Self-Inflicted Wounds

bleedsmaroonandgold

Reaction score
These last three weeks we have played games and give ourselves a chance (to varying degrees) to win. The refs haven't given us any help. At the same time, we have made some really bad mistakes which have hurt us. It seemed like Kill's calling card the last couple of years was a moderately effective offense being propped up by a great defense, great special teams, and disciplined and smart play which avoided the mistakes which would kill us. Now, our offense is playing pretty well, our special teams and defense are horrendous, and we can't stop making dumb/sloppy mistakes. The problem is in one year we have gone from a team that makes you feel as long as we are in it at the end, we have a chance, to one where I feel like even if we are in it at the end, we will find a way to blow it.

Against Michigan we had the well-documented 19 second disaster. Totally unacceptable, that kind of ridiculous clock management can never, ever happen.

Against OSU, we had OSU stopped at third and nine when we knew they were going to run and then give us the ball back for one last chance to tie, and we let Cardale bust through untouched for a 30 yard TD. Then, we get the ball back two scores down with two minutes left. We run the clock down to under 15 seconds trying to dink and dunk down the field even though we need two more scores, before throwing short of the sticks on 4th and 3. In the middle of that whole mess, we took a delay of game penalty where the offense didn't even break the huddle before the play clock expires.

Against Iowa, there were a lot of sloppy penalties at bad times. The big kickoff return was a nightmare. And (even though the onside kick is a low-percentage proposition), we didn't even give ourselves a chance to recover it by kicking it right out of bounds.

This team coaching staff needs to pull their collective heads out and stop leaving winnable games on the field due to a lack of focus.

Says nearly every team that loses. Yes it's frustrating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you can just chalk up the whole thing to "one of those years." Everything that can go wrong has gone wrong. Injuries - penalties - breakdowns at the worst possible time - Coach forced to retire in mid-season for health reasons - one of the toughest schedules in the conference - and some "unusual" officiating calls at key moments.

I think it proves something Kill was saying when he came to MN - it takes a while to really build up a program. There's a big difference between depth, and quality depth. The Gophers clearly have a drop-off at certain positions when the back-ups come in, or are forced through injury to play major minutes. Get everybody healthy, add another recruiting class, and the depth on this team should be much stronger next year.

As I said in another thread, I think next year could be a big bounce-back season for the Gophers. 9 or even 10 wins is entirely possible, with just a few breaks going the Gophers' way for once.

I think you can just chalk up the whole thing to "one of those years." Everything that can go wrong has gone wrong. Injuries - penalties - breakdowns at the worst possible time - Coach forced to retire in mid-season for health reasons - one of the toughest schedules in the conference - and some "unusual" officiating calls at key moments.

I think it proves something Kill was saying when he came to MN - it takes a while to really build up a program. There's a big difference between depth, and quality depth. The Gophers clearly have a drop-off at certain positions when the back-ups come in, or are forced through injury to play major minutes. Get everybody healthy, add another recruiting class, and the depth on this team should be much stronger next year.

As I said in another thread, I think next year could be a big bounce-back season for the Gophers. 9 or even 10 wins is entirely possible, with just a few breaks going the Gophers' way for once.

I would change "conference" to "nation."

Losses to current #3, #5, #14, #15 and #18.

EDIT: Those teams with combined record of 40-5.

These last three weeks we have played games and give ourselves a chance (to varying degrees) to win. The refs haven't given us any help. At the same time, we have made some really bad mistakes which have hurt us. It seemed like Kill's calling card the last couple of years was a moderately effective offense being propped up by a great defense, great special teams, and disciplined and smart play which avoided the mistakes which would kill us. Now, our offense is playing pretty well, our special teams and defense are horrendous, and we can't stop making dumb/sloppy mistakes. The problem is in one year we have gone from a team that makes you feel as long as we are in it at the end, we have a chance, to one where I feel like even if we are in it at the end, we will find a way to blow it.

Against Michigan we had the well-documented 19 second disaster. Totally unacceptable, that kind of ridiculous clock management can never, ever happen.

Against OSU, we had OSU stopped at third and nine when we knew they were going to run and then give us the ball back for one last chance to tie, and we let Cardale bust through untouched for a 30 yard TD. Then, we get the ball back two scores down with two minutes left. We run the clock down to under 15 seconds trying to dink and dunk down the field even though we need two more scores, before throwing short of the sticks on 4th and 3. In the middle of that whole mess, we took a delay of game penalty where the offense didn't even break the huddle before the play clock expires.

Against Iowa, there were a lot of sloppy penalties at bad times. The big kickoff return was a nightmare. And (even though the onside kick is a low-percentage proposition), we didn't even give ourselves a chance to recover it by kicking it right out of bounds.

This team coaching staff needs to pull their collective heads out and stop leaving winnable games on the field due to a lack of focus.

Well documented narrative of our recent failures. Two weeks in a row opposing runners find empty space instead of linebackers once they clear the scrimmage area. The onside kick last night was infuriating. Exactly the same kind of kick that was an absolute failure just one week ago. Did Santoso think that he almost got the kick right against OSU.

Last year we were one play better.

This year we are two plays worse.

There's your margin of error.

Last year we were one play better.

This year we are two plays worse.

There's your margin of error.
Spot on. We got the bounces the last two years and this year just the opposite. Razor thin margin of error.

Spot on. We got the bounces the last two years and this year just the opposite. Razor thin margin of error.

I think "bounces" minimizes the control we had. Nothing "bounced" during the 19 seconds we squandered against Michigan, and nothing "bounced" while we didn't break the huddle before getting a delay of game against OSU. Sure, some breaks didn't go our way, but we also can't seem to get out of our own way.

You appear to think the Gopher really sucks this year and that the Gopher can't seem to get out of the Gopher's own way. I guess the year is playing out for you just the way you see it.On the other hand, based upon the events that have transpired and ironically playing the #15, #3 and #5 teams during that stretch and competing with them, being outscored by just a touchdown by each of them (22 points total) I would give TC and his STAFFERS five stars out of five stars for the job they have done during the past three weeks against that level of competition. In the past two weeks playing the #3 team and the #5 team it is ALMOST as if the Gopher has been in the National Championship Series. I think TC and his STAFFERS and the Student Athlete Football Players have done a remarkable job being competitive against some GREAT opponents. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. You see self inflicted wounds...and I see great self-esteem, refusal to lay down and die and a team that LOOKS better than they have looked in many weeks this season in spite of playing top five football powers. I like what I am seeing...and have high hopes for the Gopher. You sound REALLY down on the condition of the Gopher after all the Gopher has been through.

I think the Gopher just may finish strong this season! And, I have MUCH hope for the future with TC and his STAFFERS in charge leading the Gopher Football Program..

I think "bounces" minimizes the control we had. Nothing "bounced" during the 19 seconds we squandered against Michigan, and nothing "bounced" while we didn't break the huddle before getting a delay of game against OSU. Sure, some breaks didn't go our way, but we also can't seem to get out of our own way.
The OSU game wasn't going to happen by the time the delay of game happened needed to stop Cardele possession before

Top Bottom