Season thoughts

U2Gopher

Reaction score
I’m mad right now which generally means I should post, but I’m going to try and focus on the positive.
1. I’m really impressed and pleased with how this team improved from game one against Michigan to today. I’ll admit the opponents we’ve played the last few weeks haven’t exactly been at Alabama’s level, but this team, especially the defense, really took some good strides and I feel better about next year. Especially when you consider how they stepped up and played with all of the missing players due to COVID. We played a ton of people this year who didn’t really need to be out there. It’s going to help us tremendously next year.
2. I’ve given MSM so much grief this year but I have to admit, he has really stepped up and played some great football the last 3 weeks. He’s a gamer and you can win with that.
3. I hope MO stays another year. He’s a GREAT running back and will be hard to replace. I feel good with the overall depth at running back.
4. I’m very excited about our defensive line. Carter is going to be first team all Big10 by the times he’s done. He looks like he could be our first elite level DT since.....seems like forever. And I think Cheney won’t be far behind.
5. We have some great looking young receivers. Future looks bright at that position.
6. I also feel really good about the offensive line. Played slot of guys this year and if Dunlap and Faalele come back it’ll be even better.

Now my concerns.
1. Don’t know what to think about Morgan. Did he regress or is this simply due to lack of reps and practice due to COVID? Did losing Johnson to graduation impact him that much? The Morgan of last year makes that pass in OT today. I’m not hollering for a QB change and I’ll feel comfortable with him back there next year. But having said that, we still don’t have a TRUE difference maker at the most important position on the field. I know that few do, but I’m hoping that we struck gold with Athan on signing day.
2. Really concerned about the secondary next year. We have some guys to replace.
3. Concerned about linebackers as well, even with the apparent improvement of MSM. I don’t see the stud stopper like we had with Barber.
4. Kicking. Where do I start? I thought Lantz, as a true freshman, kicked well last year and he seemed to be really comfortable and confident as the season wound down. I’m guessing COVID hit him hard and he never recovered? If that was the issue with him, hopefully he will bounce back and be the kicker he looked like he was becoming at the end of last year.
5.Offensive play calling. We are too predictable. Too many slants and too many obvious run calls on first down. Again, did lack of practice due to the COVID issues limit what we were able to do offensively this year?

So, don’t know what happens with a bowl. I hope we play in one but if we don’t, so be it. We had to replace a lot this year and it started off rough. I saw obvious signs of improvement and we will be better next year. Looking forward to it but the schedule is going to be tough.

Much growth this year with the young guys. We've got hopefully 1/3 of our injured offensive line coming back next year. Defense will be better. Recruiting was good this year as well. Will be fine.

I said at the beginning anything less than 5-3 is a disappointment

I am disappointed.

Not ready to call for anyone’s job. We have no idea what the team went through in practices all year with player and coach unavailability. I thought the team got better as the year progressed (wish they started faster)....

I’m disappointed but in the long run the team was probably 2 plays away from being 5-2 this year. Not ready to jump ship.

Disappointing in the offensive execution. Plays are there, but play makers too often didn't make them, leaving points out there to be had.

Defense really stepped up as the year went on and I'm super proud of them.

A lot of work to be done to be a good team next year. Secondary is going to be a mess...who do we have at corner? Terrell Smith has gotten PT but I think that's it for corner. Both safeties are back but they both need to take a step. Nubin got better as the year went on. Howden didn't flash much, but maybe that's by design? Should be better at LB given Oliver was out this year and we got some PT for other young guys like Gordon (he started to flash these last couple of games) Aune and Lindenberg. Like where their D-line is headed. Overall needs to keep improving.

Offensively. Mo please stay! O-line should be pretty good...even if some of the guys leave. Receivers look to be petty good with CAB and Daniel Jackson, couple of the young guys flashed. RB has some talent, really can't wait to see Thomas carry the rock. Tanner? Well, tough year but that happens sometimes. Hopefully he finds his mojo and gets better next year. We shall see though I guess.

Special teams need to be a lot better. That's an Achilles heel. Whether it's punt return, kick off return, kicking game. Just struggled a lot this year.

Was still very happy to be able to watch college football this year. I'll take this season regardless of how the Gophers did.

I know his season wasn't as good statistically, but I thought Tanner was great this year. I know he struggled a bit, but he really held the team together. Even at the end of today's game, I don't think I can think of a Gopher QB who has been more clutch and gutsy.

My season thoughts - - I figured it would be weird and it was. If you would have told me before the season started that we'd be without Bateman for 1/2 games, Big Dan and Dunlap all year, Braelin all year and a patchwork kicking game, I think this is about how good I think we would have looked.

Individual Players:
Mo - He went from being a really good Gopher player to a legend. He was fantastic this year and if he comes back (I think he will). He is one of my favorite Gophers of all time. He does everything at full effort. He isn't too big of a star to be our best lead blocker. He never complained when he lost reps to Rodney and Shannon last year. Mo is a winner. I hope he's back but whatever he chooses to do, I'll root for him.
MSM - He is not a perfect player, but he plays his ass off.
Mafe - Really shined at times. Starting to remind me of Hageman the year(s) before he absolutely took off. If he keeps improving, he could be a dominant guy soon.
OL - They were great all year, even when patched together.

I know his season wasn't as good statistically, but I thought Tanner was great this year. I know he struggled a bit, but he really held the team together. Even at the end of today's game, I don't think I can think of a Gopher QB who has been more clutch and gutsy.

My season thoughts - - I figured it would be weird and it was. If you would have told me before the season started that we'd be without Bateman for 1/2 games, Big Dan and Dunlap all year, Braelin all year and a patchwork kicking game, I think this is about how good I think we would have looked.

Individual Players:
Mo - He went from being a really good Gopher player to a legend. He was fantastic this year and if he comes back (I think he will). He is one of my favorite Gophers of all time. He does everything at full effort. He isn't too big of a star to be our best lead blocker. He never complained when he lost reps to Rodney and Shannon last year. Mo is a winner. I hope he's back but whatever he chooses to do, I'll root for him.
Mafe - Really shined at times. Starting to remind me of Hageman the year(s) before he absolutely took off. If he keeps improving, he could be a dominant guy soon.
Excellent post. Good perspective and I agree there are plenty of bright spots.

Tough to lose the only OC you’ve ever had (Fleck), especially in a year like this. Just got a hope more practices and time help the new OC, but I wasn’t impressed at all this year. Offense averaged 20 points over last 4 games.

Probably not. USC on the advice of their Medical people, just announced that they would decline any Bowl Offer. They lost the Pac12 Championship last night. They ended their season at 5-1.

My thoughts....

We knew it was gonna be hard on defense. Offense should have been better, so we took a step back. I guess new coach, new philosophy? Play calling was too predictable. Covid issues kind of screwed us (and everyone else) early, especially on special teams which threw us way off track. Fleck had quite a few head scratchers that alarm me... not going for the win in over time (and admitting that he never even thought about it). Getting really conservative knowing full well our defense couldn't stop anyone. Morgan seemed lost out there at times, and even though I never thought he was NFL quality, I thought he was a good game manager, but I'll give it to the new offensive philosophy. We really need to out talent people because I'm afraid we'll rarely outcoach people.

I enjoyed watching the team get better throughout the year, was surprised they came back and scored after going down 7 today. Hopefully the players/coaches can learn to execute better down the stretch. With the way the team has started the last couple years I am very scared what OSU will do in the first game next year. Need a WR to step up next year outside of CAB and Jackson, if that happens the team should be very good.

I knew defense would take a step back.
They took three steps back against MI, and right now still feel one step back from last year. Improved a lot but they SHOULD be a step better next year.

Tanner seems to be dealing with a new OC. I think he'll be okay. Lot of turnover on WR's and a lot of guys he didn't get spring practice with.

O-line was patchwork. Will have plenty of depth next year.

Special teams is an outright disaster. Evidently Wenger will never get fired, so we just have to hope the kids can figure out how to play special teams better on their own so Wenger can take credit for it.

Good news is we have a lot of talent on defense coming in, and our D-line is relatively young. Hopefully we get some secondary transfers to assist or someone new to make an impact.

I think the play calling will "open up" when we trust our defense more.
We played very tight trying to stay close this year to avoid defense getting battered.
Better defense, we'll open it up more I would think (and better O-line play).

Individual Players:
Really good take. I personally want the QB position competition wide open this coming year. Morgan earned the helm this year and did a good job, but was not nearly as sharp as last year.

My thoughts on the season, I'm electing to go more of a big-picture view, from 30,000 feet.

For the players, I couldn't imagine a much better learning experience. These young student-athletes learned about adversity, about accountability to their teammates, and about how to deal with obstacles. When face with a challenge or an obstacle, you don't run away and hide, shrivel up in the corner. You figure out a way to work around it, work through it, and come out on the other end.

I think these guys learned some awesome life lessons, ones they won't soon forget. Good for them, I think they'll all be better off for it as they move their way through life.

Need to get to a point where we aren't dependent on "saviors". "The next guy". I think Fleck is close to that. Our depth can't be so thin that a few unfortunate circumstances has us throwing Freshman in. So many Freshman showed glimpses this year, but as tried and true starters??

Better times are still ahead.

In the end, college football is very similar to the rest of 2020, lets just put it all behind us and hope that going into the spring things are greatly closer to normal. I just hope we are a bit more creative on the offensive side of the ball. The defense improved throughout the year but also needs to get more reps. We gonna be okay!

I don't think I'm alone in saying that this season just felt off. From the late start to games being cancelled, the lack of fans, and general uncertainty, I think it was just a big adjustment. Additionally, that adjustment came as this team had to fill a lot of gaps left by players moving on from the program, including those that went pro.

I understand coming off what was accomplished last year, it does feel like a disappointment, but more of a minor one. I think had this team been given a full season, we probably could have finished with a winning record.

One of the reasons I say that is because of how the team improved over the year. I think it was certainly more noticeable on defense. The points allowed is a good indicator. In the first two games, more than 40 points allowed. After Illinois, the team allowed more than 30. Then in these last couple games, the team held offenses to 20 or less. That's still not great, and there are different offenses of course, but I feel like the unit was on track to only get better.

I think the offense was a little different, but still had somewhat of a similar story. Morgan came back, but he had to adjust for not having Johnson. Mo was back, but there wasn't Smith and Brooks to relieve some pressure. Despite this, Morgan and Mo stayed with it and kept fighting back through the season and I think that inspired the rest of the offense, too.

I think credit has to go to Fleck as well. Relatively speaking, he's still a young coach but was able to hold things fairly well together and had the team ready to bounce back in a few games, such as Nebraska.

Moving forward I'm fairly confident that with a full version of team training, the team will be back on track.

Gophers will be good to go go next year. PJ proved again this year that our teams progressively get better as the year goes on. This was a weird year. Tough loss tonight but we were competitive against a decent Wisconsin team. We'll be good to go next year. Excited for it with fans in the stands and to get real college football back.

I'm happy it's over.

Obviously hard to be pleased with the season after what we experienced last year. But Covid totally messed things up as well.

We found out that Morgan mountain was located on leidner island.

the emotional attachment to the team this year was different than any other year, obvi due to covid. im glad they got to play and gain some experience.

i feel like next year we will be very good and will surprise in at least 2 games

I'm bummed about the season. We won one that we maybe shouldn't have (Purdue) and gave away two (Maryland & Wisconsin) that we should have won. F******up that Wisconsin game was really the one that stung the most.

0-3 in recognized trophy games. The three that matter the most.

I am mainly worried our coach seems to have shrinkage when the game is on line and doesn’t seem to learn from his mistakes.

My thoughts....

We knew it was gonna be hard on defense. Offense should have been better, so we took a step back. I guess new coach, new philosophy? Play calling was too predictable. Covid issues kind of screwed us (and everyone else) early, especially on special teams which threw us way off track. Fleck had quite a few head scratchers that alarm me... not going for the win in over time (and admitting that he never even thought about it). Getting really conservative knowing full well our defense couldn't stop anyone. Morgan seemed lost out there at times, and even though I never thought he was NFL quality, I thought he was a good game manager, but I'll give it to the new offensive philosophy. We really need to out talent people because I'm afraid we'll rarely outcoach people.

nailed it. Appears we will need really good coordinators, as our game theory is terrible and it appears we never learn.

Lot of really good rational takes in this thread. 2020 was a messed up year that very few teams are going to feel good about.

I am very optimistic about what 2021 could bring for this team. Unfortunate to start with OSU but at the same time I guess if you are going to play them week 1 is as good as any since they will have a new QB and will have lost a bunch of other guys to the NFL. They will still be loaded but week 1 games are usually kind of weird while teams get used to playing again.

Special Teams. It has been terrible and needs some drastic change. Does that mean firing Wenger? Maybe.

Kickers all have had surgery this year (back, sports hernia, etc) The return game has been awful. Haven't kicked a FG longer than 40 yds in over 2 years. Dead last in the conference in all areas.

Something has to change. "We need to execute" is not a solution.

Top Bottom