Search Home Stretch

Duluthguy

Reaction score
First off, I'll be a lone voice in the wilderness and send out kudos to Maturi for keeping the search process ultra quiet so far. This far in all we really know is (1). For some reason Fulmer says he is not a fit. (2). The regents have been told there is a strong field of candidates. Despite some on this board getting their undies in a bundle over the latest faux news or tweets, there has been no other reliable information, and no news is good news. Expose a candidate, especially a big name candidate, before he's ready to jump and he may take himself out of the process.

Since very few potential candidates appear to be coaching past Thanksgiving weekend, I think a likely scenario is:
(1). The list is narrowed down this week to either one top tier guy and/or three second tier guys.
(2). Next week is spent confirming serious interest and lining up a possible "interview" with Mr. Big after Thanksgiving weekend - or three actual interviews.
(3). That next Sunday or Monday, we'll ask for official permission to talk to the coach or coaches. This is when real news should start to break. If there is a Mr. Big, things could move very quickly. Either way, it's reasonable to expect the new coach will be named late that week. Otherwise, Mike Stoop's stock might be on the rise, since he's one of the few coaching that next weekend.
(4). Gopherhole erupts into mass celebration or mass suicide.

Thoughts?

I personally think Maturi has kept it quiet because he's already promised the job to family friend Paul Chryst. Dear Jesus/Buddah/Allah/Superman, please let this be the one and only time I'm wrong about something.

DuluthGuy,

I agree with you on Maturi. We'll see how it turns out, but I think he's done a good job of keeping wraps on things. I am also very optimistic that he will get us a great coach.

On the timing - I hope you're right, but my inclination is that you are a week fast on all of the steps. Many teams will be playing on December 4, and I think it may be the case that an interview or interviews will have to wait for that.

I will say, the anticipation is both bitter and sweet.

Go Gophers!

You could also ad that we know for a fact Leach is not being considered.

I personally think Maturi has kept it quiet because he's already promised the job to family friend Paul Chryst. Dear Jesus/Buddah/Allah/Superman, please let this be the one and only time I'm wrong about something.

I'm not pleased with the thought of Chryst, but put it this way. Who would you rather have: Chryst or Trestman? It's not even close.

I don't know if they will actually interview multiple people or just peg the person they want and contact them after their final game. If it goes to interviews, they will likely be done the week after Thanksgiving. If it gets later than that, they screwed up or are going after someone really big.

Calhoun is available starting tomorrow.
Golden is available next Wednesday.

Sumlin, Hoke, and Harbaugh are available after Thanksgiving weekend. If Patterson makes the title game, I assume he will not be available.

Kill and Stoops would be the wild cards pushing things back a bit.

I'm not saying any of the following are (or should be) candidates, but they are plausible names that may not be done until 12/3 or 12/4:

Stoops
Kill
Edsall
Schiano
Sarkisian
O'Brien

I'm not pleased with the thought of Chryst, but put it this way. Who would you rather have: Chryst or Trestman? It's not even close.

I would rather have Brewster than Trestman. I don't have a problem with Chryst if he is the best candidate after exploring all possible options.

I'm ready for a coach. I don't care who it is. I'm tired of refreshing Gopherhole and typing "new gopher coach" into google. I'm not getting any work done. Just hire somebody, so we can start complaining about him!

The silence is a good thing, it means the search firm is doing their jobs and the athletic department as a whole has no clue, this will change as interviews get lined up.
Thoughts:
Calhoun's season is done tonight, if he's a target, smoke should build on him before the others.
If we have a "Big Fish" on the hook through his agent, I would think it would go done faster rather than slower, both Kelly and Kiffin seemed to be hired quickly after their names were brought up.

If Stoops is a Big Fish he's out of there ASAP before chaos hits(see Kelly/Kiffin).

Guys like Calhoun,Sumlin, Hoke, Golden would have been doing homework on the gig after their agents were contacted, if they are interested, their interviews will be lined up, if not they will deny their interest publicly.

I still think Sumlin has to be the top target, it just makes sense. I also think Maturi is wishing on a star and shoving horseshoes where the sun don't shine hoping some HUGE name they've had Parker contact becomes available/wants the job.

If Paul Chryst is already promised the job then Maturi's handlers deserve untold ripping and harassment. Thankfully I don't see this happening since Chryst's lack of head coaching experience trumps any stupid badger fetish Maturi has.
Absolutely no doubt if Brewster say had left for another gig that Chryst would be the guy, yes Maturi would do that and love it.

Well, one thing is for sure, the meltdown will be epic in either a positive way or a negative one.

Chryst is almost as unacceptable to me as Trestman. While I believe he'd be a better coach (that's a very low bar), the very idea that Maturi would be allowed to hire a family friend at this juncture is riduclous. He probably should have been fired after the Brewster debacle, and it's bad enough that he's getting to make the next hire. To then give it to his buddy who also happens to be on the staff of our most hated rival is just mind-blowing. If either Chryst or Trestman get the job I will not waste time on Gopher football until Maturi is gone.

Calhoun's season is done tonight, if he's a target, smoke should build ....

i keep forgetting. White smoke we have a new coach? Black smoke?

guessing we're still two weeks away from any smoke

The silence is a good thing, it means the search firm is doing their jobs and the athletic department as a whole has no clue, this will change as interviews get lined up.
Thoughts:
Calhoun's season is done tonight, if he's a target, smoke should build on him before the others.
If we have a "Big Fish" on the hook through his agent, I would think it would go done faster rather than slower, both Kelly and Kiffin seemed to be hired quickly after their names were brought up.

If Stoops is a Big Fish he's out of there ASAP before chaos hits(see Kelly/Kiffin).

Guys like Calhoun,Sumlin, Hoke, Golden would have been doing homework on the gig after their agents were contacted, if they are interested, their interviews will be lined up, if not they will deny their interest publicly.

I still think Sumlin has to be the top target, it just makes sense. I also think Maturi is wishing on a star and shoving horseshoes where the sun don't shine hoping some HUGE name they've had Parker contact becomes available/wants the job.

If Paul Chryst is already promised the job then Maturi's handlers deserve untold ripping and harassment. Thankfully I don't see this happening since Chryst's lack of head coaching experience trumps any stupid badger fetish Maturi has.
Absolutely no doubt if Brewster say had left for another gig that Chryst would be the guy, yes Maturi would do that and love it.

Well, one thing is for sure, the meltdown will be epic in either a positive way or a negative one.

-1 for Chryst.
+ 1 for the post.

I've become convinced that the guys who keep bringing up Chryst and Trestman all of the time are either (1) mean people who like to scare little kids with stories about the Boogieman (2) eternal pessimists (in other words - long time Gopher fans) or (3). operatives for Maturi who keep repeating these names so we'll all be thrilled when the new coach is not either one of them.

Now, back to the main topic... maybe.

No matter who they get....some of you will be outraged. But once everything settles in and they win a game you will be behind that coach even if it is Trestman. Anyone will be better then the great car salesman Brewster.

Habemus Coachem!

indeed. i'm hoping we already do, that there's agreement in principle (via communications through intermediaries), and the week after the 27th will be used to finalize and sign

the lack of premature smoke-ulation leads me to believe the process is going well - the more conversations you need to have the harder to plug the leaks

But once everything settles in and they win a game you will be behind that coach even if it is Trestman.

No. Not even if it is Trestman or Chryst. If it is anyone other then the two of them, yes. There has to be a line somewhere.

When is Navy done??

Kenny N. Let's get it done.

I've become convinced that the guys who keep bringing up Chryst and Trestman all of the time are either (1) mean people who like to scare little kids with stories about the Boogieman (2) eternal pessimists (in other words - long time Gopher fans) or (3). operatives for Maturi who keep repeating these names so we'll all be thrilled when the new coach is not either one of them.

Now, back to the main topic... maybe.
I definitely fall under category 1. It's just a hunch I have, based on Maturi's comments and actions over the years, I'm inclined to believe that's the way that little weasel is leaning. I don't trust him and I don't want his fingerprints anywhere near this hire, but it is what it is and we have to accept it.

If we are not going to hire a proven, winning elite level coach...then I agree and reluctantly hope (given the other second tier guys mentioned) that Sumlin is our next coach.

Where did all this talk about chryst start? He has not had head coach experience and from what I have heard he is not a great recruiter. Doesn't seem to fit any profile. I think Maturi is smarter than that. He hoefully isn't bringing that disaster waiting to happen!

Triple option

I agree it has some obvious faults:

Hard to recruit upper level talent, as they don't run it in the NFL.

Hard to come from behind.

It also , I think, has some very good selling points.

1) gives us an identity.
2) Hard to play against. Defending against the run 60 times a game means no plays off for DL and Lb's on the opposing team. Especially in our climate, I think this could really wear a lot of teams down and out.
3) Would likely keep our defense on the sideline longer, and keep us in games longer.

I think Navy goes anywhere from 7-5 to 9-3 playing our schedule this year. Imagine what he could do with upgraded talent.

I think Navy goes anywhere from 7-5 to 9-3 playing our schedule this year.

What is your rationale? Navy is 7-3 against a much, much worse schedule than ours. They lost to Duke at home.

And VA Tech lost at home to James Madison

9-3 is outlandish, I admit, but I bet they beat MTSU, SDSU, N. Illinois, NW, PUR, ILL and get at least one vs. USC, WIS, IA, MSU, PSU.

That's with their current team. What if he had a team of 3 star caliber players?

Top Bottom