Season Predictions?

gopherballer

Reaction score
Alright..let's hear your season predictions. I'm going with a 20-9 regular season record, a trip to the conference championship game, and a NCAA Sweet Sixteen appearance. Your turn.

Well, who's going to start, that's my first question:

PG: Al Nolen
SG: Haffarber
SF: Rodney Williams
PF: Mbakwe
C: RSIII

Got that right???

Alright..let's hear your season predictions. I'm going with a 20-9 regular season record, a trip to the conference championship game, and a NCAA Sweet Sixteen appearance. Your turn.

(Guessing)

23-7 in regular season (12 OOC, 18 B10 games).

2-1 in B10 tourney.

1-1 in NCAA.

26-9 overall.

Well, they'll play 3-5 teams in the non-conference schedule that were pretty good last year:

Wafford
Siena
Cornell
possibly North Carolina,Vanderbilt,West Virginia (probably 2 of the three @ tip off classic)

I'd say we should win against Wafford,Siena and Cornell but they are pretty good teams so you never know. The Gophers would be underdogs to NC and even money against Vandy or WV.

So going into the Big Ten, the Gophers should be have around 9-10 wins and be 10-2 or 9-3.

We have 9 games between Purdue(2), Michigan St(2), Ohio State(2), Wisconsin(1) and Illinois(2)

I'll say we take one or two games of the 6 from Purdue/Michigan St/Ohio St and 2 of the 3 against WI and Ill. so 4-5 or 3-6 against the top teams.

We're bound to lose a game or two we should win so I'd but the Gophers at

23-7 or so rolling into the Big Ten tournament.

I think that 25 total wins for this season is definitely how I will measure the overall success of the season. 25 is very attainable this year, especially given the (knock on wood) lack of distractions. We have the perfect coach to get the job done. With the right mix of talent and a veteran coach, we may surprise a lot of teams down the stretch. As my buddy put it "Some believe that the youth and an inexperienced bench will cause problems for Minnesota. I think this may be the case early on, but when the lumps are out of the way the Big Ten foes better watch out. The Gopher's still have veterans Blake Hoffarber, Colton Iverson, Al Nolen, and Ralph Sampson III." www.endofthebench.com

http://www.gophersports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=8400&SPID=3302&SPSID=38664

I never understood why they fib on rosters about height, but isn't Colt45 said to be just shy of 7' by a 1/4 to 1/2 inch and they still list him at 6'-10".

If their weights are accurate Ralph is the same size at 241, while freshman Double-E is at 242 lbs.

Who's going to score when we really need it?

Devoe and Blake are still the GO-TO guys, even more-so with Westbrook gone.

Well, they'll play 3-5 teams in the non-conference schedule that were pretty good last year:

Wafford
Siena
Cornell
possibly North Carolina,Vanderbilt,West Virginia (probably 2 of the three @ tip off classic)

I'd say we should win against Wafford,Siena and Cornell but they are pretty good teams so you never know. The Gophers would be underdogs to NC and even money against Vandy or WV.

So going into the Big Ten, the Gophers should be have around 9-10 wins and be 10-2 or 9-3.

We have 9 games between Purdue(2), Michigan St(2), Ohio State(2), Wisconsin(1) and Illinois(2)

I'll say we take one or two games of the 6 from Purdue/Michigan St/Ohio St and 2 of the 3 against WI and Ill. so 4-5 or 3-6 against the top teams.

We're bound to lose a game or two we should win so I'd but the Gophers at

23-7 or so rolling into the Big Ten tournament.

We only play Illinois once.

I only care about who will be starting come Big Ten opener:

Al
Devoe
Hoff
Mbakwe
Iverson

Agree. 23 or 24 is my bet.

This would be my lineup as well...maybe Rodney over Blake depending on defensive match-ups.

I think we go about 4-5 on the road in Big Ten play (any game on the road is tough) and 7-2 in Big Ten play at home, that puts us at 11-7. I think we do well in the non-conference, 11-1, so 22-8 is my guess.

I am pretty optimistic about this year's team, I think we might finally start winning the close games.

The beer will always taste good!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've looked at the schedule up and down, trying to give my most unbiased and professional opinion. I felt I have been very realistic.
- Regular Season: 30-0
- BT Tournament: 3-0
- NCAA Tournament: 6-0
- Final Record: 39-0
I really don't see a loss on the schedule at all.

This would be my lineup as well...maybe Rodney over Blake depending on defensive match-ups.

Interesting quotes related to that-

GH: Coming into last season, people have very high expectations of you too. You didn’t get as much playing time as many expected. Do you think you didn’t earn that playing time?
RW: Blake was playing really well towards the end of the season, he wasn’t missing shots too much. I feel like I wasn’t really out there playing defense like Coach wanted me to be, I wasn’t rebounding well, I know what I have to do this year.

GH: In high school you were a solid defender, what do you think was different last year?
RW: In high school, I was guarding a lot more of the post men, because I was one of the taller guys. Last year, I was guarding a lot faster guys, which I’ve gotten used to.

GH: What have you worked on the most in the off-season?
RW: Mostly my ball handling, and creating shots for myself, and my jump shot.

GH: Where do you see fitting into the lineup then? Will it be your or Blake, or will Tubby have you both on the court?
RW: I think we can both be on the floor at the same time. I play really well with Blake, he finds me. Blake is the one that throws the lobs. I feel like if I’m getting to the rim, that will open up shots for Blake, and if he shoots, it opens up the lane for me and everybody else.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1205

No matter who starts, both will play a lot. Who starts isn't a big deal, especially when playing for Tubby.

I think Chip Armelin will emerge as a big contributor as I'm hearing a lot of steam on him. It should be interesting to see him in the scrimmage tonight. If I don't go, I'm leaning on this board for a great recap.

Interesting quotes related to that-
I just don't see RW and BH competing that much for PT...

Rodney: athletic, good around the rim, slasher, can run the floor. Limited shooting range, doesn't pass well, pretty poor defensively, even according to himself (rebounding, spacing, etc.).

Blake: one of the top shooters in the country, team captain & leader, rebounds well for his size, probably best passer on the team. Doesn't match up as well against bigger/taller players, doesn't attack the basket, not as aggressive as he should be.

I just don't foresee how Rodney will threaten Blake for PT. If Hoffarber isn't on the floor, we don't have a legitimate threat outside of 10 ft (except Devoe if he's on the floor, depending on if he's found his stroke again this year), and we don't have someone that can consistently pass it to the right guy. Look at the times last year where we had Nolen, Williams, etc. in the game; teams could simply pack it in defensively, and our offense just sputtered. If Rodney can't get to the rim, he completely shuts down. Rodney is a tough spot. He doesn't do anything extremely well (shoot, defense, etc.).

Hopefully, he's really worked on his game this summer, because he has a boatload of potential. I'll be cheering louder than anyone if he starts dominating this year, but giving him so much credit before he's really proven anything in his Gopher career is being pretty optimistic IMO. Unfortunately for us, athleticism doesn't win games. However, if he can convert that athleticism into the ability to hit some mid-range jumpers, not get pushed off the ball, rebound, etc...the sky is the limit for Rodney, and we'll have a lottery pick on our hands in a year or two.

Well, who's going to start, that's my first question:

PG: Al Nolen
SG: Haffarber
SF: Rodney Williams
PF: Mbakwe
C: RSIII

Got that right???

From my source that talks with Tubby on a regular basis, Tubby told him the starting lineup will be:

Devoe
Hoff
Rodney
Trevor
Sampson

This was shortly after Mbakwe became eligible.

From my source that talks with Tubby on a regular basis, Tubby told him the starting lineup will be:

Devoe
Hoff
Rodney
Trevor
Sampson

This wouldn't shock me. Al is a senior but he pretty much lost the right to feel entitled to a starting spot. Plus, that would enable a true 2nd team if Tubby still wants 5-on-5 subbing. Nolen, Hollins, Someone at SF (Chip?) Walker and Iverson.

Devoe
Hoff
Rodney
Trevor
Sampson

I actually heard the same thing in late summer from a source close Al Nolen Sr., but things have changed since then.

Al will be the starting pg, no question.

Let's do it right
Wofford: Win
Siena: Win
Western Kentucky: Win
North Carolina: Win
West Virgina: Loss
North Dakota State: Win
Virginia: Win
@ St Joe’s: Win
Eastern Kentucky: Win
Akron: Win
South Dakota State: Win
@Wisconsin: Win
@ Michigan State: Loss
Indiana: Win
@Ohio State: Loss
Purdue: Loss
Iowa: Win
@Michigan: Win…finally
Northwestern: Win
@Purdue: Loss
@Indiana: Win
Ohio State: Win
Illinois: Win
@Iowa: Win
@ Penn State: Win
Michigan: Win…finally
@Northwestern: Loss
Penn State: Win

Don't care who starts - many will play a lot.

Want Al in to shutdown the other teams top guard.

Copied list from "From The Barn" - only made a few changes.
Anether W at the Kohl Center:)

Wofford: Win
Siena: Win
Western Kentucky: Win
North Carolina: Win
West Virgina: Loss
North Dakota State: Win
Virginia: Win
@ St Joe’s: Win
Eastern Kentucky: Win
Akron: Win
South Dakota State: Win