Seth Davis on Pitino at MN: "before the fans run him out of the job, perhaps they should consider whom the school might find who would do any better."

I think if he gets all of the transfers waivers through and they somehow bomb this season (if there is a season) it would be time to move on. This roster is probably one of the best on paper and easily the deepest. They aren't young and hopefully won't have injury or off the court issues. If they dodge those two things and still suck there are no excuses.

However, what is the measure of suck? Not making the dance? Not winning a game in the dance? What seed is acceptable, etc?
To me, if he makes the NCAA's he stays. If he doesn't, he goes. And that's regardless of who gets a waiver. You made your bed in relying on transfers and you have to live with it.

To me, if he makes the NCAA's he stays. If he doesn't, he goes.
That's kind of my thought as well...a lot will depend on if the season happens and if so how much as well.

That's kind of my thought as well...a lot will depend on if the season happens and if so how much as well.
For sure. We also don't know the financial condition. It could save him again as well. Though his buy-out is pretty much nothing after this season.

I think if he gets all of the transfers waivers through and they somehow bomb this season (if there is a season) it would be time to move on. This roster is probably one of the best on paper and easily the deepest. They aren't young and hopefully won't have injury or off the court issues. If they dodge those two things and still suck there are no excuses.

However, what is the measure of suck? Not making the dance? Not winning a game in the dance? What seed is acceptable, etc?

It all starts with beating your rivals and we cannot thus talking dance and things is mute.

The Gopher football program was plagued by a polluted "who can we possibly get that would do any better?" mindset for decades. Then Mark Coyle arrived with big aspirations and a plan and landed PJ Fleck. We did end up with someone who could do better and has. Similarly, why should the basketball program suffer from the same lack of aspiration and imagination that it's been subject to for the last 20 years simply because some think it's not worthy? That's how programs become mediocre and stay that way. We can do better and we must.

"Before the fans run Tracy Clayes out if a job, perhaps they look should consider who the school can find who will do any better."

Hey, Claeys at least had 2 postseason wins. Pitino only has one.

The Gopher football program was plagued by a polluted "who can we possibly get that would do any better?" mindset for decades. Then Mark Coyle arrived with big aspirations and a plan and landed PJ Fleck. We did end up with someone who could do better and has. Similarly, why should the basketball program suffer from the same lack of aspiration and imagination that it's been subject to for the last 20 years simply because some think it's not worthy? That's how programs become mediocre and stay that way. We can do better and we must.
Coyle had an opportunity to make a change recently, and chose to stick with RP. Period.

Coyle had an opportunity to make a change recently, and chose to stick with RP. Period.

That decision was absolutely influenced by the environment around COVID and the need to pay out a multi-million dollar buyout in the face of massive uncertainty. It would have been borderline malpractice for Coyle to have fired Pitino with that reality. It looks even more prudent if the football season takes the huge financial hit it's going to take with either no season or a season with no attendance this year.

Pitino does a great job getting the most out of his players/teams. Really need Robbins to be eligible.

That decision was absolutely influenced by the environment around COVID and the need to pay out a multi-million dollar buyout in the face of massive uncertainty. It would have been borderline malpractice for Coyle to have fired Pitino with that reality. It looks even more prudent if the football season takes the huge financial hit it's going to take with either no season or a season with no attendance this year.
Disagree. Coyle punted, which is his right. You said "We can do better and we must." That means making a change.

Leaders lead, and many times they are unpopular. At the time.

Pitino does a great job getting the most out of his players/teams. Really need Robbins to be eligible.
Robbins and Each will make an impact, and provide some level of depth.

Disagree. Coyle punted, which is his right. You said "We can do better and we must." That means making a change.

Leaders lead, and many times they are unpopular. At the time.

Sorry, there was one single P5 coaching change this year (Wake Forest), everyone else stood pat. What Coyle did was prudent financially and at a time when you couldn't even meet with potential candidates face-to-face, logical. I think Pitino's performance has earned him his walking papers, and strongly believe the program can do better, but choosing not to pull the trigger in a once-in-a-century global pandemic was the right decision by Coyle.

Hey, Claeys at least had 2 postseason wins. Pitino only has one.
That depends on if you count the Big Ten tournament and NIT as post season wins. I’d say an NIT bid is roughly equivalent to, if not a greater accomplishment than, going to a low tier bowl game in Detroit with a 5-7 record.

Sorry, there was one single P5 coaching change this year (Wake Forest), everyone else stood pat. What Coyle did was prudent financially and at a time when you couldn't even meet with potential candidates face-to-face, logical. I think Pitino's performance has earned him his walking papers, and strongly believe the program can do better, but choosing not to pull the trigger in a once-in-a-century global pandemic was the right decision by Coyle.

Barnburner refuses to believe or understand that there sometimes is more to firing a coach than the AD wanting to do so.

I don’t care if there were 1 or 100. Coyle punted. RP still the coach.
Facts can be , at times, inconvenient. Facts, non the less.

I don’t care if there were 1 or 100. Coyle punted. RP still the coach.
Facts can be , at times, inconvenient. Facts, non the less.

That's an opinion. Present some facts, inconvenient or otherwise, and I'll give them thought.

Not true.
The fact remains. Coyle punted.

Coyle has bosses and people who he needs support and financial backing to fire someone believe it or not. You don't know if Coyle had that support

Coyle has bosses and people who he needs support and financial backing to fire someone believe it or not. You don't know if Coyle had that support
RP is still the coach. Fact.
Coyle, who is the Athletic Director, who makes hiring and firing decisions for his direct report coaches, chose to retain RP. Fact.

RP is still the coach. Fact.
Coyle, who is the Athletic Director, who makes hiring and firing decisions for his direct report coaches, chose to retain RP. Fact.

It's not that clear or authoritative of a structure in government institutions, but correct on Pitino being the coach and Coyle being the AD.

Friendly reminder that BB has no problem, and quite enjoys, dragging people down into his troll sewer, if you let him.

Proceed as you please.

Flat.
Out.
Wrong.

Continue to ignore all you want. RP is still the coach, and Mark Coyle hires and fires his position.

But Coyle has a boss, who is the president of the university. And she has a boss in the Board of Regents. If you think he has the green light to spend $2 million on a buyout without approval from those bosses, you're just not very bright. This isn't an athletics department or university that's flush with cash, and in fact are still tens of millions in debt to finance Athletes' Village. $2 million is a significant sum for the University of Minnesota, especially in an environment where collegiate athletics is teetering on the edge of financial ruin. Those are facts.

But Coyle has a boss, who is the president of the university. And she has a boss in the Board of Regents. If you think he has the green light to spend $2 million on a buyout without approval from those bosses, you're just not very bright. This isn't an athletics department or university that's flush with cash, and in fact are still tens of millions in debt to finance Athletes' Village. $2 million is a significant sum for the University of Minnesota, especially in an environment where collegiate athletics is teetering on the edge of financial ruin. Those are facts.

Good luck Windy, I’m Taking MPLSGophers advice and bowing out with this “battle” as I cannot explain it anymore clearly than you have and I’ve had this discourse since February with BB sharing similar information. He's just simply going to not change his “opinion”.

Good luck Windy, I’m Taking MPLSGophers advice and bowing out with this “battle” as I cannot explain it anymore clearly than you have and I’ve had this discourse since February with BB sharing similar information. He's just simply going to not change his “opinion”.
"It's not that clear or authoritative of a structure in government institutions" That is an opinion, and you 1984 couldn't be more wrong.

The fact is RP is still the coach of the U of MN Mens BB team. That is a fact.

Windy - "That's how programs become mediocre and stay that way. We can do better and we must."

Coyle disagrees. Yet another fact.
Coyle didn't punt, he went for it on 4th down and looks like it will pay off if Both and Liam are eligible.
Thank you for making my point.

What, specifically, is Coyle "purchasing authority"? 25K? 1.5 Mil?

Spending today might be the best for the long term. But, whatever you do, hold to your stringent thought.

Top Bottom