Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl - Jan. 3rd 2012 @ 5:00 CT

I wonder how Phillip felt playing for East against West...

Why couldnt they place all Minnesota kids on the same team??? I would have been nice having Nelson throwing to McDonald to see what hes going to miss.

Because the Mississippi splits MN in two. Kids east of it play for the east and west for the west.

Let's hope so. Kill really means it when he talks about recruiting versatile players, Williams could be the first ever combo TE/punter.

in football history? not even close. guys used to play both ways a lot back in the day. would line up on both offensive and defensive series. do the punting, kicking, passing, pass rushing, rushing, etc. it was only around the early to mid 60's or so when it became pretty standard in college football that virtually everyone was a "specialized" position player. i.e. they only played one position and only played offense or defense.

Because the Mississippi splits MN in two. Kids east of it play for the east and west for the west.

Not true. Nelson and Williams both played for the East, and Mankato and Waconia are both comfortably west of the Mississippi. Both towns are also well west of Hopkins, yet McDonald played for the West.

It was a great game for the future Gophers. There were only 4 total TDs in the game, and two of them were scored by our commits. Nelson threw the first TD of the game, and Williams caught one just before the half to make it 14-14. Williams was actually selected for the game as a P (and he kicked a 64-yard punt during the game), but he played a lot of TE due to there being only one on the East roster. He looked huge. Nelson wore #14 and Williams wore #87.

Where can I find some highlights? I am looking everywhere, would like to see those two td's.

holygopher! said:
Where can I find some highlights? I am looking everywhere, would like to see those two td's.

Same here!

The replay is just starting now on CBS Sports Network. I didn't know I got it until I looked it up today and I have comcast.

His team thought he earned the start...

"Quarterback Phillip Nelson, another Minnesota commit, from Mankato, Minn., took the first snaps for the East squad after a team vote earned him the starting position. East QBs rotated after every second series, and Nelson took to the deep ball on his second series with a 48-yard touchdown pass to Auburn commit Ja’Qwuay Williams, a product of Tyrone (Ga.) Sandy Creek, to give the East a 7-0 lead."

TD Pass:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HRHf38mFDXg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He looks so effortless on his passes.

On those passes from the link he really stared down the receiver. Just sayin'

Quick, pull his scholarship. He threw a 50 yard TD while staring down a receiver in an all-star game.

And for the record, I wouldn't exactly call that "staring down" his receiver.

Maxx Williams is a big dude......

Sarcasm??

It must not be because its completely unthinkable for a high school QB that is throwing to WR's that he isn't really familiar with and running plays that they are not familiar with to have to actually look down the WR. They probably had like a full 5 days to completely understand each other. He should obviously just know where the WR was gonna be, completely understand the D coverage, and D speed. Just pathetic.

/sarcasm.

Back on topic. Nelson looked good and had arm strength. That throw looked like it was off his back foot and was still right on the money.

Williams looked big out there! Anyone else see early playing time in his future? Hell, it might even be at punter before TE.

If it wasn't sarcasm, it was the single dumbest thing I've ever read on GopherHole...

Williams looked big out there! Anyone else see early playing time in his future? Hell, it might even be at punter before TE.

Yep, I think Williams plays immediately. I saw him at the Mankato West v. SSP football game, and he looked way bigger than his listed (6'4" 225) on the recruiting websites. That All-Star game was the first time i've seen him play, and he was impressive. I think he is a special kid.

This might sound crazy, but the only way I don't see him playing right away is if he shows up this summer at 6'4" 250 (I don't know how far i'm off) and the staff decides they want to make him a DT.

Sorry everyone, joke. I wanted to see how people would react to even a small criticism of Nelson.

Yep, I think Williams plays immediately. I saw him at the Mankato West v. SSP football game, and he looked way bigger than his listed (6'4" 225) on the recruiting websites. That All-Star game was the first time i've seen him play, and he was impressive. I think he is a special kid.

This might sound crazy, but the only way I don't see him playing right away is if he shows up this summer at 6'4" 250 (I don't know how far i'm off) and the staff decides they want to make him a DT.

I fully trust the coaching staff to put guys in the right spots...but TE looks good for him. Big blocker and, based of one catch, looks to have good hands and awareness in the endzone (hard to tell how close he was to the sideline).

The thing that's especially impressive about Williams is that he doesn't appear to have an ounce of fat on him. They showed camera shots of him standing next to 6'5", 300+ lb. linemen with huge pot bellies, and he looked just as big, except without the puss-guts. He looked surprisingly big for how lean he appeared to be. I hope they keep him at TE, because I could see him ending up about the same size as Spaeth, with even more athleticism.

I fully trust the coaching staff to put guys in the right spots...but TE looks good for him. Big blocker and, based of one catch, looks to have good hands and awareness in the endzone (hard to tell how close he was to the sideline).

I agree, i'm not even advocating a move or anything like that. Whatever the coaching staff decides to do with him, I'd fully support.

I guess my point was just that he is a pretty rare kid, in that he appears to have been able to go from 225 to 245 rather easily (while retaining athleticism). If the decision makers think he has a frame to play DT, that could be his future. It's kind of like the Hageman or even Will Johnson thing, where if a kid at 18 years old can easily walk around at 6'4" + and 250 ish pounds....that person's future will likely end up being somewhere other than TE.

I agree, i'm not even advocating a move or anything like that. Whatever the coaching staff decides to do with him, I'd fully support.

I guess my point was just that he is a pretty rare kid, in that he appears to have been able to go from 225 to 245 rather easily (while retaining athleticism). If the decision makers think he has a frame to play DT, that could be his future. It's kind of like the Hageman or even Will Johnson thing, where if a kid at 18 years old can easily walk around at 6'4" + and 250 ish pounds....that person's future will likely end up being somewhere other than TE.

Good points....like you say, his body's reaction to the strength/conditioning program will probably dictate where he settles in to play.

Doogie says there will be some Maxx clips on the 6pm news. Presumably from the all star game as that was what the conversation was about.

Not sure which 6pm news Doogie is connected with. Can you say, pls?

Top Bottom