Shama: Forget Contract Extension for Smith

BleedGopher

Reaction score
From Shama:

Forget Contract Extension for Smith

Forget about a contract extension for Gophers coach Tubby Smith.

That’s the advice here and undoubtedly a popular position today among Gophers fans who have watched Minnesota lose 10 of its last 11 games including yesterday’s Big Ten Tournament opener against Northwestern. The possibility of a contract extension between Smith and the University of Minnesota goes back to last spring with reports now that something might yet be finalized.

In four seasons coaching the Gophers, Smith has a regular season Big Ten Conference record of 32 wins, 40 losses. If he achieves certain incentives his present contract can pay him well over $2 million annually. He signed an incentive-heavy seven-year contract in 2007.

After four years more was expected than a losing conference record and two trips to the NCAA tournament where Minnesota was one and done each time. Smith took over a losing program, but with a winning resume at Kentucky much more success was expected here by now.

Instead this has been a season of disappointments as the Gophers have fallen from a top 20 nationally-ranked team to the worst performing group in the conference in recent weeks. Included in the last 10 losses are two March wins by Northwestern, historically the league’s worst program and one that never has been to the NCAA tournament.

Smith lost his two point guards in January to set off the tailspin. Without Devoe Joseph who transferred to Oregon and Al Nolen out with a broken foot, the Gophers faltered and Smith stepped up the criticism of his remaining players.

Fans have every reason to wonder, though, if the Gophers didn’t have enough remaining talent to fare better than the current losing streak of six games. Did the coaches make the best of what they had to work with?

Frustrated followers include season ticket holders and Gopher letter winners from the past. They’re asking various questions including why the offense is so ineffective and why some players don’t improve. They’re not just disappointed with this season and the four year results. They don’t like the coach’s specific criticism of players, although it’s a roster that he and his staff put together.

At least one person among those who have complained to Sports Headliners had an answer, too. If asked, he’s not contributing to the potential funding for a new practice facility on campus.

Right now there are a lot of questions about the program including what kind of a roster and performance Smith can put together for next season. On the subject of a contract extension, the only correct answer for now is no.

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

People write in to Shama Sports Headliners?

That May Well Be What Happens

But if so, recruiting will go nowhere. Not many good players sign to play for coaches with fewer than 4 years on their contract.

Example, his contract at UK was 5 years (1998 through 2002 seasons). In 2001, Larry Ivy (UK AD) refused to offer him an extension despite UK having averaged 27.5 W (over 4 seasons) with 1 NCAA, 3 SEC, and 3 SECT titles in 4 years.

UK recruiting dropped off (#6 class in 1998, #3 in 1999) in 2000 and 01 (#12 class both years).

His contract was finally extended after 32-4 season in 2003. UK signed the #1 class in 2004.

Silly take by Shama and a disgruntled donor. This extension should have been done last year. For god's sake, if we could get it done for Brewster when it was clear that ship was sinking we can surely do it now.

I agree with FoT. It hurts recruiting to not have a coach signed to a long term deal. Smith has been a good coach with a long track record of winning. I'm not going to judge him based on one bad season that had a lot of bad bounces.

Shama can suck it. What a fair weather fan he is. All that because of one bad year? He needs to get a life.

Shama has always been an extreme homer, just odd that he flips so quickly.

Silly take by Shama and a disgruntled donor. This extension should have been done last year. For god's sake, if we could get it done for Brewster when it was clear that ship was sinking we can surely do it now.

Agreed. Really dumb article.

But if so, recruiting will go nowhere. Not many good players sign to play for coaches with fewer than 4 years on their contract.

Example, his contract at UK was 5 years (1998 through 2002 seasons). In 2001, Larry Ivy (UK AD) refused to offer him an extension despite UK having averaged 27.5 W (over 4 seasons) with 1 NCAA, 3 SEC, and 3 SECT titles in 4 years.

UK recruiting dropped off (#6 class in 1998, #3 in 1999) in 2000 and 01 (#12 class both years).

His contract was finally extended after 32-4 season in 2003. UK signed the #1 class in 2004.

Geez Louise....how predictable was it that you would post this???

Shama is a joke. It takes a lot to get laid off by the sports pages in town, obviously, because Souhan still has a job. The fact that he did so, and now runs his own "sports opinion site," (not a blog, because those are for people in their mother's basement) combined with his mediocre writing, and plain stupid opinions render him completely irrelevant.

Shama is the disgruntled donor.

Better idea: buy Tubby out. Send him packing. He's not motivated, over-rated as a coaching "talent", and showed his true character by throwing his players under the bus publicly rather than taking full responsibility for the poor showing on the court this year. His basketball offense IQ has been obviously lacking for years here. The one thing he's always been able to hang his hat on--bulldog, tenacious, in-your-face defense, has disappeared. He's lost the team and thus, the program is doomed with him on board. I want him gone, the sooner the better.

Better idea: buy Tubby out. Send him packing. He's not motivated, over-rated as a coaching "talent", and showed his true character by throwing his players under the bus publicly rather than taking full responsibility for the poor showing on the court this year. His basketball offense IQ has been obviously lacking for years here. The one thing he's always been able to hang his hat on--bulldog, tenacious, in-your-face defense, has disappeared. He's lost the team and thus, the program is doomed with him on board. I want him gone, the sooner the better.

Hope your #100 post makes more sense.

If there weren't so many extenuating circumstances and Tubby laid a 6-12 year on us, I'd agree. But too much "extras", and he does have some history of bouncing back, I give the extension, incentive laden still though.

might be true with this year's team.

I do not agree with Shama on many points, but right now there is no way to make sure his opinions are wrong, either. There must be an antithesis to a thesis when there is a problem. In that sense, I can give him a nod for the conviction in his observation of Tubby's shortcomings and the subsequent conclusion on the contract extension. At least, his criticism is not pointless without any credible implementation. This can only help to keep things honest in MN.

Dump, ditch and throw maturi under the bus right now! He is really going to mess this up...just as he has messed the revenue sports up again...and again...and again.

He has one other.....

former Gopher that he is in close contact with, so I bet I know who it is. But I agree with FTB, in thinking he may have been alluding to himself.

I wouldn't count on it. Probably a UK fan.

For your information, I was a fan of Gopher Basketball as a kid growing up in MN in the 60's...watched Lou Hudson and Archie Clark battle Cazzie Russell, was in the stands a TON during Musselman's rise, and attended the U during McHale's run, even met him in Dinkytown. Have followed the team loyally ever since from my various places of residence. I carry the Gopher torch proudly "behind enemy lines" here in Madison, WI. I played basketball for the largest HS in MN at the time, though did not get much playing time. Point is, I know good Gopher basketball and what we're getting for nearly $2MM per year is nowhere near "good".

We need to demand better of this coach, this AD, and perhaps most importantly, this administration. The athletic program overall is not getting the job done, and I sense Tubby is just coasting now. Sorry--not good enough. OUT!

For your information, I was a fan of Gopher Basketball as a kid growing up in MN in the 60's...watched Lou Hudson and Archie Clark battle Cazzie Russell, was in the stands a TON during Musselman's rise, and attended the U during McHale's run, even met him in Dinkytown. Have followed the team loyally ever since from my various places of residence. I carry the Gopher torch proudly "behind enemy lines" here in Madison, WI. I played basketball for the largest HS in MN at the time, though did not get much playing time. Point is, I know good Gopher basketball and what we're getting for nearly $2MM per year is nowhere near "good".

We need to demand better of this coach, this AD, and perhaps most importantly, this administration. The athletic program overall is not getting the job done, and I sense Tubby is just coasting now. Sorry--not good enough. OUT!

FIRE ALL THE COACHES!!

So your saying the recruiting could be worse without the extension. That is scary considering the recruiting thus far has been far from impressive when they were more years left on his contract. I don't want Tubby fired but I also don't think that he deserves an extension at this time.

So your saying the recruiting could be worse without the extension. That is scary considering the recruiting thus far has been far from impressive when they were more years left on his contract. I don't want Tubby fired but I also don't think that he deserves an extension at this time.

You can't go year to year, when is his current contract ending. Renew him for another four years. I think his recruiting has been decent, he's missed on a few, pg last year, and shooters for next year, but I think it has been pretty good.

Top Bottom