Sean Tyler RB from Western Michigan to transfer to Gophers!!!!!

This is a key takeaway... I think it's almost a certainty that Greg Harbaugh whispered something in Sean's ear since he's got to be quite familiar with Tyler's game.
If you get a chance, watch the Kent State offense (our new TE coach was OC) on youtube. It's a really innovative offense and uses the guy in the slot to run a ton of jet sweeps, bubble screen, and almost triple option (zone read + bubble screen).

Tyler's speed and running ability would look pretty good in that spot.

I have no idea if we are adding that wrinkle, just throwing it out there.

Pair and a spare.

I wonder what - if anything - this says about the coaching staff's level of confidence in Potts and Williams.

Let's face it - if you're 100% happy with Potts and Williams leading the RB room, you are probably not going to bring in a grad transfer RB for one year.

the coaches perceived a hole to fill, and this presumably fills it.
Potts and Williams are the spares at this point. Although really good spares. Gotta think it will be a really good competition with a new RB coach.

Will the 2023 run game resemble 2022, with a bell cow featured back who gets the bulk of the carries and is rested only occasionally, or will it more closely resemble the 2021 team, with a 'running back by committee' approach?

Will the 2023 run game resemble 2022, with a bell cow featured back who gets the bulk of the carries and is rested only occasionally, or will it more closely resemble the 2021 team, with a 'running back by committee' approach?
My guess would be Tyler leads the team in carries but he's not getting 25 carries a game or anything. He averaged 17.5 carries a game last year.

My guess would be Tyler leads the team in carries but he's not getting 25 carries a game or anything. He averaged 17.5 carries a game last year.

I think you may be right.

Tyler, Potts and Williams all have different skill sets. Potts will be more the power guy, I'd imagine.

Yep, will be interesting to see how the RB room shakes out in the spring and fall but gotta believe Tyler will be the most likely to secure the primary roll.

Having a Tyler and a Taylor in the same backfield is likely to lead to some confusion :)
Amongst us, the sportscasters and other fans. Pretty sure the team will come up with some nicknames.

I don't mean to put too much pressure on 1 kid but our offense is LOADED, Athan needs to be that guy and if he is watch out! We dont have the USC/OSU level kids, but after the super elite schools I dont think more than maybe 5 teams in the country have more offensive firepower at the RB/WR/TE position than we have.

Looks like a really nice pickup that will take some pressure off the young guys to have to fill the void left by Mo right away.

Edit - Looks like WMU still has a couple of DL in the portal, wonder if we have any interest in either of them? Sure there is some appeal for these 3 coming over from WMU to get to continue playing together at the U.
Lost my guy Braden Fiske, he's off to Florida State. Would have liked to see him in Gopher Maroon and Gold.

Good question - I'd guess probably not but that is only because Mo was so special. I don't take anything away from our current group, but Mo was like tackling a bowling ball full of razorblades and while I disagreed with it, I can see the thought process in making a team try to tackle him 30 times per game.

I'd guess it'll be more split up between Tyler, Potts and Evans to start. I think someone will emerge as the #1A and there is a chance one of the freshman jumps the line.

One of the best things about getting this guy is that we no longer NEED one of the FR to step up, but there is still a path for early PT if they earn it immediately.

I don't mean to put too much pressure on 1 kid but our offense is LOADED, Athan needs to be that guy and if he is watch out! We dont have the USC/OSU level kids, but after the super elite schools I dont think more than maybe 5 teams in the country have more offensive firepower at the RB/WR/TE position than we have.
I agree emotionally, wondering if there’s some stats that could substantiate that…

Potts and Williams just are not feature backs, run this guy and evans with Taylor coming in next year
i agree.. Potts is not the same since his injury what ever that was.... Wiliams has for sure impressed me this year with 3rd down or special use short pass , blocking etc....

i like it.
This could all also be entirely coincidence and I'm not sure how much a new TE coach is going to impact our eventual offense but Kent State used a ton of Jet Sweep action in their running game and that requires someone with quite a bit of speed.
i am so glad KC the traitor is gone. offense was bland. that guy is gone. NOW.... i would not have made the the CO OC deal fleck did which i am very disappointed in, we will see. but KC good ridence

If we can find some kind of OL transfer between now and post-spring ball, I honestly can't say we have a need on the offensive side of the ball. Crazy! We REALLY seem to be shaping up for an exciting offense in 2023!
We might've said the same thing about Axel Ruschmeyer, former walk-on, but he played well (AFAIK) in 2022. So maybe Boe and Shaw do the same in 23.

I would assume we have one of the smallest NIL collectives in FBS and are not going to outbid the oilmen boosters of Okie State.
Their NIL doesn’t seem to be working too great. Looks like it’s been a messy year for the Pokes, lots of starters transferring out.

He can take notes from another good college football player.

View attachment 23112
This Sean Tyler from Western Michigan has a friend on Twitter TRoy as the handle that is a wideout with some serious wheels. Wondering if Tyler can convince Harbaugh and staff to take a look. Know they are not big on Jucco guys but his twitter friend seems to catch the ball and make people miss a lot. WR or CB, I would take a look at him.

Good question - I'd guess probably not but that is only because Mo was so special. I don't take anything away from our current group, but Mo was like tackling a bowling ball full of razorblades and while I disagreed with it, I can see the thought process in making a team try to tackle him 30 times per game.

I'd guess it'll be more split up between Tyler, Potts and Evans to start. I think someone will emerge as the #1A and there is a chance one of the freshman jumps the line.

One of the best things about getting this guy is that we no longer NEED one of the FR to step up, but there is still a path for early PT if they earn it immediately.
Regardless, we’d like to let Evans impress form the get go this year.

I’d like to see Evans on short yardage, Tyler and Williams mixed in on passing downs, maybe both on the field. Then a mix of Tyler, Taylor, and Evans on early downs, mostly Tyler and Taylor. Potts sorry to say, but a transfer may be mutually beneficial.

These guys were already in the portal so they were going to end up somewhere else regardless. Doubt the fans will hold it against Fleck, in fact they might like the fact that their former coach is giving some of these guys a shot to be power 5 contributors.
I feel a little sorry for Western Michigan as we have poached their coach a few years ago and now we are taking three of their best players!!

I know you felt we were good at RB from exchanges we have had on here but I feel a lot better about our RB situation now with this new Sean Tyler addition. We really needed someone who was ready to go right now. We have high hopes for our incoming freshman though and hopefully they can gain some experience and be ready to help out because we will need them in the future!!

Top Bottom