Shama: Coach P reached out to Coach Pitino to ask about Coyle before taking Gophers job

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shama:

When Dawn Plitzuweit was considering becoming the women’s basketball coach for the Gophers earlier this year, she spoke with Richard Pitino about what it is like to work under Minnesota AD Mark Coyle. “I am not exactly sure how they got connected but I was surprised and also excited that she did talk to Richard because I knew she was interested (in Minnesota), and I knew Richard—how he felt about this place—that it would be a good conversation.”

Pitino, who left his job as Minnesota’s men’s coach in March of 2021 to take over at New Mexico, has long had a solid relationship with Coyle. “…We just have a really good friendship and really thankful for that friendship,” Coyle said.

Go Gophers!!

Per Shama:

When Dawn Plitzuweit was considering becoming the women’s basketball coach for the Gophers earlier this year, she spoke with Richard Pitino about what it is like to work under Minnesota AD Mark Coyle. “I am not exactly sure how they got connected but I was surprised and also excited that she did talk to Richard because I knew she was interested (in Minnesota), and I knew Richard—how he felt about this place—that it would be a good conversation.”
Who is being quoted? Confusing Shama note.

Who is being quoted? Confusing Shama note.
If it was on a multiple choice test, I'd choose Coyle. And in the next paragraphs he attributes a quote about the same conversation to Coyle. But ya, constructed poorly.

I can tell you how they got connected. David Williams is an assistant A.D. at New Mexico, but prior to that he was an assistant A.D. at South Dakota while Coach P was women’s basketball coach there.
Plus, it is very easy for Coach P to just give Pitino a call. Not rocket science here....

Top Bottom