Scrimmage notes

And if you think practices are going to be indistinguishable from games, you're going to be mistaken.

And you're the last person who should complain about personal attacks.

LOL.....did you even play sports in junior high?

I played football in high school, I've seen practices and real games at all levels, I know the difference between a game and a practice.

For the love of god. Would everyone who does it (not just c'monman) give this "did you play" dick measuring BS up? No one cares whether or what you played. I've caught myself doing this before and I try hard not to do it b/c it really doesn't matter. It really doesn't. Plenty of people know sports while never having played or played but only at a low level. Some of the dumbest sports analysts I know are former players from the highest level. People's arguments are dumb or smart on their own. Sheesh.

I played football in high school, I've seen practices and real games at all levels, I know the difference between a game and a practice.

ok, then you would realize that the coaches expect the players to play at "110%" on each play/drill that they run. Practices (especially in college) are run at a pace where it should be indistinguishable between the urgency/effort in an actual game. As a result, the players are better mentally and physically prepared when they go into the actual game.

You seem to not understand this though. FYI, tell Jay Robinson (Wrestling coach) that you believe in this philosophy. He will laugh in your face.

For the love of god. Would everyone who does it (not just c'monman) give this "did you play" dick measuring BS up? No one cares whether or what you played. I've caught myself doing this before and I try hard not to do it b/c it really doesn't matter. It really doesn't. Plenty of people know sports while never having played or played but only at a low level. Some of the dumbest sports analysts I know are former players from the highest level. People's arguments are dumb or smart on their own. Sheesh.

actually it does hold significant weight in the context of this argument.

LOL.....did you even play sports in junior high?

First of all, respect your elders, Charlie Brown. If your mother saw you talking like this, she would take your computer away from you for a week.

The scrimmage was largely a media/general public event. Running sets as vanilla as it gets, with many players FOR THE MOST PART, running around 90%. This was for the fans and the media. The coaches see these guys every day in practice, twice a day. Not saying there isn't some hitting going on and guys aren't trying, but I'd rather it was this way without getting anybody injured than getting a few key guys banged up before the most critical season in Brewster's tenure.

Always gotta love the "have you even PLAYED sports competitively?" statement. That ranks right up there with "Do you know who I am??" I'd be shocked if you played at a higher level than I did but I just choose not to spout off about it on here. What's the sense in being condescending and trying to degrade people because they may not have suited up? Does that make you more of a fan?

I'll base my judgments on the team from what I see against MTSU in a couple weeks

actually it does hold significant weight in the context of this argument.

No, it doesn't. If you think his statement is bunk then you should be able to find ways to show it that have nothing to do with his playing history. Certainly playing sports can go a long way to helping someone better understand the game, but not playing doesn't mean a person's opinion on a sports topic is invalid. Someone's position is strong or weak on it's merits.

Also, glad to see you're not so busy today. Feel free to tear my previous post in that other thread to shreds like you offered last week. Unless you are suddenly too busy to respond again that is. ;)

First of all, respect your elders, Charlie Brown. If your mother saw you talking like this, she would take your computer away from you for a week.

The scrimmage was largely a media/general public event. Running sets as vanilla as it gets, with many players FOR THE MOST PART, running around 90%. This was for the fans and the media. The coaches see these guys every day in practice, twice a day. Not saying there isn't some hitting going on and guys aren't trying, but I'd rather it was this way without getting anybody injured than getting a few key guys banged up before the most critical season in Brewster's tenure.

Always gotta love the "have you even PLAYED sports competitively?" statement. That ranks right up there with "Do you know who I am??" I'd be shocked if you played at a higher level than I did but I just choose not to spout off about it on here. What's the sense in being condescending and trying to degrade people because they may not have suited up? Does that make you more of a fan?

I'll base my judgments on the team from what I see against MTSU in a couple weeks

ok,fair enough. I won't bring up that argument in future posts. However, I do believe that it makes it difficult for a person to understand something which they have not truly experienced.

No, it doesn't. If you think his statement is bunk then you should be able to find ways to show it that have nothing to do with his playing history.
;)

So, are you implying that you don't believe the coaches expect the players to give 110% "urgency/effort" during preseason scrimmages and practices?

So, are you implying that you don't believe the coaches expect the players to give 110% "urgency/effort" during preseason scrimmages and practices?

Did you bother to read any of my posts above? Like, the one where I agree with your position and point out to Rodent why I think he's wrong?
RR, our friend amuses me too. But he has a point when he called out your claim that they weren't expected to be full energy. As far as I can tell, he wasn't claiming it should/was run like a real game, just that the team was expected to put game time effort out. I don't recall anyone complaining that Johnson gave 110% when he blew up people with those hits. Brew wants 110% effort, energy, and execution from the team in a scrimmage like that. I'm sure what they did say to the team in advance was to be smart (i.e. don't throw down runners, be extra careful not to go helmet to helmet, etc). Of course its not a real game and the QB's get extra protection, but your original urgency/energy post was just off base.

What I was saying was, if you think he's wrong, do what I did and give some opposing points instead of engaging in a useless pissing contest.

ok,fair enough. I won't bring up that argument in future posts. However, I do believe that it makes it difficult for a person to understand something which they have not truly experienced.

That's a fair viewpoint. Personal experience certainly does lend people a certain level of insight into a situation. My original complaint about the "when did you play?" line of thought is that it seems to be used by many on this board as a way to avoid actually tacking the opposing viewpoint they disagree with.

LOL...my opposing points consisted of common sense with a touch of personal experience, no pissing contest.

As I note above, the personal viewpoint thing makes sense. But my experience on this board is that this "did you play" card often gets brought out to avoid talking about the other person's points or results in the degradation of the conversation. Why? Because the "did you play?" question gives 2 very negative implications. First, that they didn't play and thereby their opinion is invalid. Or second, that if they did play then they don't really get it. The reason those are the 2 most likely connotations? When you bring it out after already disagreeing with the person its is unlikely that you're suddenly going to go "oh, you played ball? Well, now I no longer think you're wrong". So yes, asking that question almost always results in a pissing contest about "who played and who didn't" or "who played at the higher level" or "who played for the HOF coach and thereby learned more about the game" and on and on.

So what is the point of it then? If you want to say "I played and this is my experience" I'd be all for it. That is you sharing how your experience shaped your viewpoint. But the "did you play?" question doesn't do that. Which is why its pointless and has no bearing on the conversation.

Top Bottom