SEC Accepts A&M - Baylor Tries to Block?

"Texas A&M is interested in making what it considers a bold move to separate itself from Texas while aligning with a conference it believes is a cultural fit and provides high visibility and financial stability"

A cultural fit? Really? I guess that's like saying Tennessee is a cultural fit with the Big Ten to me...

Shaggybevo is on top of it, and they are hilarious. Look for the MS paint stuff.

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/96267-SEC-meeting-over.../page9

15roc39.gif

Ah, to be young, have computer skills, and time on my hands.

As per the title, will Baylor be taking Paul Lynde or Charlie Weaver to block?

A&M to the SEC, potentially Oklahoma to the Pac-12+some. Texas has three series all time that have gone over 100 games: A&M (117), Oklahoma (105), Baylor (100). And lets face it, if not for conference obligations, the Longhorns aren't traveling to Waco.

The times, they are a-changin.

So who does eveone want the B1G to go after when the B12 inevitably collapses? Kansas, K state, and Mizzou seem to make the most sense.

just make it a school on the AAU list. NE was removed from the AAU list right after joining the BT. cripes.

just make it a school on the AAU list. NE was removed from the AAU list right after joining the BT. cripes.

Only Missouri both fits academically and culturally. However, their TV market is pretty fragmented by a lot of loyalties to surrounding states. KSU, ISU, and OSU will never get in, and I don't see why adding Kansas does anything for the conference. They fit better in the BigEast.

Only Missouri both fits academically and culturally. However, their TV market is pretty fragmented by a lot of loyalties to surrounding states. KSU, ISU, and OSU will never get in, and I don't see why adding Kansas does anything for the conference. They fit better in the BigEast.

If Texas and Notre Dame reject the Big Ten I think Missouri and Maryland or one of the Big East schools end up in the Big Ten.

Thanks Baylor, for prolonging this expansion crap even longer!

Re: the B1G, however, I agree with Adam Rittenburg. I don't think the B1G does anything unless it is absolutely forced to, which could take up to another few years depending on how things shake out over the next few months. They definitely won't take any of the big 12 cast offs like Kan, K.St, I.St, or OSU. THey don't fit athletically or academically. They want ND plain and simple, and maybe one other team in the East that is an AAU school like Maryland, VA, or Rutgers for tv markets. The B1G is more concerned about increasing their brand and tv market share than getting to 16 teams. I only see that happening if they are forced to because of a new playoff system resulting from the shake-up that requires it.

Personally, I hope we're done (unless ND comes crawling to us!).

No notre dame = 12 team big ten

Sorry folks, that's just how it is.

Here is why Baylor is against A&M leaving and why they yield a lot of influence in TX despite being a relatively small school... Baylor's financial football survival is based on selling out home games when hugh visiting fans from A&M, TX, and TT come to town (Baylor is centrally located between these schools). If the conference falls apart which is highly likely, Baylor will be left in some marginal conference (e.g., USA, WAC, etc.). None of those conferences have anywhere near the visiting fans the big TX schools bring to them. Baylor may have a shot at getting the TX legislature to block A&M's departure to the SEC. How is that you might ask, Baylor has the state's main medical and law schools and produce very influential legislators or those that can influence legislators (money talks). Remember, A&M is a state institution and the legislature could jack them. It should be interesting to see if Baylor can block A&M's move.

I don't think the B1G makes a move unless ND moves...then I see us going after MD/VA first...for the TV market, Pitt second and MO third. I don't see us going to 16 for any reason other than to have a playoff with 4 super conferences and then that can't happen without B1G support and that support won't happen unless it means a lot more $$$$$ and we can get the teams we want into our conference. The BTN and rich deals we have in place really put us in the position of blocking anything and forcing the action if we need to...and doing nothing cuz we want to. Nice place to be.

Here is why Baylor is against A&M leaving and why they yield a lot of influence in TX despite being a relatively small school... Baylor's financial football survival is based on selling out home games when hugh visiting fans from A&M, TX, and TT come to town (Baylor is centrally located between these schools). If the conference falls apart which is highly likely, Baylor will be left in some marginal conference (e.g., USA, WAC, etc.). None of those conferences have anywhere near the visiting fans the big TX schools bring to them. Baylor may have a shot at getting the TX legislature to block A&M's departure to the SEC. How is that you might ask, Baylor has the state's main medical and law schools and produce very influential legislators or those that can influence legislators (money talks). Remember, A&M is a state institution and the legislature could jack them. It should be interesting to see if Baylor can block A&M's move.

Looks like Baylor said yes and then probably when the Okie Schools and Texas said they might be leaving changed their minds.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...g-12-of-backtracking-20110907,0,5692109.story

Top Bottom