Shama: Forget Contract Extension for Smith

So your saying the recruiting could be worse without the extension. That is scary considering the recruiting thus far has been far from impressive when they were more years left on his contract. I don't want Tubby fired but I also don't think that he deserves an extension at this time.

I disagree. Two straight Top 20 to 25 rated classes in 2008 and 2009. Several good (not great) recruits (Hollins, Walker, Eliason) in 2010 with several late additions. Two very good recruits (Coleman, Hollins) in 2011.

There are some serious donors who are not happy at all. That does not mean they are correct, but they are not happy.
Extenuating circumstances and uncontrollable situation are not the same phrase. There were extenuating circumstances, but if they had seriously pursued a point guard last year, this year would not have been this bad. For what this staff gets paid they should be recruiting their ass off. That is not the image I have.
If this staff was at an MAC school, I would understand their recruiting, they are not.

There are some serious donors who are not happy at all. That does not mean they are correct, but they are not happy.
Extenuating circumstances and uncontrollable situation are not the same phrase. There were extenuating circumstances, but if they had seriously pursued a point guard last year, this year would not have been this bad. For what this staff gets paid they should be recruiting their ass off. That is not the image I have.
If this staff was at an MAC school, I would understand their recruiting, they are not.

They did - Cory Joseph. McD A-A PG was Gophers #1 recruit last year. They didn't get him.

The Gophers had two quality PG on THIS year's team - Al Nolen and Devoe Joseph. One got hurt, the other quit.

Dump, ditch and throw maturi under the bus right now! He is really going to mess this up...just as he has messed the revenue sports up again...and again...and again.

Unless Shama is actually Maturi writing under a pseudonym, he has no control over what the current administration will do with Coach Smith's contract. That was his take, after being more than slightly butt-hurt over the past season, not inside information from the AD office.

But don't let your blinding hate of Maturi get in the way of a good rant.

To say Tubby needs to go is stupid.

To say Tubby has been anything but a disappointment here so far is stupid.

To say Tubby has been anything but a disappointment here so far is stupid.

Anything but a disappointment? I think that is a stretch, at the very least. The dark days of the end of Monson's tenure here are not too distant a memory. This season sucked. But to think that Tubby has reached a glass ceiling here is ridiculous compared to where we were not too long ago.

Anything but a disappointment? I think that is a stretch, at the very least. The dark days of the end of Monson's tenure here are not too distant a memory. This season sucked. But to think that Tubby has reached a glass ceiling here is ridiculous compared to where we were not too long ago.

When did I say he reached his glass ceiling? He will rightly have time to improve in the next few years but his first four years here should be considered nothing else but a disappointment. Like it or not (are you reading this FOT?), the standards for a Tubby Smith coached team should be a tad higher than "well gosh darn, he's done better than Monson so I'm happy."

...but his first four years here should be considered nothing else but a disappointment.

Wins in the 4 years prior to Tubby:

Wins the first 4 years of Tubby:
17 (so far, ugh)

80 wins vs. 58 wins.

I'm disappointed in this year, but not disappointed in his overall impact on the program. Not to mention his impact on ticket sales since he's arrived on campus.

Don't take the glass ceiling line too seriously...I must have reverted to a Mason-like rant state.

I also expect more out of him, but I also expected for him to have a full team to put on the court this season, including Royce White, Paul Carter, Justin Cobbs, Al Nolen and the book of Joseph 4:20. I truly believe we would all be looking at this season from a different set of spectacles if he had everyone on the floor he anticipated having.

Wins in the 4 years prior to Tubby:

Wins the first 4 years of Tubby:
17 (so far, ugh)

80 wins vs. 58 wins.

I'm disappointed in this year, but not disappointed in his overall impact on the program. Not to mention his impact on ticket sales since he's arrived on campus.

Don't take the glass ceiling line too seriously...I must have reverted to a Mason-like rant state.

I also expect more out of him, but I also expected for him to have a full team to put on the court this season, including Royce White, Paul Carter, Justin Cobbs, Al Nolen and the book of Joseph 4:20. I truly believe we would all be looking at this season from a different set of spectacles if he had everyone on the floor he anticipated having.

I hear what you're saying, The tough part is trying to measure the loss of the guys we should have had this year (or even going back to Royce & TM last year) vs. our overall record these last two years. That is why I still believe in Tubby but the fact remains I am disappointed with what has happened so far vs. my expectations when he arrived in 2007. It might not be fair, but Tubby Smith brings with him expectations that are different than any coach we've had in our history, especially when you consider the NCAA expansion since the early 80s.

They did - Cory Joseph. McD A-A PG was Gophers #1 recruit last year. They didn't get him.

The Gophers had two quality PG on THIS year's team - Al Nolen and Devoe Joseph. One got hurt, the other quit.

Stop with the BS FOT.

Joeseph is not and was not a pg. The offense stunk with him at the point, other than a few games.

CORY Joseph is PG and was Gophers #1 recruiting target in 2010.

Not Devoe Joseph.

Sheesh.

Cory Joseph plays for Texas. Stop talking about him like he was ever part of this university for even a second. Yeah, the Gophers wanted him and missed. So did many other schools with many other players.

At the end of the day Tubby Smith only had 2 PGs on this team - both of which cannot shoot ouside of a layup, and one of them - the one Tubby recruited - can't play defense or stop turning the ball over. That's the truth FOT. No BS statistics about Smith's past can defend this.

Cory Joseph plays for Texas. Stop talking about him like he was ever part of this university for even a second. Yeah, the Gophers wanted him and missed. So did many other schools with many other players.

At the end of the day Tubby Smith only had 2 PGs on this team - both of which cannot shoot ouside of a layup, and one of them can't play defense or stop turning the ball over. That's the truth FOT. No BS statistics about Smith's past can defend this.

The original ? was Why Didn't Gophers Recruit PG In 2010 Class?

Answer is They Did - CJ was #1 target but didn't land him.

The rest of you comments are Non Sequitur to that.

But Al Nolen was a quality PG in every respect.

So if we fire Tubby, would we try and go for a big name "Tubby Smith"-like hire?

Idiots.

Top Bottom