Seven Years of the Row the Boat Culture

My deal is that I think it is beneath the dignity of a Big Ten team.

Our teams/institutions should be bigger than any one individual and marketing this Cult of Personality reflects poorly on the conference. We are not the MAC, we are the Big Ten.

So, yes, that's "my deal."

Glad you're carrying the burden of the Big Ten on your shoulders. Please show me a link on the Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State boards where you ripped their proud BT institutions for the "cult of personality" concerns of our Big Ten brethren, because no way are you obsessed with just Fleck.

Go Gophers!!

Glad you're carrying the burden of the Big Ten on your shoulders. Please show me a link on the Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State boards where you ripped their proud BT institutions for the "cult of personality" concerns of our Big Ten brethren, because no way are you obsessed with just Fleck.

Go Gophers!!

I not going to bother finding the links, but I said plenty about Penn State on their Boards. Their Cult of Personality led to child abuse; Minnesota's just makes them look foolish. Penn State's refusal to acknowledge the issue remains a stain on their institution.

If OSU and Michigan had a Cult of Personality that resulted in their Athletic Department buying another Institution's motto and results on the field, I missed it.

I pay more attention to Minnesota because 1) I lived there for a few years and have relatives there; 2) I think our citizens are more alike than different; and 3) Minnesota is an original Big Ten school and PSU is not, nor do they often act like they want to be. Minnesota could have used this year's results to emphasize their history and (potential) return to glory; instead the emphasize a look-at-me coach. You are Minnesota, not Fleck State.

While I love lording over Minnesota, I readily acknowledge that a competitive Minnesota (not the Flying Flecks) is good for the Big Ten.

I ignored your first request to save the board from going down this road. Do you really want to debate this topic? You do know the story on how RTB started, right? It is a fantastic story and pays respect to a lost child and how a family can deal with such tragedy. RTB is now a marketing slogan used by a football team that is playing a game. Please, continue on how it hasn't changed and keep pushing for how.

I mean has the RTB trademark money stopped going to the U of M children’s hospital? Has he not used RTB to help guide young guys find a purpose and become decent people? I understand that it has changed some, but just like most of your takes are all or nothing. That’s just not the case.

And quite frankly you aren’tgoing to “save the board,” from anything. You continue to have these types of posts and can’t acknowledge anything that isn’t your truth. It isn’t really that inconceivable that it has changed some and is still about what it was originally was to a certain extent lol. But you are saving the board because everyone on here knows and thinks it has changed exactly how you view it, right? Thats asinine, once again you want everyone to say you are right little buddy, and not discuss

I mean has the RTB trademark money stopped going to the U of M children’s hospital? Has he not used RTB to help guide young guys find a purpose and become decent people? I understand that it has changed some, but just like most of your takes are all or nothing. That’s just not the case.

So it has changed? OK. That’s what I said.

The rest of your soapbox speech, of course, had nothing whatsoever to do with the statements in discussion, but I guess changing your narrative is what you are left with.

What was the change?

You figure out what the change was yet?

My deal is that I think it is beneath the dignity of a Big Ten team.

Our teams/institutions should be bigger than any one individual and marketing this Cult of Personality reflects poorly on the conference. We are not the MAC, we are the Big Ten.

So, yes, that's "my deal."
So you just ignore all the posts and promoting of the team and player accomplishments? People are acting like they’re only promoting Fleck and it’s not even close to being true.

There’s also not just one way to do things. MN hasn’t won much of anything for a very long time so they hire someone that does things differently. What they were doing before wasn’t working so why wouldn’t they try something different?

Yeah the post was probably a little ridiculous but it’s way overblown simply because of who is involved.

The rest of your soapbox speech, of course, had nothing whatsoever to do with the statements in discussion, but I guess changing your narrative is what you are left with.

once again, selectively displaying pieces of what someone says to frame your opinion as truth. You went on to say that it went from being about a lost child to a football marketing program. You are saying that is the change. I’m not going to concede and agree with that because it isn’t accurate. I’m disagreeing with how you said it changed. It hasn’t changed in the way you are referring to it. Not sure what is hard for you to understand about that.

once again, selectively displaying pieces of what someone says to frame your opinion as truth. You went on to say that it went from being about a lost child to a football marketing program. You are saying that is the change. I’m not going to concede and agree with that because it isn’t accurate. I’m disagreeing with how you said it changed. It hasn’t changed in the way you are referring to it. Not sure what is hard for you to understand about that.

Selectively? I quoted your post dude and only removed your lecture paragraph at the end that wasn’t even about RTB (which was the discussion point until that point). More narrative changing from you.

On the plus side, you have now, finally, made your position on the (actual) topic of discussion clear. You don’t think RTB has become a marketing slogan. You are correct that we disagree on that. Yes, that belief is so blind that I do indeed have trouble understanding it.

Reactions: TAW

Selectively? I quoted your post dude and only removed your lecture paragraph at the end that wasn’t even about RTB (which was the discussion point until that point). More narrative changing from you.

On the plus side, you have now, finally, made your position on the (actual) topic of discussion clear. You don’t think RTB has become a marketing slogan. You are correct that we disagree on that. Yes, that belief is so blind that I do indeed have trouble understanding it.
Is there a difference to you between a marketing slogan and a slogan used in marketing? Or is any use/mention of RTB outside of the field an adulteration of its original intent?
We can market UMN all we want but most of the time kids are committing to a coach. Sometimes you’ve got to market that coach and do things different than your neighbors. These tweets are to attract recruits...

If Fleck can get talented kids to come here, develop them as quality human beings, and achieve victory with them on the field...I don't care if he flaunts the statistics from his days playing PeeWee football as a child. Just win, baby!

Go Gophers! Row the boat! Ski-U-Mah!

Is there a difference to you between a marketing slogan and a slogan used in marketing? Or is any use/mention of RTB outside of the field an adulteration of its original intent?
We can market UMN all we want but most of the time kids are committing to a coach. Sometimes you’ve got to market that coach and do things different than your neighbors. These tweets are to attract recruits...
This discussion is going astray which isn’t surprising with the argument changes MinnGoph has introduced.

Another poster said he didn’t like using a personal brand for our team. A different poster then stated that the original poster must not know about the origin of RTB then. I pointed out the changes of RTB from that original meaning and then there was some lectures about how it raises money for charity and helps shape young men. Not sure why, but there it was.

To answer your question - I am not a fan of using a personal brand for our team either. Like I am sure the original poster does as well - I think it is great if it raises $ for a very valid and valuable charity. This ad - meh, I haven’t taken a strong stance on it - much less called it an “adulteration.” I objected to that original statement that anyone who doesn’t like RTB as our slogan must not know its origin. I think that is BS. I also think what RTB is about has changed a lot since that origin. It is a marketing slogan now.

This discussion is going astray which isn’t surprising with the argument changes MinnGoph has introduced.

Another poster said he didn’t like using a personal brand for our team. A different poster then stated that the original poster must not know about the origin of RTB then. I pointed out the changes of RTB from that original meaning and then there was some lectures about how it raises money for charity and helps shape young men. Not sure why, but there it was.

To answer your question - I am not a fan of using a personal brand for our team either. Like I am sure the original poster does as well - I think it is great if it raises $ for a very valid and valuable charity. This ad - meh, I haven’t taken a strong stance on it - much less called it an “adulteration.” I objected to that original statement that anyone who doesn’t like RTB as our slogan must not know its origin. I think that is BS. I also think what RTB is about has changed a lot since that origin. It is a marketing slogan now.
I think it’s on topic isn’t it? The tweet was posted on a discussion forum, and we’re discussing the content of that tweet.

Not trying to vilify anyone for their personal opinions I am just curious to how people who dislike these sorts of things see it. I never accused you of calling it an adulteration, the word was used in a question. I guess I still don’t understand what your threshold for marketing slogan vs slogan used in marketing means but thanks for responding.

I’m sort of like Whofelldownthegopherhole above, as long as the kids being churned our are quality individuals and we win, I can tolerate the branding.

didn’t rely to this earlier but did I say it didn’t change? Or because I don’t view it as a catastrophic change you think I’m saying it hasn’t changed? That’s what we disagree on but per usual you like to act like a know it all on an anonymous message board and won’t discuss. Don’t come on then?

never said it didn’t change at all, but once again, it’s not nearly as stark as you frame it to be, and I didn’t disagree that it has changed some. I disagree with how you frame it. Saying “no offense it doesn’t mean what it used to,” shows that once again someone doesn’t think they way you do so you need to educate and be a prick.

Rah made a great point. It isn’t strictly a marketing slogan, but a slogan used in marketing. Once again your failure to see the big picture. It is not solely used in marketing purposes, he uses RTB to guide young people as well. So you simply saying “it’s a marketing slogan now,” would be inaccurate right?

to appease you I also referenced how he used RTB to guide people in a previous post, so yeah still not really redirecting.

I also love that Spoofin has notifications on and posts 97x a day to belittle others view.

“that belief is so blind I do have trouble understanding it” So once again you just can’t understand how someone would think differently than you. How many other programs require the off the field stuff that the U does? Must be all of them and RTB isn’t tied into any of that at all right? Dude you just can’t get out of your own way on this. I think some of the stuff he says is pretty cringeworthy at times, but if you are that upset with how our program is being run now that we are Experiencing success on and off the field, I guess you just aren’t that big of a fan? PJ is part of our team whether you like it or not. You can like this post and not reply again too to prevent feeling like you are wrong again too, it’s expected at this point.

I also love that Spoofin has notifications on and posts 97x a day to belittle others view.

Beautiful. You have now responded 3 times to my last post, name calling in each one, and finish with this gem. Get a clue dude.

Beautiful. You have now responded 3 times to my last post, name calling in each one, and finish with this gem. Get a clue dude.

what was the name I called you in the last post? Once again false. You just keep contorting what people say.

Also funny how you did belittle my point of view, then quote the post and cut it off at the point where I repeated your comment in which you did belittle the opinion. Yeah I get it I’m being a prick now too by making fun of your notifications, but it’s comical how you want to tell others to get a clue when you Literally come on here and talk down to others all of the time for having a different point of view.

Thanks TAW for your opinion about our Coach. You are not alone.

Not as useful as your suggestions over the years on bowl destination tips based on your own bowling experiences, but hey...you've been good for an additional 2 or so pages of this particular thread.

Not bad for a Sunday afternoon in December.

Progress.

Thanks TAW for your opinion about our Coach. You are not alone.

Not as useful as your suggestions over the years on bowl destination tips based on your own bowling experiences, but hey...you've been good for an additional 2 or so pages of this particular thread.

Not bad for a Sunday afternoon in December.

Progress.

Sconny fans absolutely hate our coach. I love that.

Top Bottom