Shakopee DB Garrison Monroe commits to Gophers

Strike 2. Keep swinging. Who are all these lowly rated guys you are talking about?
Simple... look at the offer list for many of the kids PJ is getting. In the past many on this forum were touting how many P5 offers the Gopher commits had.

That approach seems to have been tossed out the window now that several guys best offers are UNI and the like. Literally or figuratively...the goal posts are moving on grading these commits.

On the plus side, unless the portal saves us, expectations will be pretty low for the next few years.

Simple... look at the offer list for many of the kids PJ is getting. In the past many on this forum were touting how many P5 offers the Gopher commits had.

That approach seems to have been tossed out the window now that several guys best offers are UNI and the like. Literally or figuratively...the goal posts are moving on grading these commits.

On the plus side, unless the portal saves us, expectations will be pretty low for the next few years.
LOL. The lowest rated guy is 3 stars. Also, as many others have pointed out they are offering and getting lots of in-state kids which in the day and age of NIL and transfers is probably a good strategy.

You're the one moving goal posts. Is it low ratings (your first argument). Because only Mister would be a 'low' 3 star at 83 and has a SEC offer. The local kids are all mid 3 star per 247 composite. Monroe is pending but his 247 is 84, again mid 3 star. Again, who are these lowly recruits you complain about?

Then you moved on to offers. 3 guys don't have a P5. 2 are local and just camped here. The 3rd is a Texas kid offered by Rossi...who I think has earned the benefit of the doubt with the defense

Jerome Williams - Illinois, Iowa State, Kansas, West Virginia
Darius Taylor - Boston College, Iowa, Kansas, Louisville, Maryland, Michigan State, Missouri, Pitt, Purdue, Rutgers, Syracuse, Vanderbilt, wisconsin
Zaquan Bryan - Iowa State, North Carolina
Greg Johnson - Iowa State
Martin Owusu - Cal, Iowa State, Kansas State, Vanderbilt, Washington, Washington State
Karter Menz - Kansas, Nebraska, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Washington State
Reese Tripp - Iowa State
Sam Peters - None
Latreveon McCutchin - None
Kerry Brown - Boston College, NC State, Duke, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa State, Kansas, Louisville, Maryland, Vanderbilt, Virginia, West Virginia
Drew Viotto - Maryland, Syracuse
Pierce Walsh - Rutgers
Alex Elliott - Kansas
De'Eric Mister - Kentucky
Garrison Monroe - None

Btw...a few examples of recent recruits PJ and brought in/developed without P5 offers. They've done alright for themselves.

Thomas Barber
Ko Kieft
Connor Olson
Chris Autman Bell
Thomas Rush
Mariano Sori Marin

What's your next pivot? Recruiting is on par with our division rivals. It's June and PJ has a solid class with some other big/medium fish pending. Maybe PJ has pivoted with NIL but i don't see the doom and gloom you do. To each their own I guess. Relax and enjoy the ride is my 2 cents.

“It's not complicated at all. Iowa's 3* are high 3* and ours are mostly low 3*, bordering on 2*.

And I agree with the big losses with kids portaling out at Minnesota... high school kids will be less important here and the biggest factor will be if Fleck can find a few guys to transfer in.”

Looks like Boomtime pivoted.

Fill your recruiting class with kids who are unlikely to transfer.
Supplement and fill holes with veteran players who have proven it on the field.

No sense recruiting 4 star players who flash one year at Minnesota then leave for NIL $$$.

There's a risk no matter what you do, but this seems like sound strategy to keep departures to a minimum, and I'll always trust coaches judgement early in a recruiting class more than rankings on a website.

“It's not complicated at all. Iowa's 3* are high 3* and ours are mostly low 3*, bordering on 2*.

And I agree with the big losses with kids portaling out at Minnesota... high school kids will be less important here and the biggest factor will be if Fleck can find a few guys to transfer in.”

Looks like Boomtime pivoted.
No pivot, but it's clear to me that Fleck has realized the portal is our biggest asset given the problems with high school recruiting.

No pivot, but it's clear to me that Fleck has realized the portal is our biggest asset given the problems with high school recruiting.
I think Fleck still believes the top asset is his Culture. He’s also recently said numerous times
that Minnesota is a development program. In order to be a development program you need to recruit raw talent, which comes from high schools. Fleck seems to wisely the portal to fill in the holes AND balance the roster.

The portal is not our biggest asset, it is just a tool Fleck is willing to use in order to help improve the roster.

Good lord man there has to be somewhere else for you to troll than this place....

Should we lower our expectations? The Gophers have a solid developmental program. They recruit developmental players that fit their system and astutely recruit skilled players to fill their needs.

The Gophers play a consistent team game. I can't explain the loss to BGSU or Illinois. Maybe it was Mike Sanford, Jr. They still finish with a 9-4 record despite losing key players to injury. Just think what could have been if Kirk Ciarrocca was the Offensive Coordinator.

Will they be able to win a title with the way they run the program? I think they can, but they have to be lucky with injuries and in their recruiting and mix of talent depth.

Should we lower our expectations? The Gophers have a solid developmental program. They recruit developmental players that fit their system and astutely recruit skilled players to fill their needs.

The Gophers play a consistent team game. I can't explain the loss to BGSU or Illinois. Maybe it was Mike Sanford, Jr. They still finish with a 9-4 record despite losing key players to injury. Just think what could have been if Kirk Ciarrocca was the Offensive Coordinator.

Will they be able to win a title with the way they run the program? I think they can, but they have to be lucky with injuries and in their recruiting and mix of talent depth.
Boomie is just mad we just beat out his Hawkeyes for a RB.

You're the one moving goal posts. Is it low ratings (your first argument). Because only Mister would be a 'low' 3 star at 83 and has a SEC offer. The local kids are all mid 3 star per 247 composite. Monroe is pending but his 247 is 84, again mid 3 star. Again, who are these lowly recruits you complain about?

Then you moved on to offers. 3 guys don't have a P5. 2 are local and just camped here. The 3rd is a Texas kid offered by Rossi...who I think has earned the benefit of the doubt with the defense

Jerome Williams - Illinois, Iowa State, Kansas, West Virginia
Darius Taylor - Boston College, Iowa, Kansas, Louisville, Maryland, Michigan State, Missouri, Pitt, Purdue, Rutgers, Syracuse, Vanderbilt, wisconsin
Zaquan Bryan - Iowa State, North Carolina
Greg Johnson - Iowa State
Martin Owusu - Cal, Iowa State, Kansas State, Vanderbilt, Washington, Washington State
Karter Menz - Kansas, Nebraska, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Washington State
Reese Tripp - Iowa State
Sam Peters - None
Latreveon McCutchin - None
Kerry Brown - Boston College, NC State, Duke, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa State, Kansas, Louisville, Maryland, Vanderbilt, Virginia, West Virginia
Drew Viotto - Maryland, Syracuse
Pierce Walsh - Rutgers
Alex Elliott - Kansas
De'Eric Mister - Kentucky
Garrison Monroe - None

Btw...a few examples of recent recruits PJ and brought in/developed without P5 offers. They've done alright for themselves.

Thomas Barber
Ko Kieft
Connor Olson
Chris Autman Bell
Thomas Rush
Mariano Sori Marin

What's your next pivot? Recruiting is on par with our division rivals. It's June and PJ has a solid class with some other big/medium fish pending. Maybe PJ has pivoted with NIL but i don't see the doom and gloom you do. To each their own I guess. Relax and enjoy the ride is my 2 cents.
This kid can pivot so quick he makes Kevin McHale look like a potato farmer.

If that's clear to you, thank goodness you have nothing important to think about.

What problem with high school recruiting? Ranked 10th for 2023 class with Brown, Howard and Davis still in the mix. Picked up a high instate 2024 prospect. Always going to bring in portal players like Wight, Gibbons, etc.

You're delusional again in be the ultimate apologist for our HC.

The discussion is about how, suddenly, PJ is recruiting all these lower rated in State kids. People are wondering why it's happening and I gave a scenario as to why.

Sorry that some here don't like my POV.

BTW: I don't think too many people outside of the school where he's coaching like Bielema much.
He really isn't recruiting *lower* rated MN kids. They are on par with the MN kids we have in previous classes, and have a chance to grab Howard. In addition, the avg commit rating is 86.25 which is down .75 from PJs best class 2 years about, and up about .2 from last year. We have consistently hovered high 85's and low 86's with PJ while he has been here with the exception of '17. Rankings aren't everything but we have a chance to have one of our best classes ever on paper.

Historically (across numerous staffs), the guys who get offered after impressing camps have really turned out good for the Gophers. Eric Murray notoriously dominated Andre McDonald at a camp, Steve Richardson, etc.
PJ Fleck is a disciple of the "too." Steve Richardson was passed over by many teams because he was too "small" to play his position.

You're delusional again in be the ultimate apologist for our HC.

The discussion is about how, suddenly, PJ is recruiting all these lower rated in State kids. People are wondering why it's happening and I gave a scenario as to why.

Sorry that some here don't like my POV.

BTW: I don't think too many people outside of the school where he's coaching like Bielema much.

You started a discussion on how "Fleck can't recruit Illinois because of BB" and you moved the goalposts because your point made no sense since BB is striking out in Illinois not closing the border as you boldly claimed. Then you got huffy because the discussion you started got shifted by you!

That is some next level cognitive dissonance Trollbot!

You started a discussion on how "Fleck can't recruit Illinois because of BB" and you moved the goalposts because your point made no sense since BB is striking out in Illinois not closing the border as you boldly claimed. Then you got huffy because the discussion you started got shifted by you!

That is some next level cognitive dissonance Trollbot!
Your ignorance is showing. Check out the 2023 Illinois football commits and how many are from the State of Illinois.

If you still want to argue after that... let me know.

What problem with high school recruiting? Ranked 10th for 2023 class with Brown, Howard and Davis still in the mix. Picked up a high instate 2024 prospect. Always going to bring in portal players like Wight, Gibbons, etc.
Unfortunately, current rankings are more based on volume than player ratings. Applying the player ratings to rankings puts the Gophs outside the top 20 on a "per player" scale.

But I can certainly understand looking for something to hang your hat on!

Boomie is just mad we just beat out his Hawkeyes for a RB.
"His Hawkeyes"...LOL

I just looked... they got the #22 rb, we got the #32. You really want to use that comparison to try and diss me?

Again... LOL

Try harder or your posse will need to come defend you.

I remember when Boye Mafe was a lowly rated in state recruit with only one other P5 offer from Rutgers. The Gophers should have totally passed on the now 2nd round NFL draft pick.

Go back to the Iowa board loser.
Jerry Kill lost it on that one.

Your ignorance is showing. Check out the 2023 Illinois football commits and how many are from the State of Illinois.

So you think Fleck should recruit Illinois more even though their average player ranking is lower than ours? Make up your mind man.

They have five…only two are top 20 in the state. You call that locked up? So silly.

So you think Fleck should recruit Illinois more even though their average player ranking is lower than ours? Make up your mind man.
At least two of the Illinois commits that are from IL don't have P5 offers other than Illinois either lol. Not sure how thats different than Sam Peters and Garrison Monroe.

Top Bottom