Shama: Gophers are a developmental program with a roster that has no five-star and few four-star players coming out of high school.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Other than Nebraska, the Gophers have to go farther to recruit much of their roster than any school in the conference. Out of state recruiting is a must because Minnesota high schools don’t produce a lot of Big Ten prospects. And when it comes to recruiting, remember this about the University of Minnesota: the Gophers don’t cheat by paying players like some of their Power Five rivals. That puts programs like Minnesota at a competitive disadvantage.

The Gophers are a developmental program with a roster that has no five-star and few four-star players coming out of high school. Often developing talent works but there are also ongoing times of poor results. An epicenter in the last two games is the receiving corps. Too often receivers aren’t gaining separation to get open. There are instances where effort is lacking, like not contesting a catch or poor route running.

To be successful the Gophers need balance between passing and running. The passing game didn’t show up in the last two losses, with Minnesota scoring a total of 24 points. In the first four games of the season Minnesota had that balance and scored over 30 points in three nonconference wins and a Big Ten road victory at Michigan State. No doubt, though, one of the nation’s easiest schedules helped fuel the Gophers’ success.

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

...And when it comes to recruiting, remember this about the University of Minnesota: the Gophers don’t cheat by paying players like some of their Power Five rivals. That puts programs like Minnesota at a competitive disadvantage....

In what decade was this article written? Which Power 5 rivals is Shama referring to?

In what decade was this article written? Which Power 5 rivals is Shama referring to?
Cosplay Sid with his usual insight. Has he heard of NIL?

And before NIL, I'd say the Gophers SHOULD have been paying players to keep up with other teams. College FB and BB is a dirty business like many forms of entertainment. I've long since accepted that.

I understand what Shama is trying to say. The Gophers are approaching NIL as it was originally proposed - a way for players to pick up some extra income by licensing their name, image and likeness.

many other schools have exploited the lack of rules and oversight to turn NIL into something it was never intended to be - Pay for Play.

you can applaud the Gophers for an ethical stance. But, until something happens to change the status quo, the Gophers are choosing to put themselves at a competitive disadvantage.

that may be noble, but a cynic would say it's also stupid.

if I had a few Million $ sitting around, I would gladly shell out some cash to "buy" some 4* and 5* players for the Gophers. Now, I just need to find a few Million $.................

If I had a few Million $ sitting around, I would gladly shell out some cash to "buy" some 4* and 5* players for the Gophers. Now, I just need to find a few Million $.................
This. The intent of playing the game is to win. Winning costs money.

per Shama:

Other than Nebraska, the Gophers have to go farther to recruit much of their roster than any school in the conference. Out of state recruiting is a must because Minnesota high schools don’t produce a lot of Big Ten prospects. And when it comes to recruiting, remember this about the University of Minnesota: the Gophers don’t cheat by paying players like some of their Power Five rivals. That puts programs like Minnesota at a competitive disadvantage.

The Gophers are a developmental program with a roster that has no five-star and few four-star players coming out of high school. Often developing talent works but there are also ongoing times of poor results. An epicenter in the last two games is the receiving corps. Too often receivers aren’t gaining separation to get open. There are instances where effort is lacking, like not contesting a catch or poor route running.

To be successful the Gophers need balance between passing and running. The passing game didn’t show up in the last two losses, with Minnesota scoring a total of 24 points. In the first four games of the season Minnesota had that balance and scored over 30 points in three nonconference wins and a Big Ten road victory at Michigan State. No doubt, though, one of the nation’s easiest schedules helped fuel the Gophers’ success.

Go Gophers!!
For an avid Gopher fan it is probably hard to accept his list of the U's shortcomings.

Give me a break, If you cannot recruit with all of the resources of the Twin Cities, it has been a loosing program for decades, players want to play for winning programs. like NDSU
Mpls is my favorite town so don’t get me wrong when I throw some January Minnetonka lake water at you.

1. Mpls is a shithole compared to what it was prior to George Floyd. Downtown is pretty sparsely filled and the crime is way too high. South Mpls is pretty much a free for all.

2. Minnesota is cold as crap! Kids can go anywhere. Why freeze?

3. There is very old history but negative football legacy is a tough sell. Thank God for Fleck who is getting guys into the pros! He is slowly fixing this point.

4. Minnesota is pretty tough to get into, even General College.

5. Some people don’t like a city school and want to be where the town exists strictly because of the school. Combine this with #1 and you eliminate a lot of kids right away.

6. Lack of SEC level ravenous fans. Minnesotans don’t live and die Gophers. There’s lots of other things to do and we are several generations removed from Gopher football really mattering. It’s a more fun environment elsewhere.

There’s tons of things to do which make the Twin Cities Awesome! But you can find fun in lots of places where there is better football and more opportunity.

We gotta win consistently to establish a school known for football to get 4 and 5 star players. The question is how long?

Wisconsin has sustained winning for 20+ years it seems like and they still can’t get more than 3 4* players in a single class while OSU gets at least 12 every year. Until the football budget is equivalent to OSU, Michigan and PSU, we won’t get the blue blood players no matter how many games we win.

Basketball has a way better shot where it only takes a few to have a historic season.

Last edited:

Minnesota is a Basketball and Hockey state. We've known it to be harder to recruit the top players for football.
PJ continues pumping out NFL talent and winning 8+ games a year consistently is all the University really needs right now. I'd say we're doing just fine.

Give me a break, If you cannot recruit with all of the resources of the Twin Cities, it has been a loosing program for decades, players want to play for winning programs. like NDSU
We've debated this for years. Would kids rather play for an Iowa or Wisconsin, where they are the biggest show in town, or here in a major city.

Consider the poster when you ask a question like this.....entirely possible he believes just that....
We could steal every NDSU coach, recruit, etc and we'd be a bottom program in the B1G

One is Noah from Crosby, the senior TE that the pros were looking at.
That's one. And I'm aware of him. PJ offered him just before signing day and was only on job few weeks.

You have at least one more to get to couple

a couple, just saying players want to play on traditionally winning teams.
. . . and you picked an awful example.

You know what trumps winning? Playing in the highest league.

Rutgers wouldn't lose recruits to St. Thomas or NDSU.

I understand what Shama is trying to say. The Gophers are approaching NIL as it was originally proposed - a way for players to pick up some extra income by licensing their name, image and likeness.

many other schools have exploited the lack of rules and oversight to turn NIL into something it was never intended to be - Pay for Play.

you can applaud the Gophers for an ethical stance. But, until something happens to change the status quo, the Gophers are choosing to put themselves at a competitive disadvantage.

if I had a few Million $ sitting around, I would gladly shell out some cash to "buy" some 4* and 5* players for the Gophers. Now, I just need to find a few Million $.................

They’d one of his recent better efforts IMO

Are you saying NDSU isn’t cheating? If so, I have some desert property you might be interested in.

per Shama:

Go Gophers!!
He is not a subscriber to PJ Fleck's Zig-Zag chart.

Top Bottom