Serious Question: We Still Playing The Badgers?

60's Guy

Reaction score
Guys, it is Thursday night at 11pm and there is zero discussion about the axe, winning to go to a bowl game, or just somehow finding a way to beating these stinkin' Badgers. "What's this lying around sh...

There are threads, for some reason you are ignoring them.
Yes there are. However, the first thread talking about Wisconsin is 21 spots down the list.

Outside of the knowing that the rivalry will continue uninterrupted, there seems to be little excitement from our side of the border. I think many of us are worried that on top of everything else that has gone wrong, giving up the Axe would be yet one more gut punch in an already tumultuous and disappointing year.

Gophers have 20 offensive Rushing TD's vs Badgers only giving up 1 this year.
#1 Rush Defense in the B1G.
Best Front 7 in the B1G.
Wisconsin has scored 20 points total in the last three games again Northwestern, Indiana, and Iowa. 3 of the other top defenses with Wisconsin.

Wisconsin is due to break out tomorrow unless they just don't care.

Best Front 7 in the B1G.
Wisconsin has scored 20 points total in the last three games again Northwestern, Indiana, and Iowa. 3 of the other top defenses with Wisconsin.

Don't care about the Axe? You s___in me? This is going to be their super bowl, and the last thing left to play for. Same as us.

If we try to pound the ball into a brick wall, over and over and over, get ready for Iowa part 2.

God I hope Sanford isn't that stupid. Please, no. At least every pass won't be forced to Bateman.

I was born in it! Molded by it! I didn't see the light until I was already a man!
That picture looks a lot like me. Except for that mask, and the muscles, and the clothes, but I do have the same haircut.

Best Front 7 in the B1G.

I think the badgers have the 4th best front 7 in the big ten.
Wisconsin can’t run the ball this year.
Wisconsin is awful.

Easy dub

When is the last time the Gophers have had an "easy" win over Wisconsin??

I don't know what his definition of "easy" is.

It's a blood rivalry. My tendency is to think "nothing is given, nothing is easy, throw out the records".
I agree with all that in principle, but that game was 23-7 heading into the 4th quarter and the Gophers then scored the next 14 points. If the answer to your question was supposed to be "It's a trick, there is never an easy win in a rivalry game!" I guess you got me.

I agree with all that in principle, but that game was 23-7 heading into the 4th quarter and the Gophers then scored the next 14 points. If the answer to your question was supposed to be "It's a trick, there is never an easy win in a rivalry game!" I guess you got me.
Let's say that one game meets the definition.

How many other games in the last 30 years have been "easy"???

fcRgF5B.png

Then you'll say "nope, doesn't matter, because now we have Fleck, and Fleck is the one that did it in 2018". Ok .... but what about 2019? or 2017?

For now, I'm going with: it's very unlikely to get an "easy win" against the Badgers. I reserve the right to change that in the future.

fcRgF5B.png

Then you'll say "nope, doesn't matter, because now we have Fleck, and Fleck is the one that did it in 2018". Ok .... but what about 2019? or 2017?

For now, I'm going with: it's very unlikely to get an "easy win" against the Badgers. I reserve the right to change that in the future.
You asked when we last had an easy win against wisconsin. I offered a possible answer. You are free to accept it or reject it, it's just an opinion. None of that has anything to do with Fleck or 2017 or 2019 or tomorrow. If Minnesota wins 45-3 on Saturday, I am probably going to consider that an easy win. That won't change the fact that I would expect 2021 and beyond to be difficult games for the Gophers to win most years. If we are fortunate as fans, wisconsin will have to view the series that way going forward as well.

You asked when we last had an easy win against wisconsin. I offered a possible answer. You are free to accept it or reject it, it's just an opinion. None of that has anything to do with Fleck or 2017 or 2019 or tomorrow. If Minnesota wins 45-3 on Saturday, I am probably going to consider that an easy win. That won't change the fact that I would expect 2021 and beyond to be difficult games for the Gophers to win most years. If we are fortunate as fans, wisconsin will have to view the series that way going forward as well.
That's a lot of words to just admit that it is indeed unlikely we'll get an easy win against the Badgers. At least, according to previous results.

Best Front 7 in the B1G.

Maybe they will show up on D. People can say all they want about how all world their D is but don't all world D squads win games? They are 2-3. We have an all world run game so this could be a good matchup. Their big mouth twitter king QB will have a tough one if we get any pressure on him. There is nothing to break out unless we let that happen. We are a stupid decision from 4 and 2.

That's a lot of words to just admit that it is indeed unlikely we'll get an easy win against the Badgers. At least, according to previous results.
You didn't ask if it was likely, you asked "When is the last time the Gophers have had an "easy" win over Wisconsin??" I suggested an answer to the question you asked. If you had asked "Is it likely that the Gophers get an easy win against wisconsin on Saturday?" My answer would have been "no."

fcRgF5B.png

Woof. It's easier to pretend it's been more competitive than it has been when i don't have to look at a glaring table like that. LoL.

PLEASE WIN GOPHERS!! Give us something to feel good about in 2020.

As to the level of excitement - or lack thereof -

my feeling is that the entire season - not just the Gophers but all of college FB - has been so disjointed that at least some fans just want it to be over - to put 2020 in a box, throw it in the attic and never think about it again.

some fans - certainly not all, but some - will put an asterisk next to this season, no matter what the final results turn out to be. 2020 will be the Covid football season. late start - games postponed on a weekly basis - players opting out - opting back in - then opting out again -

it just has not been a 'regular' or 'normal' season.

on top of that, the Gopher -Badger game does not have the same stakes as in recent years. Neither team is playing for a division title, or trying to move up in the national ratings. A New Year's Day bowl game is probably not in the cards for either team.

my bottom line - the sole reason for playing this game was to maintain the "longest continuous rivalry in College Football." if that's enough to get you excited, great. but understand that other fans are not going to share your enthusiasm.

As to the level of excitement - or lack thereof -

my feeling is that the entire season - not just the Gophers but all of college FB - has been so disjointed that at least some fans just want it to be over - to put 2020 in a box, throw it in the attic and never think about it again.

some fans - certainly not all, but some - will put an asterisk next to this season, no matter what the final results turn out to be. 2020 will be the Covid football season. late start - games postponed on a weekly basis - players opting out - opting back in - then opting out again -

it just has not been a 'regular' or 'normal' season.

on top of that, the Gopher -Badger game does not have the same stakes as in recent years. Neither team is playing for a division title, or trying to move up in the national ratings. A New Year's Day bowl game is probably not in the cards for either team.

my bottom line - the sole reason for playing this game was to maintain the "longest continuous rivalry in College Football." if that's enough to get you excited, great. but understand that other fans are not going to share your enthusiasm.
I get that it’s not as exciting of some previous years...but if you can’t get a little excited to watch an ace game then I don’t know why you are a gopher fan

As for the actual game itself -- I honestly don't know which Gopher steam is going to show up tomorrow.

The range of expectations I have is from the Nebraska game, on the good side, to the Iowa game, on the bad side.

Top Bottom