scrimmage notes...

book

Reaction score
Looking good - Carter, DeVoe, Trevor. Nice shots early by Samson but Colton fundamentally is a better rebounder... Damion as usual great defender... Liked Cobbs - Al still can't shoot but passes well... Hoff hit one or two threes but missed several others... Still just a scrimmage but the talent level looks amazing.... White will need some time as well as Williams - but I see Williams better right now... Trevor is a monster down deep! Hope his problems off the court go well... It will be an interesting season! Wesbrook didn't do much but he will...

Looking good - Carter, DeVoe, Trevor. Nice shots early by Samson but Colton fundamentally is a better rebounder... Damion as usual great defender... Liked Cobbs - Al still can't shoot but passes well... Hoff hit one or two threes but missed several others... Still just a scrimmage but the talent level looks amazing.... White will need some time as well as Williams - but I see Williams better right now... Trevor is a monster down deep! Hope his problems off the court go well... It will be an interesting season! Wesbrook didn't do much but he will...

Williams ahead of White? This is discouraging. Some publications have White as the most talented freshman in the Big Ten. Wasn't Williams the one that was the best candidate for a redshirt? I'm confused, but I'll take your word, you were there.

Williams ahead of White? This is discouraging. Some publications have White as the most talented freshman in the Big Ten. Wasn't Williams the one that was the best candidate for a redshirt? I'm confused, but I'll take your word, you were there.

It's a scrimmage....I wouldn't read too much into the "starting lineups"

White is light years ahead of Williams, it's not even close! I was there, and it is clear that Williams has a way to go from an offensive standpoint.

Royce is Big Ten ready now, especially physically. Williams would get eaten up in the Big Ten right now.

I've never seen Williams play and White only twice, once in person and once on TV. In the games that I watched White was the third most impressive player on the Hopkins HS team (behind Brohammer (sp?) and Clarke). White was able to dominate high school players but it won't be so easy in the B10. My snapshot impression was that Novak had almost no control over him. If my assessment is correct, Tubby will have to invest a lot of time into White for it to be beneficial for both of them.

I've never seen Williams play and White only twice, once in person and once on TV. In the games that I watched White was the third most impressive player on the Hopkins HS team (behind Brohammer (sp?) and Clarke). White was able to dominate high school players but it won't be so easy in the B10. My snapshot impression was that Novak had almost no control over him. If my assessment is correct, Tubby will have to invest a lot of time into White for it to be beneficial for both of them.

If you came away thinking Brohammer or Clarke was more impressive than White than you dont know the first thing about basketball...

I'm sorry, but I saw just about every Hopkins home game (and a number of road games) last season and White was ALWAYS the best player on the floor. At times, yes, he looked bored. That's because he was man amongst boys out there. He didn't need to try to score. Often he would sit back, allow his teammates to get involved and then rattle off 7-10 points in a row. In one game, he had four straight dunks in a four-minute span. I can see how you can be confused with Broghammer appearing better, but he's not. Nothing against Broghammer, but White is just a superior talent. Period.
Also, who is this Clark player you speak of?
By the way, Novak had complete control of his team. What games did you see? I might be able to explain what was going on.

FYI, Darren Clarke graduated from Hopkins in '03.

My mistake. I was thinking of the guard who graduated last year and I can't remember his name. I think he went the JC route. Helluva player

If you came away thinking Brohammer or Clarke was more impressive than White than you dont know the first thing about basketball...

I've watched thousands of games--enough to know that the most talented player doesn't always turn out to be the best player.

I'm sorry, but I saw just about every Hopkins home game (and a number of road games) last season and White was ALWAYS the best player on the floor. At times, yes, he looked bored. That's because he was man amongst boys out there. He didn't need to try to score. Often he would sit back, allow his teammates to get involved and then rattle off 7-10 points in a row. In one game, he had four straight dunks in a four-minute span. I can see how you can be confused with Broghammer appearing better, but he's not. Nothing against Broghammer, but White is just a superior talent. Period.
Also, who is this Clark player you speak of?
By the way, Novak had complete control of his team. What games did you see? I might be able to explain what was going on.

In both of the games I saw, he looked quite bored and that is what I meant when I said that it didn't appear that Novak had much control. If a player looks that disengaged the way to change his attitude is a reduction in playing time. That's why I said that Tubby will have to spend a lot of time with him. It will be interesting to see if he works harder at the D-1 level.

My mistake. I was thinking of the guard who graduated last year and I can't remember his name. I think he went the JC route. Helluva player

If you are thinking of Marcus Williams, he was simply not better than any of White, Lockett, Cowels, or Broghammer.

White was their best, most dominant, most versatile, most effective player. He is also LIGHT YEARS ahead of Rodney Williams, Jr.

If you are thinking of Marcus Williams, he was simply not better than any of White, Lockett, Cowels, or Broghammer.

White was their best, most dominant, most versatile, most effective player. He is also LIGHT YEARS ahead of Rodney Williams, Jr.

I've never seen Rodney play but that seems to be the consensus.

To say Novak had no control of Royce is idiocy. He had very good control. The minute Royce showed any sign of acting out or pouting Kenny took him out and sat him. Royce respected his coach and I think he improved as the year went on. He didn't need to stand out but he showed he's the best passing big man since Mark Olberding.

Top Bottom