Shakopee DB Garrison Monroe commits to Gophers

Great report on him. He's going to get better yet! Welcome!

Are the Gophers getting close to the record for in-state commits?

Sounds like he really surprised the staff at the camp! That's a great sign!

Sounds like he really surprised the staff at the camp! That's a great sign!
Historically (across numerous staffs), the guys who get offered after impressing camps have really turned out good for the Gophers. Eric Murray notoriously dominated Andre McDonald at a camp, Steve Richardson, etc.

Historically (across numerous staffs), the guys who get offered after impressing camps have really turned out good for the Gophers. Eric Murray notoriously dominated Andre McDonald at a camp, Steve Richardson, etc.
And a former Georgia Southern WR commit who earned his first power 5 offer after a strong showing at a summer camp.

Sounds like they like his versatility, looks like a good prospect to play in that nickle slot.

And I bet you're the first guy to complain when a MN kid goes to NDSU and succeeds.
He doesn't care, he is an Iowa fan.

It's confusing because why would a grown man pretend to be a a fan of a middle of the road college football program? Of all the things to pretend to be, it just a bit odd and demented.

But no, he doesn't care, he is a Hawkeye fan.

I predicted Fleck would get shut down in Illinois when BB was hired.

It's happened and PJ is stuck taking many local kids with few, if any, P5 offers.

This is why the Gophers will need to be active in the portal. High level high schoolers won't be coming here outside of an occasional exception.

That's the new reality.

I predicted Fleck would get shut down in Illinois when BB was hired.

It's happened and PJ is stuck taking many local kids with few, if any, P5 offers.

This is why the Gophers will need to be active in the portal. High level high schoolers won't be coming here outside of an occasional exception.

That's the new reality.
I get it, you like BB since he’s a former Hawkeye, but you’re delusional. Illinois has landed one instate player that Fleck offered, they only have 2 top 20 instate kids committed, that’s less than NW. What a bizarre take. Even if BB was locking up Illinois, which he clearly isn’t even close to locking up, you act like Fleck isn’t allowed to recruit the other 48 states.

Last edited:

I get it, you like BB since he’s a former Hawkeye, but you’re delusional. Illinois has landed one instate player that Fleck offered, they only have 2 top 20 instate kids committed, that’s less than NW. What a bizarre take. Even if BB was locking up Illinois, which he clearly isn’t even close to locking up, you act like Fleck isn’t allowed to recruit the other 48 states.
You're delusional again in be the ultimate apologist for our HC.

The discussion is about how, suddenly, PJ is recruiting all these lower rated in State kids. People are wondering why it's happening and I gave a scenario as to why.

Sorry that some here don't like my POV.

BTW: I don't think too many people outside of the school where he's coaching like Bielema much.

The discussion is about how, suddenly, PJ is recruiting all these lower rated in State kids. People are wondering why it's happening and I gave a scenario as to why.

BTW: I don't think too many people outside of the school where he's coaching like Bielema much.

Looks like you got something right. For once.

IMO, you gotta trust/ like when a kid comes to camp and earns a scholarship. The staff can watch as much tape as they want but for the majority of kids, tapes are going to be highlight reels and the level of competition as well as other variables are tough to judge. When a kid like Monroe shows up to camp and the coaches see him compete against other top kids, and he passes the eye test, I have much more confidence in this offer than offering a kid from Kentucky based on his tape.

That's not the discussion, you're trying to change the discussion to that, and your scenario makes no sense, unless you think BB is somehow preventing Fleck from landing Illinois kids, while also not landing them himself....nevermind, it makes no sense. By the way, 5 of the 7 lowest rated kids in this class are from out of state.

Fleck landed recruits from Illinois:
2017: 4
2018: 2
2019: 2
2020: 0
2021: 5
2022: 0
2023: 1 so far

You gave a stupid scenario that isn't backed by anything. MN landed 0 in 2020 before Bielema was even around.

Well all those posters who bitch about us not taking enough local guys ought to be happy.
Given how lowly most of these guys are rated, I think there might be another explanation. Have to think there are stud recruits or younger brothers at some of these Minnesota high schools and Fleck merely wants a "foot in the door" to get the better players in a few years. That strategy certainly worked in the past as you look at how Eggum got Gable Steveson to the "U".

So... he's willing to take guys that are playing for St Thomas in a few years right now in hopes of better days ahead.

Liebert's tweet kinda explains it... "Top offers from UNI/SDSU/NDakota".

Given how lowly most of these guys are rated, I think there might be another explanation. Have to think there are stud recruits or younger brothers at some of these Minnesota high schools and Fleck merely wants a "foot in the door" to get the better players in a few years. That strategy certainly worked in the past as you look at how Eggum got Gable Steveson to the "U".

So... he's willing to take guys that are playing for St Thomas in a few years right now in hopes of better days ahead.

I remember when Boye Mafe was a lowly rated in state recruit with only one other P5 offer from Rutgers. The Gophers should have totally passed on the now 2nd round NFL draft pick.

Go back to the Iowa board loser.

Strike 2. Keep swinging. Who are all these lowly rated guys you are talking about?

These MN kids are good players. Anyone rated above .8500 should be highly considered by Fleck.

I think its much more simple in that we have had a 9-4 and 11-2 record in the last two full seasons. These MN kids really want to be a part of the program and Fleck mutually wants them to be Gophers.

Top Bottom