Seton Hall Fires Gonzalez

ChemEGopher

Section 133 Row 28!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
This coaching vacancy is much too close to Maryland for my liking.

We are rumored to be playing Seton Hall next year. Question is which team will Tubby be coaching for???!?!?!?

Link

If there was any truth to the Gophers vs. Seton Hall rumor next season, that's now probably out the the window.

I don't think Tubby will leave, but if he were to leave for another program, Seton Hall would not be one of 'em. If Tubby did that it would be about as senseless as bolting for DePaul. Not gonna' happen.

What is up with the inferiority complex in some people that they think Tubby will be leaving for every D1 coaching opportunity that's out there? We have a basketball program with some good history that's on the rise, will soon have a practice facility, live in a great metro area, and have probably more D1 basketball talent than out population and hockey-focus warrant. What's the issue?

would Tubby leaving open up a job for Colorado State's Tim Miles?? or is Miles going to Iowa?

Have to feel for Gonzalez, .500 in the Big East, NIT entry, 19 wins, and kicked to the curb.

Coaching sounds kind of stressful....

I was joking about Tubby to SH. I thought the unnecessary ?s made that apparent. I just posted this because I suspected, as SS does, this would affect them being on our schedule next year.

Sorry about that ChemE, sarcasm gets lost sometimes. I would agree that we won't see Tubby on Seton Hall's sideline next season.

Seton Hall and DePaul are yearning for the '80s, and they're not coming back.

The Chicago Sun Times yesterday said that Jamie Dixon would be a good candidate for the DePaul job.

Have to feel for Gonzalez, .500 in the Big East, NIT entry, 19 wins, and kicked to the curb.

Coaching sounds kind of stressful....

He is a nut job with a team of nut job nut punchers. He lasted longer than he should have.

Hodger, Gonzalez is your guy...why do you think he was unable to get things going there?

Go Gophers!!

Seton Hall and DePaul are yearning for the '80s, and they're not coming back.

The Chicago Sun Times yesterday said that Jamie Dixon would be a good candidate for the DePaul job.

Sounds like a couple of football rivals that you are very close to, albeit with the glory days a decade more recent.

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like a couple of football rivals that you are very close to, albeit with the glory days a decade more recent.

Go Gophers!!

Nebraska and ?

While I don't think Nebraska will replicate the '90s glory days anytime soon, they were one play away from winning the Big XII Championship last season and will have a top 3 pick in the NFL draft.

Kind of Colorado, although that's much more irrational as they obviously never had the national titles like Nebraska has. They had some very good years in and around the Kordell Strewart era, and it seems like they think they should be in the Nebraska/Oklahoma level from there on out.

Go Gophers!!

"Not only did the Pirates suffer an 87-69 defeat at the Prudential Center in Newark, they were further embarrassed when forward Herb Pope was ejected for punching Texas Tech's Darko Cohadarevic in the groin. The volatile Gonzalez also picked up his seventh technical foul of the season."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...seton_hall_fires_gonzalez_after_nit_loss.html

"Boy the hits just keep on coming for Seton Hall. A day after the Pirates were bounced from the NIT and hours after coach Bobby Gonzalez was fired comes word that ex-Pirate Robert Mitchell has been arrested on kidnapping, robbery, burglary and weapons charges.

Mitchell criticized his coach in the media after Seton Hall's ouster from the Big East Tournament. He was dismissed from the team on Sunday, a move that was, apparently unrelated to his subsequent arrest. Pete Thamel of the New York Times reports Mitchell and an unnamed co-conspirator stand accused of breaking into a house in South Orange, binding eight people with duct tape and stealing cash and other items.

Mitchell transferred to Seton Hall after playing one year at Duquesne. He was named Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Year for the 2006-07 season despite drawing a suspension for disciplinary reasons and drawing complaints about his work ethic from coach Ron Everhart."

http://basketball.about.com/b/2010/03/17/ex-seton-hall-player-arrested.htm

Gonzo charged with stealing a satchel

I had no idea man purses were so expensive.

It's Polo, man. There is never a recession in Ralph. Even I know that. If you're looking for one, I know a gal who could you you a reasonable facsimile in the far east at 10% of the cost. I'm sure Bobby could have gotten a knock off, too.

I predict this guy becomes the subject of a documentary on what happens to up and coming coaches when they crash. Back in the day I would have had him on my short list to be a Gopher coach. Some of the best things that happen are the ones we wish happened and never did.

It's Polo, man. There is never a recession in Ralph. Even I know that. If you're looking for one, I know a gal who could you you a reasonable facsimile in the far east at 10% of the cost. I'm sure Bobby could have gotten a knock off, too.

I predict this guy becomes the subject of a documentary on what happens to up and coming coaches when they crash. Back in the day I would have had him on my short list to be a Gopher coach. Some of the best things that happen are the ones we wish happened and never did.

I thought the same thing -- there was a time when Gonzalez was a hot name for coaching vacancies and his name was thrown around here. It's amazing how fast and hard some guys fall.

Gonzalez was the guy I wanted for the Gopher job when Monson was canned. I am now thankful that didn't happen. I'm pretty certain we don't have to worry about Tubby stealing anything from a store.

I'm surprised you guys wanted him as a coach. He has a real bad reputation for being abrasive to everyone including his players, so he's really not a "player's coach," so if he was at Minnesota, I'd expect he would suck at recruiting because of that. Stealing a purse is not a good thing for a guy to do at any rate.

There wasn't any kind of a groundswell for Gonzalez as the Gopher coach. Just pointing out that I liked him as a candidate at the time the Gopher job was open. Fortunately Joel Maturi doesn't consult with me when hiring a basketball coach.

Top Bottom