Scrimmage notes from Saturday - Star Tribune

BleedGopher

Reaction score
The Gophers held their second of two spring scrimmages today at their practice field. Here are some things I was able to glean from talking to folks about the day’s events:
1. The defense is still leading the offense. No surprise, really. It’s been that way from the start of spring ball. But coach Tim Brewster was happy with the team’s four-minute drill, an exercise dedicated to running down the clock and protecting a lead. Brewster was encouraged by the team’s ability to run the ball in that situation.

2. Running back DeLeon Eskridge returned to full action today, but Kevin Whaley continues to look good in spring practices. It appears he has taken full advantage of his opportunities this spring.

3. Defensive tackles Garrett Brown and Eric Small continue to play very, very well. Those two plus Lee Campbell at middle linebacker makes the Gophers very strong up the middle. And you can put safety into that conversation as well. Just about everybody I talked to today said that Kim Royston looked very good today. He’s a safety with cover skills who isn’t shy about hitting.

4. MarQueis Gray continues to look good. Brewster, who has said Gray will play some this year, said today that the team will have a package of plays for Gray for every game this fall.

5. Over 400 kids took part in a youth day event, working with players after the scrimmage ended. Nothing like getting a 15-year head start on future recruiting classes, eh?

The team will practice two more times — next Tuesday and Thursday — before wrapping up April with the spring game at St. Thomas next Saturday.

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs.../?location_refer=Homepage:PromoScroller:Blogs

Go Gophers!!

Bleed - your #5 is the most important part of the equation - ensuring that the youth in Minnesota are Gopher fans.

The Gophers held their second of two spring scrimmages today at their practice field. Here are some things I was able to glean from talking to folks about the day’s events:
1. The defense is still leading the offense. No surprise, really. It’s been that way from the start of spring ball. But coach Tim Brewster was happy with the team’s four-minute drill, an exercise dedicated to running down the clock and protecting a lead. Brewster was encouraged by the team’s ability to run the ball in that situation.

2. Running back DeLeon Eskridge returned to full action today, but Kevin Whaley continues to look good in spring practices. It appears he has taken full advantage of his opportunities this spring.

3. Defensive tackles Garrett Brown and Eric Small continue to play very, very well. Those two plus Lee Campbell at middle linebacker makes the Gophers very strong up the middle. And you can put safety into that conversation as well. Just about everybody I talked to today said that Kim Royston looked very good today. He’s a safety with cover skills who isn’t shy about hitting.

4. MarQueis Gray continues to look good. Brewster, who has said Gray will play some this year, said today that the team will have a package of plays for Gray for every game this fall.

5. Over 400 kids took part in a youth day event, working with players after the scrimmage ended. Nothing like getting a 15-year head start on future recruiting classes, eh?

The team will practice two more times — next Tuesday and Thursday — before wrapping up April with the spring game at St. Thomas next Saturday.

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs.../?location_refer=Homepage:PromoScroller:Blogs

Go Gophers!!

My kids had a blast. I have no grand illusions that my kids (6-8-11) will some day be players, but they certainly are fans already. That is just as important.

They players were delightful and attentive. When they would "pick" on a kid, Coach Cross would comment "They'll pay for THAT later..."

MarQueis is not only athletic, but a brute. His thighs are like most players' waist. In uni, he looks inches taller, wider and imposing than Adam, even though they're listed roughly the same. Maybe it's his new "do".

Top Bottom