Shama: Fans are often impatient but Gophers’ redshirt sophomore QB Athan Kaliakmanis deserves understanding.

I mean Purdue threw for 3500 yards last year with one fringe NFL WR on that roster. Having a talented QB and a good system go a long way.
Fleck isn't changing his scheme any time soon.

Fleck isn't changing his scheme any time soon.
I agree. more am just meaning we aren't going to get NFL caliber transfers in here, but we do have the ability to run a different coordinator out there who doesn't run 2-3 man routes with a max protect on a 3rd and 8 4-5 times/game.

I agree. more am just meaning we aren't going to get NFL caliber transfers in here, but we do have the ability to run a different coordinator out there who doesn't run 2-3 man routes with a max protect on a 3rd and 8 4-5 times/game.
It's funny you say that because I just started to notice that this week in the 4th quarter. No trust in the OL to pass protect when needed and QB to be comfortable.

It's funny you say that because I just started to notice that this week in the 4th quarter. No trust in the OL to pass protect when needed and QB to be comfortable.
been called numerous times all year. I notice it most when they leave BSF in to block, who is a terrible pass blocker.

Gopher Gridiron podcast mentioned he has 7 touchdowns and 2 interceptions over the last three weeks and receivers had multiple dropped passes against Purdue that could have made him look better. They see him making slow progress and they've played the game at the collegiate level so I have a lot of respect for their views. I think he still has a chance to be very good. It's the toughest position to play in all of sports. It might take more time or it might never happen. Who really knows? At least he does have a lot of talent and high upside. The team still needs to bring in as much competition for him as possible - recruiting and transfer portal.

Gopher Gridiron podcast mentioned he has 7 touchdowns and 2 interceptions over the last three weeks and receivers had multiple dropped passes against Purdue that could have made him look better. They see him making slow progress and they've played the game at the collegiate level so I have a lot of respect for their views. I think he still has a chance to be very good. It's the toughest position to play in all of sports. It might take more time or it might never happen. Who really knows? At least he does have a lot of talent and high upside. The team still needs to bring in as much competition for him as possible - recruiting and transfer portal.
I think it will continue to be tough for him as long as PJ demonstrably loses faith in him if he makes a mistake like a pick and or during the second half of games. it seems like last year at Wisconsin he played with a load of confidence that appears to be lacking this year.

One play in the 2nd half sums it up for me. Jackson gets wide open deep on a double move and AK slightly overthrows him for a completion but not a TD. As football fans, I think we have all come to expect in that situation that most good high school, college, and pro QB's make that throw for a TD. But as Gopher fans, somehow we were still thrilled on Saturday that it wasn't an incompletion. Just another example of where AK has to improve.

been called numerous times all year. I notice it most when they leave BSF in to block, who is a terrible pass blocker.
If they notice other teams keying BSF leaving him in to block is likely to try to tighten up the secondary

One play in the 2nd half sums it up for me. Jackson gets wide open deep on a double move and AK slightly overthrows him for a completion but not a TD. As football fans, I think we have all come to expect in that situation that most good high school, college, and pro QB's make that throw for a TD. But as Gopher fans, somehow we were still thrilled on Saturday that it wasn't an incompletion. Just another example of where AK has to improve.
Yup. I can’t remember if we missed or made a FG that drive.

First drive of game he completed a deep ball to wide open Jackson. But hung it up so bad it was two steps away from a pick.

And, despite that the blitz resulted in three guys converging on the QB seemingly unblocked.

Whether people understand his struggles or not, he will be the starting quarterback next season barring injury.

Top Bottom