofty standard...."if we go .500 in conference play"...
"if you play a decent non conference schedule"...we ignored that last year and we'll see about this year.

That can't be the goal but it is.
And my source that said we had over $1 million in NIL money seems to be the figure.

Another “Genius” on the board, who knows more about sports than the Sportswriters.

Are you close, personal friends with: Mr. George Steinbrenner, Mr. Harvey McKay or Coaches Bobby Knight & Lou Holtz?

All those gentlemen, flew out, at great personal expense, to throw me an 80th Birthday Bash at Murray’s in the private, VIP only dining room. No Schlubs invited, sorry.
Logical Fallacy: Appeal to Authority

“I’ve talked to Ben about if we go .500 in conference play, we’re going to be in the NCCA Tournament more times than not if you play a decent nonconference schedule."

This is the lead. Translation: stop being a pussy,

Did Sid really talk like that? Not a huge Sid guy clearly. You've made posts like that unironically before so hard to tell.
With an adroit gem like that, it makes me wonder if you’re another under 45 years old; anyone older than that would be familiar with Sid’s patter
(Assuming you’re a lifelong MN fan).

Your interest in trying to make me look “bad on the board” is flattering & also creepy. I didn’t realize I was in your thoughts that much - thanks for making my day, kiddo.

Last edited:

Questions:

Who decides whether the non-conference schedule is "decent?"
If Coyle doesn't think the non-conf schedule is decent, will he veto the schedule and demand that Johnson schedule more 'decent' teams?

and.....Coyle believes longer contracts are a thing of the past....
Does this also apply to Mr. Fleck, or only to the basketball coach?

“I’ve talked to Ben about if we go .500 in conference play, we’re going to be in the NCCA Tournament more times than not if you play a decent nonconference schedule."

This is the lead. Translation: stop being a pussy,
Some of you say that Coyle is threatening Ben. Win or else. Stop being a pussy. Etc.

But like I said before...I'd love to see how that conversation went...right after Ben pleaded to make competitive offers to our players and Coyle said no.

Are you really so dense you can't get such a simple joke about an obvious mistake?
"NCCA"
"National Community College Association."

Wait...stupid question. Of course you are.

With an adroit gem like that, it makes me wonder if you’re another under 45 years old; anyone older than that would be familiar with Sid’s patter
(Assuming you’re a lifelong MN fan).

Your interest in trying to make me look “bad on the board” is flattering & also creepy. I didn’t realize I was in your thoughts that much - thanks for making my day, kiddo.
Take it easy man, we're just having fun here

Some of you say that Coyle is threatening Ben. Win or else. Stop being a pussy. Etc.

But like I said before...I'd love to see how that conversation went...right after Ben pleaded to make competitive offers to our players and Coyle said no.
Begged him to make NIL offers? Coyle can’t have any hand in that (the allocation). He would only have, possibly, the budget. DTA would dole it out to who they see fit. Because we are playing things solely by the book

Per Shama:

There has been postseason anticipation about Ben Johnson’s contract as University of Minnesota head men’s basketball coach. That suspense goes back to late March when Johnson’s Golden Gophers posted the best record in his three seasons of leading the program at his alma mater.

Athletic director Mark Coyle told Sports Headliners there will be no changes in Johnson’s contract this offseason. The deal has three years remaining

I enjoyed the last season. Johnson should be back.

Like it or not, everyone knows he gets to come back. That is not an issue.

The critics now have their way. We all know the upcoming season is the key judgment season.

It's not a threat to say that you make the tournament at .500 in conference if you play a decent nonconference schedule. That is simply a true observation. Wisconsin was, I believe, 11-9, but had wins over Marquette and Virginia and losses against Tennessee and Arizona. MSU was 10-10 and had all sorts of losses against good teams in the noncon (but beating Baylor helped alot).

The lesson is don't be a pussy. I've been educated that the coach is mostly responsible for the scheduling. Last year was a disgrace. They gave themselves virtually no margin for error.

The way I interpret it is that we made 5 mil but could've made 7 mil (probably because of poor attendance). Would going from 8,000 fans per night to selling out over the course of the season account for the 2 mil?
4K more fans for 20 home games would be 80K fans. at 30 bucks a ticket thats 2.4M...just rough math

It's not a threat to say that you make the tournament at .500 in conference if you play a decent nonconference schedule. That is simply a true observation. Wisconsin was, I believe, 11-9, but had wins over Marquette and Virginia and losses against Tennessee and Arizona. MSU was 10-10 and had all sorts of losses against good teams in the noncon (but beating Baylor helped alot).

The lesson is don't be a pussy. I've been educated that the coach is mostly responsible for the scheduling. Last year was a disgrace. They gave themselves virtually no margin for error.

Ben: We're rapidly improving with no seniors. Can't wait for next year.

Coyle: Sorry, but we're not going to keep Payne, Hawkins, or Christie. Or replace Christie. Or acquire anyone worth money. You have to start all over with free players.

Ben: We can't keep anyone?

Coyle: Garcia decided to stay for some reason. He must have a plan already for his future. Anyway, Ben, you need to win big next year or you're fired.

Ben: We're rapidly improving with no seniors. Can't wait for next year.

Coyle: Sorry, but we're not going to keep Payne, Hawkins, or Christie. Or replace Christie. Or acquire anyone worth money. You have to start all over with free players.

Ben: We can't keep anyone?

Coyle: Garcia decided to stay for some reason. He must have a plan already for his future. Anyway, Ben, you need to win big next year or you're fired.

as conspiracy theories go, this one is so far-fetched that Jesse Ventura wouldn't even buy it.

the notion that Coyle is deciding who gets NIL money is..............I don't have words to describe it.
Coyle is too wishy-washy to be this evil manipulator you're describing.

everyone has a right to their opinion, but there's a difference between an informed opinion - one that is backed up with at least some factual information - and wild rumors or speculation.

Top Bottom