Shama: Gophers are heavy with front court returnees and it wouldn’t be surprising if 7-foot Minnesota native Treyton Thompson enters transfer portal

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

The Gophers are heavy with front court returnees and it wouldn’t be surprising if 7-foot Minnesota native Treyton Thompson enters the transfer portal. He averages 11 minutes per game and some games doesn’t play at all.

Go Gophers!!

I’ve also read that Thompson works very hard and loves it at the U. I hope he stays, I still think he could be a valuable role player as an upperclassman. I guess we will see if he’s good with that role or wants to transfer someplace he can play big minutes.

All teams in college basketball (D1,2 and 3) typically only play 8-9 players. Of course #10-14 occasionally get into a few games. But, stats show the vast majority of teams only play those 8-9 guys consistently. TT will never be one of those top 8-9 on the Gophers. He seems like a great kid. I would tell any non top 8-9 guy to transfer if they are interested in more playing time. Good luck to TT.

checked to be sure. Yup, TT averages 11 minutes a game - but he has only played in 20 out of 30 games this season. So 10 games where he has not seen the floor.

Will Ramberg actually averages more minutes per game than TT - but Ramberg has only appeared in 16 games, so TT has more total minutes.

I’ve also read that Thompson works very hard and loves it at the U. I hope he stays, I still think he could be a valuable role player as an upperclassman. I guess we will see if he’s good with that role or wants to transfer someplace he can play big minutes.
Unpopular opinion: I hope he stays, too. Not everyone needs to be a star, or even a starter, as long as he's okay with that and keeps working on his game.

Unpopular opinion: I hope he stays, too. Not everyone needs to be a star, or even a starter, as long as he's okay with that and keeps working on his game.
If they are able to find better players than him, I hope he moves on to a place he can play and shine.
If they can't I hope he stays and becomes a depth player. The Wisconsin game was revealing. Payne was in foul trouble and JOJ isn't tall enough to deter Wahl or Crowl but Thompson didn't play. I thought CBJ was running him off because Evans was coming, but that was after Evans decommitted so..... I think he is going to move on.

Role players are important but if he isn't playing at all then he is just eating up a scholarship that could potentially go to someone that can actually help the team on the court.

Given the front court options that we have there really isn't much a role there for Thompson and if Fox and or Ihnen recover enough to play he falls even farther down the peking order.

Best thing for Thompson and the program would be for him to transfer to a lower level school where he could get on the court and the team could free up the scholarship.

If they are able to find better players than him, I hope he moves on to a place he can play and shine.
If they can't I hope he stays and becomes a depth player. The Wisconsin game was revealing. Payne was in foul trouble and JOJ isn't tall enough to deter Wahl or Crowl but Thompson didn't play. I thought CBJ was running him off because Evans was coming, but that was after Evans decommitted so..... I think he is going to move on.
Right now Thompson is a 7 footer that can't play with his back to the basket or guard guys down low. Maybe with another year he develops the strength and technique to play down low but so far we haven't seen it.

Role players are important but if he isn't playing at all then he is just eating up a scholarship that could potentially go to someone that can actually help the team on the court.

Given the front court options that we have there really isn't much a role there for Thompson and if Fox and or Ihnen recover enough to play he falls even farther down the peking order.

Best thing for Thompson and the program would be for him to transfer to a lower level school where he could get on the court and the team could free up the scholarship.
Correct take. If he isn't going to play at all I hope he moves on. We have plenty of holes to plug, we don't need a 3rd string C who thinks hes a SG. I know people don't like the ISU comps but when you don't have top 10 talent depth is more important. ISU played 11 guys today against Baylor, we need that ability. Not everyone is going to score 10 a game or pull down 10 reb, but good to keep guys fresh pressure on the other team while not relying on an iron 5.

Correct take. If he isn't going to play at all I hope he moves on. We have plenty of holes to plug, we don't need a 3rd string C who thinks hes a SG. I know people don't like the ISU comps but when you don't have top 10 talent depth is more important. ISU played 11 guys today against Baylor, we need that ability. Not everyone is going to score 10 a game or pull down 10 reb, but good to keep guys fresh pressure on the other team while not relying on an iron 5.
I’ve watched a lot of ISUs games. They play the typical 8-9 guys. They played 11 but King wasn’t in a full minute and the other guy played like 2. As nice as it was for them to play I don’t think it was what made their victory. They win cause they defend.

I’ve watched a lot of ISUs games. They play the typical 8-9 guys. They played 11 but King wasn’t in a full minute and the other guy played like 2. As nice as it was for them to play I don’t think it was what made their victory. They win cause they defend.
Well, Jackscoach, you never lose an opportunity to set us straight.

I don't think anyone would disagree with that but a team that doesn't have 7 healthy, solid, and reliable guys needs depth and the competition that comes with that. If you're never playing, you're not providing depth.

TT was abused last year in regards to his playing time. He returned. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he stays again. Will he play any more the third year than he has this year? Seems unlikely, but it seems he wants to be there.

The issue I have with TT is that I want my cake and eat it to. As stated before, the vast majority of teams play 8-9 players with the rest only picking up a stray minute here and there. But, I want my 10-13 players to be almost as good as my top 9. If for some reason we need to reach for that #11 or #12 guy on the bench, they are ready to go and there isn't a huge drop off. Think Stockman a few years ago. He was servicable when pressed into action. I can't honestly say that about TT. I see no scenario where he can be of help to a WINNING Gophers program. I'm not saying kick him to the curb. We gave him a scholly. If he wants to stay, he stays. If I was his mentor/friend/adviser, I would tell him to find a more suitable program where he can get some quality minutes and contribute more.

Like Hamline?

I want a guy who wants to be here. There is much value in a great scout team practice player who loves to see the team succeed. That is what Isaiah Dahlman did at Michigan State.

If he wants to be an end of the bench guy that’s fine.

Assuming Cooper and Battle do move on, that will mean they’ll already have 3 open spots to fill. Someone transferring will just add to that number. If you can find 4 quality transfers to bring in, then great. But I’d rather have TT stick around if the alternative is an open scholarship again or a Samuels type of transfer.

Top Bottom