SEC Bias

csom_1991

Reaction score
I feel really bad for OSU but I am really starting to think the Big10 really is not the weak sister it is being portrayed this year. As the games play out, I think the SEC bias is really exposed this year and the Big10 is getting killed based on Bowl games 3-5 years ago. Take for instance LSU - who outplayed Alabama for 2+ quarters. LSU is ranked #13 but has 2 losses (soon to be 3). Now, one of the losses will be to the #1 team in the nation, but their other losses are to currently unranked Georgia and unranked Ole Miss. Their signature wins were over FL - which is dumpster fire this year and is not looking to even be bowl eligible and Auburn - which is solid.

Now, i would assume even after this loss, they will likely still be ranked ahead of MSU and Wisconsin. Wisconsin is a legitimate 1 loss team (officials removed) and that loss was to the soon to be #3 team in the nation.... and MSU has one loss against a ranked ND team in week 4. I think the problem with the Big10's perception has to do more with WHO is winning vs. are they winning. If Michigan was undefeated or 1 loss, I think the perception of the conference would be totally different even though I would argue the conference is better top to bottom this year than last.

The fact that the SEC is in bed with ESPN/ABC also makes it tough for the other conferences to get equal footing with the primary media outlet for college sports. The simple fact is that in "the mothership's" eyes, the SEC can do no wrong and every other conference already has 2 strikes against it when discussing the national landscape.

I feel really bad for OSU but I am really starting to think the Big10 really is not the weak sister it is being portrayed this year. As the games play out, I think the SEC bias is really exposed this year and the Big10 is getting killed based on Bowl games 3-5 years ago. Take for instance LSU - who outplayed Alabama for 2+ quarters. LSU is ranked #13 but has 2 losses (soon to be 3). Now, one of the losses will be to the #1 team in the nation, but their other losses are to currently unranked Georgia and unranked Ole Miss. Their signature wins were over FL - which is dumpster fire this year and is not looking to even be bowl eligible and Auburn - which is solid.

Now, i would assume even after this loss, they will likely still be ranked ahead of MSU and Wisconsin. Wisconsin is a legitimate 1 loss team (officials removed) and that loss was to the soon to be #3 team in the nation.... and MSU has one loss against a ranked ND team in week 4. I think the problem with the Big10's perception has to do more with WHO is winning vs. are they winning. If Michigan was undefeated or 1 loss, I think the perception of the conference would be totally different even though I would argue the conference is better top to bottom this year than last.

Remember, if the officials didn't mess that up, it was still far from a certainty that they win. Their kicking has been horrible this year.

I agree that there is a SEC bias. Top to bottom, I don't think they are as good as everyone claims. Two good but not great Big 12 programs (Texas A&M and Missouri) have done pretty well in the SEC. If two teams have the same record and have a pretty similar strength of schedule, the SEC team is almost always going to be ranked higher.

With that said, the SEC is still the best conference and the Big Ten is definitely down. I'd rank the BT 4th behind the SEC, Pac-12, and Big 12.

There is no SEC Bias. How do you think ESPN would talk about the Big Ten if the conference won 7 National Titles in a row? To say the ESPN in "in bed" with the SEC is ridiculous.

To say the ESPN in "in bed" with the SEC is ridiculous.

The SEC and ESPN are in bed together though. Similar to how the Big Ten is in bed with Fox. ESPN is going to try as hard as possible to make their network look attractive to viewers starting next year when it launches. I don't blame ESPN though, I would do the same. You could compare this to how ESPN rarely covers NHL hockey. It's because they do not have an financial interest in the success of the league compared to how they used to 10 years ago.

Nevertheless, do I think there is a better football conference outside of the SEC? No.

Part of the bias is the preseason rankings, the in-season rankings and the way they go about fielding two teams for the national championship. It's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy. This has been documented.

Yes, they have won 7 titles in a row and are a very strong conference, but there have been a bunch of "we will never know" teams that have been excluded.

They "playoff" system may help.

There is no SEC Bias. How do you think ESPN would talk about the Big Ten if the conference won 7 National Titles in a row? To say the ESPN in "in bed" with the SEC is ridiculous.

so the 2.8 billion dollar tv deal means nothing? You must have been on the 9/11 Commission too

The fact that the SEC is in bed with ESPN/ABC also makes it tough for the other conferences to get equal footing with the primary media outlet for college sports. The simple fact is that in "the mothership's" eyes, the SEC can do no wrong and every other conference already has 2 strikes against it when discussing the national landscape.

Really? Thought all the big SEC games were on CBS. I must have my channels confused.

And as said above, 7 straight titles does that. Did you hear that stat last night about the LSU v Alabama game 2 years ago. I think they said after this year, 31 players who played in that game are projected to be NFL Draft picks. 21 have already been drafted and 10 more projected. Pick any Big Ten game, even OSU and Michigan and see if that's the case...

Top Bottom