Sean Henderson: "Minnesota knows they're probably fighting an uphill battle"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Sean Henderson: "Minnesota knows they're probably fighting an uphill battle"

per this interview with SuperPrep.com:

http://minnesota.scout.com/2/939892.html

The recruitment of Scout.com's highest rated player, Seantrel Henderson, is heading down the home stretch, and several schools have conducted in-home visits recently. How will Henderson finally be able to decide between so many great programs, and where do things stand today? Bill Greene gets the answers from Henderson's father, Sean.

Where do things stand at the moment in the recruitment of Scout.com's number one player, Seantrel Henderson? Bill Greene has the answers in this question/answer session with Henderson's father, Sean.

Greene: Can you tell me about the in-home visits you've had this week?

Henderson: "This week we had Minnesota on Sunday, Notre Dame on Monday and Ohio State was last night. Minnesota knows they're probably fighting an uphill battle, but they did a great job in their presentation. Meeting Brian Kelly was better than I thought it would be, because he's now the new guy at Notre Dame, and we had a relationship with the other staff. Kelly was very personable and the conversation we had with him was very good. It was like we had known him for a while. Coach (Jim) Tressel explained his philosophy of how he does things at Ohio State, and how they see Seantrel. It was an impressive presentation, and he and his coaches did a great job."

Greene: We had talked earlier about the Urban Meyer situation at Florida, on the very day his announcement was made. How do you view that situation today?

Henderson: "The only thing I could say again, is we are very concerned about stability within every program. Coach Meyer is very personable and we liked him a lot, but that off-and-on retirement definitely shook up Seantrel. He had formed relationships with players going to Florida, and same with USC, then it seemed like he had to start all over. Florida, and USC, are both great schools, and it remains to be seen how the coaching changes will effect things. We are trying to look at each school as an institution, not focus on the head coaches entirely."

Greene: We've heard that both you and Seantrel were very high on USC. Did the Pete Carroll retirement have an effect on things?

Henderson: "I don't know why people say we are so high on USC, when that has never been said. We've never said we were high on Minnesota, Oklahoma, or anyone else. We're trying to be fair to everybody, and we are still trying to look at this as objectively as we can. We just want Seantrel to be able to see every school, and meet every coach, so he can make a smart decision. He has worked hard to be in this position, and we don't want his decision to be based entirely on the head coach, including the Pete Carroll situation. We want him to focus on the school, and the opportunities available to him, be that USC or any other school. The only problem I had with the Pete Carroll situation, or the Urban Meyer situation, or even Charlie Weis, is the fact that we visited these staffs a while ago. We got to know these people, and now they're gone."

Greene: Has this process been a joy to go through? Or extremely stressful?

Henderson: "I would say we know how blessed we are to see our son in this position, and we're quite proud of him. It has been a little stressful, but we have tried to teach Seantrel that with high expectations and praise, come responsibilities, such as dealing cordially with people like yourself. We know people are interested in the recruiting process, and we've tried to be fair with everybody. The bottom line is that not every kid gets to meet these great coaches, or have so many great universities recruiting you, so all of us look at it as a blessing, and we're quite thankful."

Greene: What about the passion of the fans, and the scrutiny of the media? Has it been over the line?

Henderson: "No, it's been what we expected really, and people have been great to us. We're trying to not let Seantrel get caught up in this hype, but be gracious to everyone, fans and media, and always show respect and gratitude. We've tried to answer all the questions and be accessible to everyone, and we've taught Seantrel to take the good with the bad, because that goes with the territory of being a famous athlete. We know there are going to be a lot of unhappy people at the end of this process, and only one school's fan base will be happy with us. We know that no matter where Seantrel goes, there will be fans of the team he doesn't select, and media people, that will rip him for making a bad decision. Whether he chooses to stay home and go to Minnesota, or go far away to USC, or stay somewhere in between, he is prepared to read and hear things that aren't true. It's part of being a player that is highly recruited, and he's not the first, or the last, to go through it."

Greene: What about the relationships Seantrel has built with other players from around the country? Will that have an effect on his decision?

Henderson: "He has met a lot of great players, and made several solid relationships. Some of these players have now been put in the same situation with these coaching changes, as we were. He spent a lot of time with players who were committed to USC, and they were completely crushed by Coach Carroll's decision. That gets frustrating for Seantrel, and the other players thinking about going to schools like USC, Florida and Notre Dame. We've met so many great people, at so many schools, that I think Seantrel will fit in well anywhere he chooses."

Greene: How much will the coaching stability, or instability, be outweighed by the schools themselves?

Henderson: "That's a great question, but right now we're trying to look at this from the point of view of seeing the school as an institution, because coaches come and go, as we've seen over the past few months. A coach might be gone at any given time. Seantrel needs to find the school where he can be the best student he can be, the best citizen he can be, and the best football player he can be. He needs to take all the information he's gathered, and make the decision of where he can best succeed in all areas. All the schools we're considering afford him that opportunity, regardless of their head coaching status. Ultimately, it won't be one particular message, or one piece of mail, or one phone call, or any one thing that will make the difference right now. Personally, I think Seantrel has seen enough, and spoken to enough people, that he will be able to make his decision after these home visits are completed. We've done a thorough job since last fall, to put him in a position to make the most well-informed decision he could make. I feel certain of that. He's the one that going to wake up there every day, and it's all about where he feels most comfortable."

Seantrel Henderson will be making his announcement on National Signing Day, and it will be broadcast on CBS College Sports. Scout.com will continue to update the Henderson recruitment as the situation warrants.

Go Gophers!!

Ugh. I wish I could drink before work.

After reading that, I don't see how he doesn't end up at OSU.

Based on rumors and previous sound bites I did not have a real high opinion of Sean Henderson. He came across very sincere and well grounded in this interview. It sounds like they are handling this as best they can and will make what they think is the best decision for Seantrel. That's about all you can ask of them.

After reading that, I don't see how he doesn't end up at OSU.

recruiting guys on rivals radio have been saying for the last 2 weeks that Ohio State was Henderson's number 1 choice. they listed what they thought was his top 4 choices and not once has Minnesota even been mentioned.

...moved on from SH a long time ago. The very top MN kid who doesn't commit to the U early is headed somewhere else. ie. McNeil, Floyd, Mobley, WLA, Carufel, Laws

I think Seantrel should pick Ohio State. If his football career fizzles, there should be many Columbus area folks willing to give him a job.

Seriously, I think the Hendersons pooh pooh Minnesota at their peril. During hiring, I look exclusively at U of MN grads and we have brought on Minnesota athletes as interns, etc. after their college days. I would never even consider bringing on a Bryce McNaul, Michael Floyd, or any other local guy who turned his back on the U. Many major organizations in this town are run by U grads and I promise you they know who the local kids are who pick Minnesota and those that go elsewhere. I have had this conversation with the head of one of the largest companies in the city of Minneapolis.

You can call me any name you want, but the reality is that a very, very small % of high school fb players make it to the NFL. That low % also applies to the highly recruited ones. These kids need to think about their futures on the field AND after football. How on earth it benefits a kid like Seantrel Henderson to be another piece of meat in Columbus is absolutely beyond me.

I'm pretty much done with the Seantrel Henderson stuff. It's clear he's not coming here and it's also clear that his dad never wanted Seantrel here. As such, i'm more interested in kids that actually want to be Gophers than ones that are looking for the bigger, better deal.

I think Seantrel should pick Ohio State. If his football career fizzles, there should be many Columbus area folks willing to give him a job.

Seriously, I think the Hendersons pooh pooh Minnesota at their peril. During hiring, I look exclusively at U of MN grads and we have brought on Minnesota athletes as interns, etc. after their college days. I would never even consider bringing on a Bryce McNaul, Michael Floyd, or any other local guy who turned his back on the U. Many major organizations in this town are run by U grads and I promise you they know who the local kids are who pick Minnesota and those that go elsewhere. I have had this conversation with the head of one of the largest companies in the city of Minneapolis.

You can call me any name you want, but the reality is that a very, very small % of high school fb players make it to the NFL. That low % also applies to the highly recruited ones. These kids need to think about their futures on the field AND after football. How on earth it benefits a kid like Seantrel Henderson to be another piece of meat in Columbus is absolutely beyond me.
Is this why John Alt has been on welfare and food stamps since Sid vowed he would "never work in MN" after he spurned The U? You must be a pretty powerful little guy, Pete!

How on earth it benefits a kid like Seantrel Henderson to be another piece of meat in Columbus is absolutely beyond me.
Being a native Ohioan, I think people really underestimate on here just how big Buckeye football is in the state of Ohio. Even if Seantrel is, say, the fifth most popular guy on the team, that would still make him infinitely better known than he would be in Minnesota if he played for the Gophers. The depth and the passion of the fan base simply dwarfs ours, and assuming there are even any jobs in the state of Ohio in five years, I think he'll be fine.

Don't get me wrong, I would love it if Seantrel came here and I think in many ways it would be a smart move for him, but lets not act like he would go to Ohio State and fade into oblivion.

I'm pretty much done with the Seantrel Henderson stuff. It's clear he's not coming here and it's also clear that his dad never wanted Seantrel here. As such, i'm more interested in kids that actually want to be Gophers than ones that are looking for the bigger, better deal.

To be fair, at this point it seems like his dad is the one looking for "the bigger, better deal". Nothing SH himself has said has come off as dismissive of the U. That stuff all comes from his dad.

Being a native Ohioan, I think people really underestimate on here just how big Buckeye football is in the state of Ohio. Even if Seantrel is, say, the fifth most popular guy on the team, that would still make him infinitely better known than he would be in Minnesota if he played for the Gophers. The depth and the passion of the fan base simply dwarfs ours, and assuming there are even any jobs in the state of Ohio in five years, I think he'll be fine.

Don't get me wrong, I would love it if Seantrel came here and I think in many ways it would be a smart move for him, but lets not act like he would go to Ohio State and fade into oblivion.

I agree with everything you wrote, especially the bold.

But, in turn, I think you are underestimating the effect it would have on Minnesota to sign the #2 overall recruit in the country. I know, at least in my circle of college friends, there are a few not-so-passionate Gophers fans who are waiting for the team to give them a reason to follow. (Fair weather, I know, but that's the way it is.) Me telling them, "Hey, the Gophers signed the #2 overall recruit in the country" would, if nothing else, force them to take the team more seriously. Maybe 1 or 2 would even start going to games for the first time in years. And I'm certain my situation is not unique. And even if he is "just an OT", his signing would at least make other highly-ranked recruits take a longer look at Minnesota in future years.

While I thought about that and certainly believe it to be true, another 6-6 year would squash that optimism and interest very quickly.

I've always thought that was why Seantrel was waiting to see how the Gophers did this year. I'm sure he would love to be part of a big turnaround, both in results and interest, but looking at the results that Brewster has put up so far, that would be a risky decision for him to make.

Again, lots of speculation based mostly on parsing and my own internal musings.

To be fair, at this point it seems like his dad is the one looking for "the bigger, better deal". Nothing SH himself has said has come off as dismissive of the U. That stuff all comes from his dad.

Good point. But with how much dad has been flapping his gums (and is almost certainly in Seantrel's ear), I've come to the realization that it's not worth getting optimistic at this point.

Good point. But with how much dad has been flapping his gums (and is almost certainly in Seantrel's ear), I've come to the realization that it's not worth getting optimistic at this point.

Oh I agree. If we land SH its because HE wanted to go here (possibly with a little nudge from his Mom since she is supposed to like Brew a lot). If he wants to go somewhere else I certainly won't hold it against him.

Good points, I've been saying a version of this for a long time. Not many college towns have the number of Fortune 100 companies that we have. If SH comes here, he is guaranteed a job or endorsements if he makes the NFL or not. I personally think he's a shoe in but many top recruits have withered in college and or their initial seasons in the NFL. The U does a horrible job of recruiting on economics and potential community-driven opportunities that are unique here within the business community. We should rarely loose big-time in-state recruits. A lot of people say they don't care, but loosing the top recruit in the nation from your home state is a joke. It effects the program hugely in regards to future recruiting and should never happen. Also, people rip Royce White to shreads on these boards but I will say this about him. He has always been very compimentary regarding the U and his coaches. He could have went anywhere but chose his home and still says he would only want to play here. I don't know if SH shares that sentiment.

One morning soon, Seantrel will have to wake up, find his dad, and without having a conversation, just tell him where he's going. He needs to make this decision for himself and no one else.

A lot of people say they don't care, but loosing the top recruit in the nation from your home state is a joke. It effects the program hugely in regards to future recruiting and should never happen.

First off, he is no longer the #1 recruit.

Secondly, the #1 recruit in the nation has not signed with his home-state school since 2003. Not once. And it hasn't seemed to affect USC, Penn State, Virginia Tech, or Texas too badly in their recruiting efforts.

Wow. I'm shocked that ANYONE that didn't go to the U can find a job in Minnesota after school.

I agree with everything you wrote, especially the bold.

But, in turn, I think you are underestimating the effect it would have on Minnesota to sign the #2 overall recruit in the country. I know, at least in my circle of college friends, there are a few not-so-passionate Gophers fans who are waiting for the team to give them a reason to follow. (Fair weather, I know, but that's the way it is.) Me telling them, "Hey, the Gophers signed the #2 overall recruit in the country" would, if nothing else, force them to take the team more seriously. Maybe 1 or 2 would even start going to games for the first time in years. And I'm certain my situation is not unique. And even if he is "just an OT", his signing would at least make other highly-ranked recruits take a longer look at Minnesota in future years.

This is exactly the same argument for why the on-campus stadium was needed. And judging by the empty sections of seats later in its inaugural season, especially in the student section, it's obvious TCF Bank Stadium did NOT achieve its intended purpose..."build it...and the students and fans will come..." :rolleyes:

Looks like ND or OSU to me. Who can blame the kid. These are excellent football programs made to get a kid ready for the NFL. Whoever he picks, and I am not giving up on MN, I wish him the best of luck.

This is exactly the same argument for why the on-campus stadium was needed. And judging by the empty sections of seats later in its inaugural season, especially in the student section, it's obvious TCF Bank Stadium did NOT achieve its intended purpose..."build it...and the students and fans will come..." :rolleyes:

So the fans didn't go from depressingly apathetic to stark raving Gopher lunatics? In ONE season?

What a shocker!

Might as well dig a big, big hole next to the stadium and shove 'er in! The State Fair-goers sure could use the parking!

Aside from the student section, the games were pretty well attended. Presumably, the students who got bored and stopped showing up will not renew season tickets for next year. Those students who get tickets for next season will probably be the ones more inclined to attend. All you have to do is compare TCF stadium with the tomb that the Dome was to see the difference.

The main argument for an on-campus stadium was revenue. First, all concessions and parking revenue would stay at the U, and second there's a better chance of building a larger fan base, which will increase revenue through more tickets and product licensing. No one ever said, that overnight, the Gophers would have the best fan base in the country with tailgating fanatics packing the parking lots.

-100. Go away. You obviously hate the Gophers. Nearly all of your arguments are intellectually dishonest. I'm not gonna re-open the attendance arguments except to mention that every single ticket was purchased for every home game. When's the last time the Gophers sold 50,850 seats for every single home game?

This is a board for FANS. Go away please.

For how involved Sean wants to be in Seantrels life. You would think the logical choice is the U.

His son can become the local hero and dad can watch him practice and be at every game with little effort.

And in the end if he's good enough to make the pros he will do it no matter where he ends up.

If it's more about notoriety then he will sell out n sign at tOSU, ND, USC...

Is Seantrels favorite college team the Gophers? He's been to many home football games and seems to enjoy going to Gopher bball games in the barn.

I think we're all in for a pleasant surprise.

Top Bottom