Scott Frost: worst FBS Coach or Second Bottom?

Maybe that's how Joe Salem somehow lasted 5 years at Minnesota (1979-83). I can't really offer any insight there since my Gopher memories don't go back that far. I do know he was the head coach for that infamous game against Nebraska in 83. I guess it took something like that to finally get him fired.
I was there, and the product on the field was terrible, but too many bad citizens that populated the roster and embarrassing off the field garbage are what finished off Smokey Joe. A lot of cheating and no on field success is a terrible combination. In this era, he may have been done after the Nebraska nightmare, allowing the search for a new coach to get started immediately.

Maybe that's how Joe Salem somehow lasted 5 years at Minnesota (1979-83). I can't really offer any insight there since my Gopher memories don't go back that far. I do know he was the head coach for that infamous game against Nebraska in 83. I guess it took something like that to finally get him fired.
I think it was Paul Giel's dogged desire to kill our football program that allowed him to last that long.

If you ask an algorithm Scott Frost is having a solid year and has consistently fielded middle to upper division Big Ten teams. Always looking robust in the computer rankings, but crappy in the W-L.

The players seem to be able to do some positive things but something causes them to be less than the sum of the parts, year after year.

If you ask an algorithm Scott Frost is having a solid year and has consistently fielded middle to upper division Big Ten teams. Always looking robust in the computer rankings, but crappy in the W-L.

The players seem to be able to do some positive things but something causes them to be less than the sum of the parts, year after year.
In other words, Scott Frost's Nebraska teams are only good if we decide that it doesn't matter who actually wins the games.

Salem was an M-man and the M-clubbers and the downtown guys really liked him. He had a decent record at South Dakota and Northern Arizona, so there was hope when he was hired. The firing of Cal Stoll always puzzled me because he was an M-man as well.

I don't like to speak ill of the dead, but Sid loved Salem. At least when he got fired, the was replaced by someone Sid loved even more.

Frost has not recruited well this year and many five year players will be leaving.
Whether you like Martinez or not there must not be a reasonable replacement for him. He will not be there next year.
According to Frost Martinez was "beat up" yet he still played him.
Next year could well be worse than Frost's prior years.
NE might be waiting for the NCAA decisions so they could fire him for cause.

I was there, and the product on the field was terrible, but too many bad citizens that populated the roster and embarrassing off the field garbage are what finished off Smokey Joe. A lot of cheating and no on field success is a terrible combination. In this era, he may have been done after the Nebraska nightmare, allowing the search for a new coach to get started immediately.
Yes, it is amazing that he lasted the whole season.
Salem was an M-man and the M-clubbers and the downtown guys really liked him. He had a decent record at South Dakota and Northern Arizona, so there was hope when he was hired. The firing of Cal Stoll always puzzled me because he was an M-man as well.

I don't like to speak ill of the dead, but Sid loved Salem. At least when he got fired, the was replaced by someone Sid loved even more.
I figured it had something to do with his U connections. He was arguably the worst Gopher football coach ever, although I'd give the title to Tim Brewster. He was just let go before he could fail as badly as Smokey Joe.

Smokey Joe wasn't really that bad of a coach. He finished as high as 5th in the Big Ten in 1980 and they were ranked at #20 in 1982 before the wheels fell off the cart and half the team was injured. He had an excellent OC in Mike Shanahan who ran a very cool run and shoot offense with Mike Hohensee as their QB and they had a huge upset over OSU in 1981 where Ho threw for like 444 yards.

The thing you have got to remember about Joe Salem is he had absolutely NO HELP from the higher ups at the U of M and they did their best to downplay and downgrade any kind of help for athletics. Salem couldn't afford to keep his staff and his facilities and weight rooms were horrible. They tried to make the Metro Dome sound like a football palace which it certainly wasn't because it was all he really had.

Scott Frost's Cornhuskers seem to annually be the most hyped bad team out there. The amount of times I hear that they are better than their record is getting ridiculous as the results repeat themselves year after year. At some point your record is what it is. If his teams were good at football, they would win more football games.
It is pretty insulting as a Gopher, Illini, jNW, or Purdue fan when the Nebraska fan base is outraged that the Huskers lost to your team. It really should be fans of those teams and the announcers making a bigger deal about a loss to Nebraska. Nebraska has been mediocre to bad for a long time.

It is pretty insulting as a Gopher, Illini, jNW, or Purdue fan when the Nebraska fan base is outraged that the Huskers lost to your team. It really should be fans of those teams and the announcers making a bigger deal about a loss to Nebraska. Nebraska has been mediocre to bad for a long time.
We should always respect them as they could definitely come in and knock us off (they were favored to win the game!) But we don't fear them or worry about them, that's for sure. I would tell them the better team won. Get over it!!!

Especially considering that we have been the dominant team in our series against Illinois, Purdue and Nebraska for the last 5 years

Smokey Joe wasn't really that bad of a coach. He finished as high as 5th in the Big Ten in 1980 and they were ranked at #20 in 1982 before the wheels fell off the cart and half the team was injured. He had an excellent OC in Mike Shanahan who ran a very cool run and shoot offense with Mike Hohensee as their QB and they had a huge upset over OSU in 1981 where Ho threw for like 444 yards.

The thing you have got to remember about Joe Salem is he had absolutely NO HELP from the higher ups at the U of M and they did their best to downplay and downgrade any kind of help for athletics. Salem couldn't afford to keep his staff and his facilities and weight rooms were horrible. They tried to make the Metro Dome sound like a football palace which it certainly wasn't because it was all he really had.

Spot on and thank you for posting this. Joe Salem began with a pretty good staff, which soon dwindled because there wasn’t money to retain them or to hire very good replacements.

The facilities were horrendous and mostly housed in Memorial Stadium. They watched game film in the hallway. The weight room was small with very old and often mismatched weights (same weight different size).

And Memorial stadium needed millions of dollars to update the stadium both inside and out.

I don’t blame Paul Giel, the AD at the time. There just wasn’t any interest from the President or Regents to invest in football or any sports.

If Frost is fired, does PJ consider him for an OC position upgrade?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!
No way. Frost wouldn't last long at all. Frost wouldn't consider coming here anyway in my opinion.

Top Bottom