Sean Stherlin Commited

I don't want to come off as a downer here (and realize it will come off as such) but this just doesn't move the needle for me. Have we really evolved into a program that takes New Hampshire role players and gets excited about it? His shooting numbers are horrible and we need capable shooters more than anything else besides a center right now, and it isn't even close.

Just a discussion point, but what does he bring that Gach doesn't? With the understanding that Gach is a wing who can rebound at a high level and that's about it.

**Also don't want this to come off as criticizing Ben Johnson as I'm excited for what he'll eventually do here, but this move may be a sign that A) We're going to be horrible for the next year or two and B) how bad the current state of the program is that he's taking over

I don't want to come off as a downer here (and realize it will come off as such) but this just doesn't move the needle for me. Have we really evolved into a program that takes New Hampshire role players and gets excited about it? His shooting numbers are horrible and we need capable shooters more than anything else besides a center right now, and it isn't even close.

Just a discussion point, but what does he bring that Gach doesn't? With the understanding that Gach is a wing who can rebound at a high level and that's about it.

**Also don't want this to come off as criticizing Ben Johnson as I'm excited for what he'll eventually do here, but this move may be a sign that A) We're going to be horrible for the next year or two and B) how bad the current state of the program is that he's taking over
Theres still 6 more scholarships available, this move doesnt move the needle much but hes a 1 year guy that provides depth. I doubt he plays alot but he defends and rebounds and is a tough athletic kid.

We take good players no matter where they have played. He is a good PG and will fill in nicely in a very big hole.

Theres still 6 more scholarships available, this move doesnt move the needle much but hes a 1 year guy that provides depth. I doubt he plays alot but he defends and rebounds and is a tough athletic kid.
Very fair response, I can respect that. I just don't believe there's any reason a B1G team can't go out and compete for (and land) higher impact transfers especially with how saturated the portal is these days. I can start to get excited if we can land any of the Groves brothers, Kyler Edwards, Christian Bishop, Parker Fox, Boogie Ellis, etc... there's plenty of bigger names out there. Let's go get a few of them and field a semi-competitive team for the next few years during the rebuild!

I agree that this is a depth move, but 6 more scholarships remaining? That would have to mean no Thompson or Pohto.

We take good players no matter where they have played. He is a good PG and will fill in nicely in a very big hole.
If you've seen him play extensively and truly believe he's going to be a guy that can impact winning in the B1G, awesome! I'll take your word.

That being said, who besides Battle is going to be able to hit an outside jumper for us next year (even when left wide open)? That's the million dollar question. It needs to get addressed within these next 5 scholarships that get filled. It simply has to.

If you've seen him play extensively and truly believe he's going to be a guy that can impact winning in the B1G, awesome! I'll take your word.

That being said, who besides Battle is going to be able to hit an outside jumper for us next year (even when left wide open)? That's the million dollar question. It needs to get addressed within these next 5 scholarships that get filled. It simply has to.
The two guards added were pretty solid from three point land IIRC

From Gopher Illustrated

Minnesota Head Coach Ben Johnson added another graduate transfer commitment today when former Irondale (MN) High School wing Sean Sutherlin committed to the program.

Sean played at New Hampshire during his junior season (2019-20) but missed all of 2020-21 because of an injury. Sutherlin averaged 12.8 points, 9.3 rebounds, and 2.6 assists a game as a junior at New Hampshire and his 7.4 defensive rebounds a contest – as a 6-foot-5 200 pound wing – was the 14th highest total in the nation. Sutherlin made 43.4 percent of the 11-12 shots he took a game as a junior and 57 percent of his foul shots. Sutherlin, who was born in New Brighton, Minnesota, took only 27 threes as a junior making seven.

Sutherlin is a hard working player that defends hard and is willing to compete for any role at his homestate scREAD MOREReport: Jeff Fisher hired by collegefootball program

As a freshman and sophomore Sutherlin helped lead Sheridan College to a 55-9 record and a pair of league titles. Sean averaged 11 points and five rebounds a game at Sheridan as a sophomore starting every game.

At Irondale as a listed 6-foto-3 senior Sean averaged 23.7 points, 6.5 rebounds, and nearly five assists per contest. He is the third leading scorer in Irondale history. Sutherlin played with the Minnesota Heat during his 17 and Under season in the summer of 2016. One of his teammates was non other than Parker Fox, a transfer target from Northern State the Gophers are tracking closely.

Gym rat....

Don't use that term! Pitino used that to describe players who he couldn't say anything particularly good about.

Very fair response, I can respect that. I just don't believe there's any reason a B1G team can't go out and compete for (and land) higher impact transfers especially with how saturated the portal is these days. I can start to get excited if we can land any of the Groves brothers, Kyler Edwards, Christian Bishop, Parker Fox, Boogie Ellis, etc... there's plenty of bigger names out there. Let's go get a few of them and field a semi-competitive team for the next few years during the rebuild!
Ben’s major priority is to start building a program. He wants players that will establish the culture and work ethic. Getting a good selection of the best of the late bloomers that are ready to move up to the P5 level is about as good as we can expect at this stage. The top high impact players from P5 schools may not be attracted to a new coach with no track record. Also, those P5 players may not be as moldable into Ben’s culture. It is too early to be judging the level of recruits.

I'm with GameDay, these moves are becoming more and more meh. We are building quite a team set up to dominate the Horizon League! Like GameDay said, im not saying Johnson is a lost hope I know building isn't a few week thing, but man is depressing to know we are likely 3 years from even considering an NCAA run

Totally, he's trying to find bandaids while building the program he wants to build, which IMO starts with the 2022 class. Guess I'm just a little underwhelmed with the transfers we've added thus far (outside of Battle, excited for him) considering what other P5 teams are adding through the portal. Not putting this on Johnson. Just pretty frustrated with where the program is at right now. Our fanbase deserves some winning teams. Hopefully Johnson takes us there in due time.
Ben’s major priority is to start building a program. He wants players that will establish the culture and work ethic. Getting a good selection of the best of the late bloomers that are ready to move up to the P5 level is about as good as we can expect at this stage. The top high impact players from P5 schools may not be attracted to a new coach with no track record. Also, those P5 players may not be as moldable into Ben’s culture. It is too early to be judging the level of recruits.

Sean played at New Hampshire during his junior season (2019-20) but missed all of 2020-21 because of an injury. Sutherlin averaged 12.8 points, 9.3 rebounds, and 2.6 assists a game as a junior at New Hampshire and his 7.4 defensive rebounds a contest – as a 6-foot-5 200 pound wing – was the 14th highest total in the nation. Sutherlin made 43.4 percent of the 11-12 shots he took a game as a junior and 57 percent of his foul shots. Sutherlin, who was born in New Brighton, Minnesota, took only 27 threes as a junior making seven.

He wasn't the most efficient player at NH but he was a stat stuffer - a do-it-all type. He played 35 or more minutes a game in 18 of their 28 games and 40 minutes or more in 5 of them,

Gophs finished 13th. Pitino took the program down a eight year long dusty back road without a map.

Race Thompson announces he’s staying with IU men’s basketball, withdraws from transfer portal. Izzy Myszak. Redshirt junior Thompson announced Thursday via Instagram he is returning to IU next season. By Grace Ybarra.

I'm with GameDay, these moves are becoming more and more meh. We are building quite a team set up to dominate the Horizon League! Like GameDay said, im not saying Johnson is a lost hope I know building isn't a few week thing, but man is depressing to know we are likely 3 years from even considering an NCAA run
That's where I'm at. Excited for what Ben is able to do as he gets more traction but resigned to the fact that this is probably a bottom end B1G team for the next two years. Not a popular opinion to voice, but I'm just speaking honestly. I'll say that if Ben can close the borders more, we're going to be in great shape long term.

Why would that mean no Pohto or Thompson? Thompson is coming and Pohto probably not

Other than Pohto reportedly saying he may reassess his commitment, what other evidence do we have that he won't come here? I'm not sure he gets a better offer at this point.

Top Bottom