Season outlook

Sota1

Reaction score
As we muddle through the non conference schedule, I am wondereing how this will prepare us for the Big Ten match ups we will face starting in January. There are two thought patterns that are evident with top 25 teams: Play a schedule that toughens your team, exposes areas that needed to be improved on, and hopefully builds confidence that you can play with Tier 1 competition and be more prepared for the big ten schedule. Secondly, there is a defensive mind set that pits us against low level teams that only really proves that you can beat bad teams, consistently. I would argue that a stronger mix of non conference teams (even if you lose them) will help your team and not hinder your chances for an NCAA birth. When you think you are are truly a "bubble team" I can see some case being made for the later approach, but we seem to be past this stage in year 3 with Tubby.

With this being said, one saving grace for this schedule is that we have 10 decent players that can compete with each other in practice every day. Also, the fact that a couple of the starting positions are still somewhat fluid will ensure that the practices are truly our biggest asset with the current schedule.

With all the negative items that have come out over the past couple of weeks I still believe that the Gophers should be expected to finish fourth (or better) in the big ten, and have a very legitimate chance to make it to the sweet 16. We can all wish and hope that everything would go smoothly, but if rarely ever does. Injuries and off-court issues are generally going to happen to some degree. The good teams, with good coaching will use this as motivation for additional playing time and often times brings teams closer together. I expect the Gophers to go through the non conference schedule unblemished with a 12-6 Big Ten record. High expectations? Maybe, but with this team I will be disappointed with anything less.

Your expectations will be tested early. We play Butler on Thanksgiving nite. Butler was ranked #10 on one poll last week. Butler will be favored.

I hope you are right though.

25+ W And NCAA Bid

Tubby is 9 (Sweet 16) of 15 (NCAA bids) so odds are in favor of Gophers makking Sweet 16.

The Gophers will wear teams out with our defense as games and the season progresses. However, I struggle with us getting a win over either Purdue our Mich State in the Big Ten. Other than that, we should expect to take care of most of the oter teams with only a couple of other losses. Butler will go down on Thanksgiving.

The Gophers will wear teams out with our defense as games and the season progresses. However, I struggle with us getting a win over either Purdue our Mich State in the Big Ten. Other than that, we should expect to take care of most of the oter teams with only a couple of other losses. Butler will go down on Thanksgiving.

Purdue has 17 players on its roster, of which 6 have experience playing B10 basketball. The other 11 are freshmen, walk-ons, redshirts, or sophomores who saw little or no PT last year.

The Boilers have a talented Top 6 but depth is a BIG question mark.

Point taken, but their top 6 are probably the best in the conference from 1 to 6. Injuries would be the only thing to drag them down. Hummel appears to be back to 100%. I just think Purdue and Mich State are in a class above everyone else this year. Not to say they are unbeatable, but at the end of the day but both are very well coached and talented. We are a year away from saying we are on the same level.

As quiet as its kept our defense wasn't always great last year (I'm lumping defensive rebounding in with that). We let teams get off from the outside at times and got beat up on the boards. I'm worried that the loss of Mbakwe and (probably) White will hurt us more than some think mainly on the boards. The positive is that Carter was our best rebounder last year and with him starting we have Colt 45 on our second unit which should boost our rebounding ability on that second line. The problem is who else do we play at the 4? Right now we only have 3 guys who are natural 4's or 5's (and Carter is a stretch) so DJ will likely have to play more 4 than he should. I don't really think our offense will be much better this year as we still lack a consistent go to guy or a star to run the offense through, so our D will need to be more consistent against the top teams and we'll need to rebound better

I would love to see a tougher non-conference schedule. Particularly some regional rivalries -- for example, Kansas, IA State, Marquette or maybe even the B10 team that we only play once. But that is really only for selfish reasons. As a season ticket holder, I think it would be entertaining to see. I think that Tubby is a good enough coach that he knows what our weaknesses are from watching practice.

Additionally, your roster is your roster, you can only lose players during the year (as we know), you can't add them. So even if there is a glaring need for a team, your ability to change a team in-season is very limited. Obviously players improve during the season, but the major improvement for a college player seems to occur in the off-season, especially for the young guys.

"We still lack a consistent go-to guy or a star to run the offense through."

That is my #1 concern with regards to whether the Gophers can truly be elite (getting beyond the Sweet 16). I think the Gophers are deep (even with the current personnel losses), we're athletic, we have quickness, we guard, we've got size (though as noted we don't have a true PF now) & we're well coached. What we don't have is a bona fide stud. I like having balance, but I think the truly elite teams are gonna' have at least 2 studs (i.e. Bobby Jackson, Sam Jacobson).

After a few games of looking at Jenny Craig, I think he can be a legitimite go to guy (which he has been to some degree in the past). I would love to have one inside, but don't think that is available at the moment. Westbrook seems a bit quicker and has a lot of confidence coming into the year. He also seems like he has a chip on his shoulder (which I like). I think our defense was hurt last year by the sheer age of the team. Other than Johnson and Westbrook we were pretty young with a limited grasp of what Tubby was looking for. I think a year of maturity and the depth we have will be fun to watch. Hopefully, Tubby will turn the defensive heat on earlier in the games vs. only at crunch time.

Top Bottom