Secondary Ticket Market Rant

LesBolstad

Reaction score
Ok, so i ponied up and bought 2 tickets in the $250 preferred seating section when the new stadium opened. Seats are great-
right on the 50/aisle seats. One problem-the 4 seats right behind us have been ticket broker ones from the beginning. Every
game is offered on Stubhub. Needless to say, we get opposing rube fans breathing down our neck every game. And they are
usually the obnoxious, drunk, ardent fan types who feel they are entitled to be knobs because they paid way over face value. It
sucks some long time season ticket holder let some broker buy their tickets for resale every game. I'd like to find who originally bought the tickets so I can punch them in the nose. Not looking forward to tools from Iowa, Wisky, and Nebraska in those seats thisyear.

We have the same issue in our section with the four seats in front of us. I had the same worries and concerns. But trust me, it was well worth the frustration when said four Hawkeye fans left early on that beautiful November Saturday night a few months back.

I fear that for the Nebraska game especially, there will be few of us that don't have some red within a few rows, if not seats.

Go Gophers!!

We have the same issue in our section with the four seats in front of us. I had the same worries and concerns. But trust me, it was well worth the frustration when said four Hawkeye fans left early on that beautiful November Saturday night a few months back.

I fear that for the Nebraska game especially, there will be few of us that don't have some red within a few rows, if not seats.

Go Gophers!!

Nebraska fans are pretty good for the most part...expect that they will be respectful and decent...unless they are college kids, but they usually don't buy good seats.

I feel your pain. My buddy and I have four seats in row one of section 246 (right on the corner of the opening over the plaza). The entire rest of the row must be held by a ticket broker because they are available on StubHub and we also have to deal with new neighbors for every single game. Luckily they have been pretty cool even when rooting for the other team but it would be nice if we could expect Gopher fans to be sitting next to us each week.

The worst part is that another friend (and U of M alum) purchased two new season tickets this year and wanted to get seats next to ours but was unable to and had to settle for many rows up in the same section.

I hope some day the demand gets high enough for season tickets that the U can make some changes to eliminate some of the ticket brokers squeezing out the alumni for the best seats.

We had two Iowa people sitting next to us last year ( father and son) They were pretty quiet until the Iowa kickoff return for a TD. With about 3 minutes left a bunch of us started hollaring "35 South" The dad didn't say anything, but it looked like he had swallowed a can of Zip Strip. I've been down to Lincoln for a couple of games and I was at the dome when Nebraska put 84 points up on us. All in all, Nebraska fans are pretty cool. Becky fans are the guttersnipes of the earth. I wouldn't be surprised if half of them wern't direct decendents of Ed Gein. When you play Iowa in Iowa City the fans arn't as obnoxious, but up here they seem to turn into demons with bibs on. Here is how I would rank the fans and how they handle themselves both home and away with the only stadium I haven't attened being Bloomington. Best to worst.
Northwestern
Penn State
Indiana ( just guessing here)
Nebraska
Purdue
MSU
Illinois
Michigan
tOSU
Iowa
Wisconsin

I would rank IU fans (well, students) near the bottom. I've been three times and they've been rude and vile on all occasions.

But they don't come into the stadium so once you're inside it's not too bad.

When you play Iowa in Iowa City the fans arn't as obnoxious, but up here they seem to turn into demons with bibs on.

+1. I've been to Kinnick 4 times, and have only had one run in (2001). The other times, I've never had an issue.

The games up here have been a complete gong show with their fans. The 2002 game alone probably has more incidents than all other Big Ten fans combined. A complete collection of barnyard animals that year.

I feel your pain. My buddy and I have four seats in row one of section 246 (right on the corner of the opening over the plaza). The entire rest of the row must be held by a ticket broker because they are available on StubHub and we also have to deal with new neighbors for every single game. Luckily they have been pretty cool even when rooting for the other team but it would be nice if we could expect Gopher fans to be sitting next to us each week.

Hop~
I'll have to swing down and say hello some time this year. We're 3 rows behind you. I always meant to and then never thought about it by the time we got to the stadium. I wonder if the Ski-U-Mah guy in my row will be returning this season...

I would rank IU fans (well, students) near the bottom. I've been three times and they've been rude and vile on all occasions.

But they don't come into the stadium so once you're inside it's not too bad.

I've never been to Bloomington but I've heard the same thing. Heard multiple stories about cars from the opposing teams' state being vandalized.

+1. I've been to Kinnick 4 times, and have only had one run in (2001). The other times, I've never had an issue.

The games up here have been a complete gong show with their fans. The 2002 game alone probably has more incidents than all other Big Ten fans combined. A complete collection of barnyard animals that year.

2002 was ridiculous. Embarrassing display by the Iowa fans that day which created a horrible experience for Gopher fans - something that should never, ever happen again in our stadium.

I didn't think the Iowa fans near us were too bad last year. Was nice to see them keep their mouths shut and leave early though. However, we were PO'ed that Gopher season ticket holders were the reason why we did have so many Iowa fans around us.

I can't speak from gameday experience, but in general, every UNL fan I've come across has been a) really reasonable, 2) knows football, and III) pretty damn cool.

Never have I had a problem with Iowa fans in person (with the exception of my Iowa family west of Des Moines), my wife's matron of honor is an Iowa alum and is married to another Iowa alum (they dated all through high school) and they are a great and fun couple. A group of guys I'm friends with are from Iowa and they, too, are awesome to hang with. The problem I have with Iowa fans are their fans online.

Wisky fans, on the other hand are opposite of my experiences with Iowa fans for the most part. My wife is from Wisconsin, so I have to deal with everyone there being Becky fans. They are alright (didn't hear a word about the drubbing they put on us last year). But online and in person otherwise, they are phallics. Even in their own stadium they point you out and call you 'ass hole'. Granted, I loved the attention (knowing you had the emotions of 20k Beck fans in the palm of your hands gives one power drunk).

The Buckeye fans I experienced at TheBank were alright. We sat next to a bunch of college aged guys, and while they were drunk (sloppy drunk by the blowout), they didn't treat us as badly as I expected.

Haven't had anything else memorable happen by opposing fans other than those. I heard stories about scUM fans being dicks and standing infront of the WWII vet that we sit with during the whole game, but that was at the Dome and we don't have that issue anymore (row 1 seats).

Where is mnboiler when we need him? I'm sure he can tell us how it really is with IU fans.

On a related note... what is our own (Minnesota's) general reputation as fans according to fans of other schools? Perhaps I don't read other schools' forums enough to get a genuine sense of this.

I hated it in the damn dome when the Becky or Hogeye fans were louder than the Gophers. Even though they were less in numbers.

Nov 27, 2010 was so cool watching all the Hogeyes leave early mumbling to themselves.

I have never had a problem with opposing fans in my section until Iowa, last year. I'm in donation seats, and I can only think that because the season was so disappointing, they were sold for that game at a loss. We had nothing but college kids in the section. I'm not against that, but these kids were drunk out of their gourd, and were NOT paying one lick of attention to the game, and showed up dressed to impress each other. Didn't make it out of the second quarter, as they were freezing to death. Never got the satisfaction of watching them see the loss. Really the worst group I've had to sit by in 25 years.

As much as i dislike Wisconsin, the Badgers seem to be able to hold their booze.

I agree with the contention that Iowa fans are different in Iowa City than here. I suspect it has something to do with the fan base that actually lives in Iowa vs. the one that lives in the TC area.

Badger fans, on the other hand, have been obnoxious everywhere I've been. I'm related to a few that are clueless but nice. But otherwise, they've been difficult to deal with whether for football, basketball, or (worst of all) hockey. I've heard from several fans of other BT schools that feel the same.

I actually thought almost all the Michigan fans I met in Ann Arbor were classy.

Most memorable Iowa game was when we played them at the dome 1998, Hayden Fry's last year, won 49-7. My B-inlaw who went to Iowa University was with me that day and we were sitting upper deck behind the end zone. There were a lot of Iowa fans in that area, I was surrounded, and every time we scored me and one other Gopher fan a couple of rows behind me were standing and cheering very loud on every touchdown. Needless to say my B-inlaw and every other Iowa fan in that area were silent the whole game, it was awesome!

It is a fact of life in every stadium, especially when playing teams that have fans that travel.

Maybe not at the level of Minnesota, but there are always visiting fans to deal with.

Embrace them, talk to them, have fun. Its just football.

If I were you I would officially complain. The U can start a list of people to fire as customers when the demand gets higher when we win.

If I were you I would officially complain. The U can start a list of people to fire as customers when the demand gets higher when we win.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not but I know one place that used to do exactly that. I have seats at for the Indy 500 that we have had for over 15 years. When demand was huge for the race and the scalpers were out in full force, I heard many stories where Indianapolis Motor Speedway would monitor the ticket resellers and e-bay and if they found out that you were selling your seats for a profit, they would decline your renewal for the following year.

Hop~
I'll have to swing down and say hello some time this year. We're 3 rows behind you. I always meant to and then never thought about it by the time we got to the stadium. I wonder if the Ski-U-Mah guy in my row will be returning this season...

Definitely stop by and say hello. It would be nice to put a face to at least one of the names on this forum.

The only way to deal with those Wisconsin fans is to stick a chair leg in their eyesockets.

We had two Iowa people sitting next to us last year ( father and son) They were pretty quiet until the Iowa kickoff return for a TD. With about 3 minutes left a bunch of us started hollaring "35 South" The dad didn't say anything, but it looked like he had swallowed a can of Zip Strip. I've been down to Lincoln for a couple of games and I was at the dome when Nebraska put 84 points up on us. All in all, Nebraska fans are pretty cool. Becky fans are the guttersnipes of the earth. I wouldn't be surprised if half of them wern't direct decendents of Ed Gein. When you play Iowa in Iowa City the fans arn't as obnoxious, but up here they seem to turn into demons with bibs on. Here is how I would rank the fans and how they handle themselves both home and away with the only stadium I haven't attened being Bloomington. Best to worst.
Northwestern
Penn State
Indiana ( just guessing here)
Nebraska
Purdue
MSU
Illinois
Michigan
tOSU
Iowa
Wisconsin

The only way to deal with those Wisconsin fans is to stick a chair leg in their eyesockets.

I suppose someone could accidentally spill their drink on obnoxious visiting fans. That would be an unfortunate accident.

There would few complaints if gopher fans actually bought tickets in the secondary market.

Clearly scalpers own larger blocks of donation level tickets. I have issue with this. How the U allows a scalper to own nearly every row 1 seat.

Personally I bought more tickets than I need in that area for future kids. Very few casual fans even will pay me face value, so I sell them for market value online.

New Mexico and Miami Ohio sell for almost nothing online. So it goes both ways. Ticket scalpers won't make much money next year without a winning home team. No Wisconsin, Iowa, or NE.

Top Bottom