Season unfolding as predicted.

I know opinion vary on here about it, but what do you expect from Mo Walker next year? As far as injury recovery and how well he fills in for Sampson/Mbakwe?

Not a lot; I don't think you can bank on him playing meaningful minutes. There is upside... could he wind up an 8 and 4 guy next year? Sure. But that isn't a given - I'd be happy with that. Could wind up a 0 and 0 guy.

Between Eliason (foul issues) and Walker (injury and conditioning) it's tough to see either averaging much more than low 20s in minutes. Gophers interior will be lacking.

I'm optimistic about Walker's potential, but I agree with GW. I get the feeling folks are expecting Mo to be a monster next year. That's usually not the way it works, especially with big guys, especially ones coming off major knee surgery, and especially ones for whom we only have a small sampling (12 games) of what they can do night in & night out vs. top-shelf competition. Yes, Mo was a contributor in Puerto Rico (vs. UNC & WV), but he has yet to play a game vs. Big Ten competition.

Not a lot; I don't think you can bank on him playing meaningful minutes. There is upside... could he wind up an 8 and 4 guy next year? Sure. But that isn't a given - I'd be happy with that. Could wind up a 0 and 0 guy.

Between Eliason (foul issues) and Walker (injury and conditioning) it's tough to see either averaging much more than low 20s in minutes. Gophers interior will be lacking.

No it won't. EE and Huge MO splitting time at center, Rodney playing big minutes at power forward.

I've been thinking about this a lot this year, and I'm glad someone finally posted about it. Although, in the aggregate, the team is right on pace for where many people thought they'd finish, the tough part to digest is how they've gotten here. They've been both way better and way worse than most thought they'd be. Everyone focuses on the Indiana game, but this team also had Illinois beat at Assembly Hall when the Illini were looking good, and they were in position to knock off Michigan at Crisler - and looked like they were every bit the team the Wolverines were. Then they go and lose to Iowa at home and look like cadavers in getting blown out by Purdue at home. Yes, most Big Ten teams have been up and down, but I struggle still to understand just who this team is and how good they are. My eyes tell me that the effort and intensity come and go.

You know, I might have been quoted about mid-way through the non-conference schedule saying that this was a team that didn't do a whole lot of things very well. After the Mbakwe injury, they exceeded my expectations, even though they failed to close the deal on a couple of potential wins. I didn't know they had that high a level of play in them. More lately they've disappointed me, only because of the flashes they showed earlier. This is going to be a tough season to evaluate when all is said and done.

Of course, you can predict how many we would have won. Just like last year. Let's put an asterik by his coaching record and the team record.

Yes actually I would like to do that because we did lose our best player. Trevor is exactly the type of player we were missing this year. The fact they are about where most of the experts predicted even without our best player.

Ok, let's renovate the barn, build a practice facility, and hire a coach before we fire Tubby. That is at least 4 years. Ridiculous.

This argument about who are we going to hire if we fire Tubby is crazy. What if Tubby didn't come here, would we just not have a coach? There are plenty of good solid coaches out there. To hold on to a coach because you can't decide who will replace him will only set your program back IMO.

Your opinion is stupid...

I've been thinking about this a lot this year, and I'm glad someone finally posted about it. Although, in the aggregate, the team is right on pace for where many people thought they'd finish, the tough part to digest is how they've gotten here. They've been both way better and way worse than most thought they'd be. Everyone focuses on the Indiana game, but this team also had Illinois beat at Assembly Hall when the Illini were looking good, and they were in position to knock off Michigan at Crisler - and looked like they were every bit the team the Wolverines were. Then they go and lose to Iowa at home and look like cadavers in getting blown out by Purdue at home. Yes, most Big Ten teams have been up and down, but I struggle still to understand just who this team is and how good they are. My eyes tell me that the effort and intensity come and go.

You know, I might have been quoted about mid-way through the non-conference schedule saying that this was a team that didn't do a whole lot of things very well. After the Mbakwe injury, they exceeded my expectations, even though they failed to close the deal on a couple of potential wins. I didn't know they had that high a level of play in them. More lately they've disappointed me, only because of the flashes they showed earlier. This is going to be a tough season to evaluate when all is said and done.

I think that is the most frustrating thing about this team. They show stretches of pure talent and being a very good team. @Indiana, last 5 minutes against Wisconsin at home, parts of the Illiniois game, etc. but then lost to Iowa, get outworked and outplayed by NU, and it is just confusing as heck.

I think it is promising to see the potential is there, but frustrating that it isn't shown all the time.

No it won't. EE and Huge MO splitting time at center, Rodney playing big minutes at power forward.

Sorry, but it'll be lacking in a major way. The Gophers needed Ralph Sampson to be a bigger part of the offense this year to enjoy success. Injury & coaching decisions more than anything have dictated that we didn't see that happen.

EE & Mo next year can't get to where Ralph could have this year.

Sorry, but it'll be lacking in a major way. The Gophers needed Ralph Sampson to be a bigger part of the offense this year to enjoy success. Injury & coaching decisions more than anything have dictated that we didn't see that happen.

These 2 monsters will make everyone forget about RSIII by the third game next year. Think Dutcher bigs.

So you're saying we'll miss Ralph next year because EE & Mo won't be somewhere where Ralph could have been this year, but isn't? That makes no sense.

Along with terrible decisions at key moments, lack of ability to establish himself near the hoop and go up strong and actually score or get fouled (I can barely recall him dunking the ball this year), and his regression on defense. It's hard to say how much his injury contributed.

Top Bottom