Shama: Big Ten Alignment Might be Known by Sept. 1

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Big Ten Alignment Might be Known by Sept. 1

Athletic Director Joel Maturi spoke to Sports Headliners about subjects of interest to Gophers fans including Big Ten Conference expansion and division alignment. Maturi believes that with Nebraska becoming the league’s 12th team in 2011 the conference will decide how to group the teams by September 1 of this year.

No doubt there will be two divisions with six teams each but how will it look? “I don’t believe it will be solely geographical,” Maturi said.

School locales will be a factor but so too will be creating overall division and conference competitive balance, according to Maturi. Figuring out a balance between those factors will mean the Gophers likely won’t have an annual football schedule against all four of these historical and traditional rivals: Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan and Nebraska.

Maturi said the best the Gophers may hope for is to be in a division with two of those schools and through cross divisional scheduling face an additional rival each season. “You can’t keep them all,” he said.

Conference teams are expected to indefinitely continue playing eight league games and four non-nonconference. Maturi said the number of league games could be expanded some day but he doesn’t see it happening soon. One reason is that a nine game league schedule means some teams would have five home games, others four in any given year.

Maturi believes it could be awhile before, or if, the conference adds another team and perhaps moves toward what some have speculated will become a 16 member league. He and other leaders will want assurances that expansion doesn’t result in less revenue from Big Ten sources such as TV money for each existing member. Revenues per school are expected to remain the same or even grow for each school despite slicing the pie 12 ways with Nebraska coming into the league.

Maturi needs the over $20 million received annually from the Big Ten to maintain a 25 sport program of which he is proud. His athletic department has been able to operate in the black financially despite having less football income than most conference schools but more total sports than several league members.

Maturi said the Gophers expect to finish among the top 15 to 20 schools for this school year in the Learfield cup standings. That annual ranking of total sports performance by America’s colleges and universities frequently has the Gophers among the top schools.

Gopher athletes have been excelling in academics, including higher graduation rates as compared with the general student population, and also volunteering for projects in the community. Maturi said the school’s 750 athletes put in about 7,500 hours of community volunteer time during the past school year.

Maturi Talks Football Wins, Tubby Contract & Trial

Maturi said that following the Gophers' Insight Bowl loss to Iowa State last December he saw something in the locker room that he hasn’t always witnessed in football and other sports. There were 115 players crying after the Gophers experienced a 14-13 loss to the Cyclones, a game Minnesota probably should have won.

“As a former player and coach, that meant a lot to me. It showed the hurt they felt and that they were buying into the program,” Maturi said. “They poured their hearts and souls into that game.”

Coach Tim Brewster’s first three seasons have produced records of 1-11, 7-6 and 6-7. A common off-season question is how many games does Minnesota need to win this fall to lessen the heat on the coach from the public and media.

But evaluation of Brewster for Maturi includes factors like the difficulty of the schedule, key injuries, competitiveness, progress of the program and academics. “It’s not about just wins and losses, and won’t be,” Maturi said. “In the end he has to win but I am not going to be impatient if the other things are done right.”

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Big Ten Alignment Might be Known by Sept. 1

Athletic Director Joel Maturi spoke to Sports Headliners about subjects of interest to Gophers fans including Big Ten Conference expansion and division alignment. Maturi believes that with Nebraska becoming the league’s 12th team in 2011 the conference will decide how to group the teams by September 1 of this year.

No doubt there will be two divisions with six teams each but how will it look? “I don’t believe it will be solely geographical,” Maturi said.

School locales will be a factor but so too will be creating overall division and conference competitive balance, according to Maturi. Figuring out a balance between those factors will mean the Gophers likely won’t have an annual football schedule against all four of these historical and traditional rivals: Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan and Nebraska.

Maturi said the best the Gophers may hope for is to be in a division with two of those schools and through cross divisional scheduling face an additional rival each season. “You can’t keep them all,” he said.

I know people don't wanna believe that it is going to be anything other than an East/West alignment and Maturi has no idea what he is doing but PSU/OSU/Michigan are going to be split up for sure.

not everyone (schools) are going to be happy the way it tunrs out but competitive balance is the top priority. what that competitive balance should look like is the big debate.

Mr Maturi's comments are rather refreshing. I get the impression that there simply is no pending hot seat for the football coaching staff in Minnesota; and it well shouldn't be. He seems to understand that program building has multiple fronts and the mere W-L columns are just one aspect of the all important whole. I agree with him that the players are buying in and that is a big time accomplishment. Moreover, Minnesota has to give itself a fair chance to benefit from the time and effort it took to compile the kind of staff of coaches they now have. It is very important that the AD keeps a broad perspective on the program and allow the hard work to take root and grow.

I think Mr. Maturi was impressed by Coach Brewster's sacrifice in his contract extension, lowering his buyout and essentially negotiating for more money for his staff, not himself. It communicated an understanding of where his program was in need of help and the willingness to pitch in to get the right hires to make The U successful in football.

The Program has made good strides on the academic front and rather swiftly dealt with off the field issues when they arose. Overall, from a public relations perspective, the Gopher Program tends to shine in a positive light. The NFL and its teams tend to hold The U in a high regard as well. In a nutshell, student - athletes matriculating The University of Minnesota are having a positive experience. This fact can only build the shine of the university over time and will reinfroce good will in the community.

You 're doing a good job Mr. Maturi. I am glad you will not allow this university to be sucked into college football abyss because of impatience and some folks lack of understanding of what it takes to rebuild this program. WE FINALLY HAVE GREAT STAFF CHEMISTRY! LET IT WORK!

I know people don't wanna believe that it is going to be anything other than an East/West alignment and Maturi has no idea what he is doing but PSU/OSU/Michigan are going to be split up for sure.

not everyone (schools) are going to be happy the way it tunrs out but competitive balance is the top priority. what that competitive balance should look like is the big debate.

It's pretty clear that competitive balance is priority #312,468. The east west split is competitively balanced over the last 10 years. That matters more than the last 17 years. The incoming freshment were in diapers 17 years ago. If Penn State goes to the <s>ACC West</s> Big Ten West, it will be all about balancing name brands.

I know that some people want to believe that PSU/OSU/Michigan need to be split-up. These people try to maintain their posture as "the voice of reason" or whatever. But their arguments have been proven false over and over and over again. I have never seen one side of a large debate collectively retrench and shift their argument so many times in the course of 2 weeks. The argument against a strict East/West alignment has really been reduced to foolishness everywhere I have looked.

All one has to do is read some of the messageboards from across the league to understand why the East/Cental alignment is a no-brainer. Nearly every fan who follows the game closely belives it is the only way to go. And these are not just people who have their finger on the pulse of the game. These are the consumers you are selling the product to. For whom, exactly, would we be be swapping PSU for Northwestern or Illinois? Not television. Not parity. And certainly not the fans.

When the SEC was bisected into divisions, they ignored parity for the sake of geography and maintaining historic rivalries and connections. The ACC, meanwhile, did not. Over the last decade most experts (whether they be experts in sports, media or marketing) have pointed to the ACC's alignment and its ridiculous quest to embody some elusive notion of parity that has caused the leagues problems. The SEC has thrived.

Do we really think the Big Ten is so stupid to repeat the exact same mistake?

I like Maturi. He seems to be doing a good job with most things. But the fact that he seems to think all is fine in the world, when fans at TCF have to wait an hour to buy a bottle of Coke, is proof that he has no absolutely no grasp of marketing to college football fans at all. I would expect the Big Ten to do pretty much the opposite of whatever Maturi thinks is a sound marketing perspective.

Maturi Refreshing?

I don't buy it. My opinion of Maturi is not high. He stated many times before the bowl game with ISU that it was the beginning of the 2010 season. I heard it many times, and didn't believe it. It's the end of the 2009 season, and the game didn't mean much, except to the team and us die-hards. Our lads aren't going to start 0-1, are they? Now, he says that he was impressed with 115 crying guys? Well, I can't comment personally, but I know someone who was there and his eyewitness account indicated that he saw plenty of Gophers that seemed to have forgotten the loss by that night. Wasn't that also when Whaley had his incident. Must've been super distraught.

It's pretty clear that competitive balance is priority #312,468. The east west split is competitively balanced over the last 10 years. That matters more than the last 17 years. The incoming freshment were in diapers 17 years ago. If Penn State goes to the <s>ACC West</s> Big Ten West, it will be all about balancing name brands.

This. Anything other than an East/West split will be about creating a branding balance. Nevermind the fact that it would actually dilute the number of times that those strong brands meet on the field.

If there is one AD I believe is on the outside looking in and has no real idea or say in what will happen with this, I'd think it is Maturi.

I would guess in order to get the East/West thing NOT to happen you would have to get a majority of the AD's and Presidents agreeing. If the balance of power difference is really that huge....they are going to have a hard time convincing the 6 Western AD's to vote anything other than East/West. The 6 in the west could simply refuse any other alignment (This is what they should do if the west is really weaker than the east).

Maturi should be pushing hard so that at least three out of WI/IA/Neb/MI are in our division if not all four. His nonchalance is incredibly frustrating.

Maturi should be pushing for a division with MN, IA, WI, NU, IL, and Indiana. That would maintain the Big 2 rivalries and it would increase the chances of winning the Big Ten.

Man, Maturi is a milquetoast wimp. "Maybe we'll keep some rivals... I hope. I'm just gonna stay quiet in the corner at the meetings."

bigtenmapcrop340x234.png

Dear Big Ten Athletic Directors and Sports Journalists,

Please stop messing with something that works perfectly.

Maturi should be pushing hard so that at least three out of WI/IA/Neb/MI are in our division if not all four. His nonchalance is incredibly frustrating.

It truly is. I read a quote from the Washington AD about how he was going to be 'pounding fists on desks', yelling and fighting to get Washington in a Division with USC and UCLA even if it didn't make sense. Try and picture Maturi making a similar statement. Go ahead. You can't do it with a straight face. But he'll probably find lots of time at the meetings to answer emails and work on Tubby's contract extension. I wonder if that will be done anytime in the next 6 months or will they just start over on it after this season?

I have no doubt Joel's input will be totally ignored by the rest of the Big Ten AD's. They have to put Minnesota in one of the conferences (East-West or North-South). Joel will be fine with wherever we land because he really has no say. If he keeps one or two of the natural rivalries he will consider it a major coup. God forbid even Wisconsin and Iowa have more clout than Minnesota does in the Big Ten. Disgusting.

I know we won that minor sports trophy that Joel is so proud of again this year. Do you think the other AD's are jealous? Do you think Joel is pushing harder for keeping the Minnesota-Penn State volleyball rivalry alive or the Minnesota-Michigan Little Brown Jug football rivalry? That's a tough one.

East/West makes the most sense: there would be three strong teams in the East (tOSU, Mich and Penn State) and three powerful teams in the West (Nebraska, Iowa and the Badgers). that's good enough for me, though I don't relish our playing Nebraska every year.

I have no doubt Joel's input will be totally ignored by the rest of the Big Ten AD's. They have to put Minnesota in one of the conferences (East-West or North-South). Joel will be fine with wherever we land because he really has no say. If he keeps one or two of the natural rivalries he will consider it a major coup. God forbid even Wisconsin and Iowa have more clout than Minnesota does in the Big Ten. Disgusting.

I know we won that minor sports trophy that Joel is so proud of again this year. Do you think the other AD's are jealous? Do you think Joel is pushing harder for keeping the Minnesota-Penn State volleyball rivalry alive or the Minnesota-Michigan Little Brown Jug football rivalry? That's a tough one.

I saw a note in the paper the other day that Iowa State was something like 26th in the director's cup standings. Iowa? In the 50's. One athletic department won a championship in a minor sport (wrestling), went to a BCS bowl, and made money hand over fist....the other? Is 20 some spots higher in the director's cup standings.

In regards to this article, Maturi concerns me on several levels. 1) when he states that Brewster will be evaluated on a number of areas at the conclusion of this season such as difficulty of schedule, competitiveness, academics, progress of the program...blah blah blah...these things mean little to me. All that matters to me is win baby win. If we had the goal of "being competitive" in WWII instead of winning we would have lost. Brewster was brought in here to bring us from mediocrity to a higher level and so far honestly we are worse than when Mason was here and Maturi was behind the choice of Brewster and he continues to focus on things that matter like difficulty of schedule and the Learfield Cup but not nearly as much as winning football games. 2) In regards to divisions, is there any doubt in any of your minds that Maturi will equivicate on what is good for Minnesota-an East/West split of conferences?! Some of you may see this criticism as mean spirited and I may be wrong in my judgement, but I have trouble believing, with the evidence displayed so far, that Maturi's choice in Brewster will help the U to be superior in football and further, I doubt he will fight for what is best for us in creating those new divisions.

East/West makes the most sense: there would be three strong teams in the East (tOSU, Mich and Penn State) and three powerful teams in the West (Nebraska, Iowa and the Badgers). that's good enough for me, though I don't relish our playing Nebraska every year.

People keep talking about competitive balance, but there's reason to think that there is any other scheme that provides better balance than an east-west split. Do they REALLY think that OSU and Michigan balance out Nebraska, Penn State, Wisconsin and Iowa? The events of 17 years ago are no longer relevant.

And Maturi had better have some preferences, because other people will. He needs to be advocating for the interests of the U or he needs to retire.

Do any of you think that it would help Maturi's cause to blather to Dave Shama about how tough he is going to be, or the hard line he is going to take on the alignment talk? How would it be beneficial for the football program if Maturi came out and said 7 wins or else? Every player on that team would feel undo pressure that would not help the team be successful. Be realistic, the AD isn't going to say what you want him to say, and furthermore, the AD SHOULDN'T say those things to the press.

these things mean little to me. All that matters to me is win baby win.

No thanks...I don't want to go through what USC is going through. Although I'm enjoying their wailing and gnashing from afar.

People keep talking about competitive balance, but there's reason to think that there is any other scheme that provides better balance than an east-west split. Do they REALLY think that OSU and Michigan balance out Nebraska, Penn State, Wisconsin and Iowa? The events of 17 years ago are no longer relevant.

Agree. Many programs run in cycles - just because Penn State has been good for much of the 17 year period they've been a part of the Big 10, doesn't mean that they'll stay that way - what happens when JoePa finally retires? To what extent will the PSU football tradition be impacted? - if they become mediocre after JoePa leaves, would the Big Ten realign again to maintain "competitive balance". Look at Notre Dame, for example. I don't think anyone would argue that ND is a traditional powerhouse in football, but if you look at just the last several years, they've been pretty ordinary (certainly not as good as Iowa or Wisconsin). Programs rise and fall over time - IMO the only alignment that makes sense is the geographic East/ West alignment.

The galling thing is defending Iowa and Wisconsin's status. The pundits and some Big Ten officials are essentially trashing Wisconsin and Iowa. It's always fun to trash Iowa and Wisconsin, of course, but there are more important things at stake. If Penn State is in the west it will be a disaster.

"The galling thing is defending Iowa and Wisconsin's staus."

Yea Wisconsin and Iowa are like black sheep family members....their the type of brothers and sisters that you don't like very much, and you seldom get along with and you try not invite to family get togethers or weddings for various reasons like getting drunk and throwing up on people and swearing in front of grandmas but they come anyway and they still are family so in the end they need to be defended against outsiders such as pundits and various folks who are not family. So, in short, Wisconsin and Iowa are part of our immediate family and are good enough and belong in our division and PSU, though also family and good enough in it's own way, belongs in the other divison with are extended family. I can't believe I just wrote that.

Rittenberg and others have proven their stupidity by ignoring the obvious East West alignment.

what is particularly galling to me is that it´s entirely possible that Indiana, Purdue, and Illinois, the 3 worst teams in the Big Ten in the last 10 years or so will all end up in the same division. On the flip side we get stuck with Penn State, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Northwestern. THat´s not parity. That´s giving Ohio State or Michigan a mulligan every year while our division is a damn hornets nest.

This angers me. What´s even worse is that with Ohio State in the other division nkow nothing sports writers (is there any other kind?) will pretend that that division is superior, based on the fact that they possess the top team in the conference.

FRUSTRATION.

The marketing people don't see "Competitive balance". All they see is that Nebraska, Michigan, OSU and Penn State are the four biggest brands. These are the people who, if you presented them with a golden goose would be the first to propose killing it for short-term gain.

Of course everyone is going to claim it's about competitive balance, but that's only because they would be blasted if they told the truth that this is about marketing. It is not at all clear that if there is any imbalance in an east-west alignment that is sufficiently great to merit disrupting a natural east-west alignment.

What happens if Michigan doesn't turn it around? If Penn State is in the west, then OSU would be the only strong team in the east. Take the top six teams, put three in each division. That's obvious to any honest person. An east-west split preserves rivalries, gives a natural geographical division, and splits the top 6 teams.

Rittenberg and others have proven their stupidity by ignoring the obvious East West alignment.

what is particularly galling to me is that it´s entirely possible that Indiana, Purdue, and Illinois, the 3 worst teams in the Big Ten in the last 10 years or so will all end up in the same division. On the flip side we get stuck with Penn State, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Northwestern. THat´s not parity. That´s giving Ohio State or Michigan a mulligan every year while our division is a damn hornets nest.

This angers me. What´s even worse is that with Ohio State in the other division nkow nothing sports writers (is there any other kind?) will pretend that that division is superior, based on the fact that they possess the top team in the conference.

FRUSTRATION.

Ding, Ding! You win the prize for uncovering the conspiracy. The Big Ten is looking at building their national appeal. tOSU and MICHIGAN are the teams with the most national appeal already in place. Even Nebraska and Penn State stand behind in their national following and support. So in most years, their (tOSU and MICHIGAN) national recruiting classes will manufacture wins over the less frequently successful squads virtually guaranteeing national interests in their end year rivalry game, the conference championship game and the resulting BCS Championship appearances that will correspondingly grow over the upcoming years. And I like your analogy for the other division as it will be a literal bees nest every year causing lost opportunities to appear in the National Championship Game any time the representative of that division triumphs in the Conference Championship Game. However, you will see teams from the tougher division with modest records destroy opponents in Bowl Games annually, raising the reputation of the Big Ten Conference as a whole.

Maturi opened his mouth again, posted in Rittenburg's blog. When I read it, he made it sound like he'd be willing to sacrifice a rivalry with WI or IA for the "good" of the conference.

Time for him to retire.

Ding, Ding! You win the prize for uncovering the conspiracy. The Big Ten is looking at building their national appeal. tOSU and MICHIGAN are the teams with the most national appeal already in place. Even Nebraska and Penn State stand behind in their national following and support. So in most years, their (tOSU and MICHIGAN) national recruiting classes will manufacture wins over the less frequently successful squads virtually guaranteeing national interests in their end year rivalry game, the conference championship game and the resulting BCS Championship appearances that will correspondingly grow over the upcoming years. And I like your analogy for the other division as it will be a literal bees nest every year causing lost opportunities to appear in the National Championship Game any time the representative of that division triumphs in the Conference Championship Game. However, you will see teams from the tougher division with modest records destroy opponents in Bowl Games annually, raising the reputation of the Big Ten Conference as a whole.

If you have teams that do just as well, but aren't as well-established brands, you have the opportunity to build the brand. The East West split gives the western teams a chance to build the brand. I get the feeling that the Big Ten is looking at contrived outcomes like the ACC did.

Fire Maturi, fire him now.

"You have to look with a wide lens," Burke said. "You have to look over a 50-year period and look at who’s been consistent. If you take a snapshot of a five-year period or a 10-year period, you may miss it. Clearly, Michigan and Ohio State and Penn State and Nebraska, if you look at a 50-year history, are your four biggest brands. It doesn’t mean they win all the time, but they’re your biggest brands. I don’t think there’ll be any disagreement among all the Big Ten ADs about that.

"You’re not going to stack all four of them in one division. You’re going to try to create some level of parity."

50 freaking years. Can any sane person imagine that what a team did 50 freaking years ago has any bearing on what parity means today? Since when it 10 years a mere "snapshot". He's admitting that this is about brands. Get the marketing drones out of the room.

“Have to is a strong term because again, we’re all willing to give up something," Maturi said. "Our traditional rivalries always have been and remain Iowa and Wisconsin. Those are the two schools we would hope to maintain competitive balance and a relationship with. But even those schools, I’m willing to take a deep breath and look at the big picture and do what is necessary because this is a good, long-term commitment for the betterment of the Big Ten.

Fire Maturi. Fire him right now. Don't wait until the end of the day, get him out of that office right freaking now.

I've never been a Fire Maturi person. I am now. His job is not to look out for the Big Ten. That's the commissioner's job. His job - his ONLY job - is to look out for the best interests of the University of Minnesota. The other schools are going to be looking out for their own interests, but Maturi is willing to give away the store. He's already said that he no longer loves his job, he can go find another job.

If Maturi gives away the store, and sacrifies the Iowa and Wisconsin rivalry...

He's given no indication that he will pursue the interests of the U, and over and over again insisted that he will persue other people's interests. He needs to be fired today. What do the Regents think of this? Surely they at least are thinking of the U's interests. It's this damned Minnesota humility that's just goes too far. It's time from some Minnesota arrogance. It's like being the kid who always settles for the smallest piece of cake.

FRUSTRATION.

over the last 10 years in the B10 conference standings Indiana and Illinois yes but not Purdue based on average finish by conference record is not one of the worst teams in the B10. their actual average finish over that time span is 6th.

East/West alignment would put 4 of the top 6 based on average finish using conference record only in the East. Is that balanced? Are we to assume that Purdue will continue to be down or does the last 10 years show they are a middle tier team in the B10?

I used 10 years as the average since everyone seems to think the last 17 years don't really matter.

Top Bottom