Scott Frost FIRED & Updates on Nebraska Coaching Search Thread

I just watched the Trev press conference and wasn’t impressed. He never did explain in a coherent way the reasoning for taking a match to $7.5M. Maybe too embarrassed to appear cheap. Too funny. Burn, Nebraska. Is pride a virtue or a vice.
It's for face-saving effect.

I just watched the Mickey Joseph introduction press conference for interim Nebraska HC.

..I don't think he will get the interim label pulled off due to his success.

It made me thankful of the leadership strength of our current head coach.

I was wondering if Trev Alberts secretly discovered a diamond in the rough who he feels would be an excellent candidate who just might need 5-9 games to inspire a team and lead them to wins. But having seen the press conference, I don't think it's that.

In other news, shocking that Nebraska never had a minority head coach throughout their program before. Definitely likely they won't have one in 3 months.

I just watched the Mickey Joseph introduction press conference for interim Nebraska HC.

..I don't think he will get the interim label pulled off due to his success.

It made me thankful of the leadership strength of our current head coach.

I was wondering if Trev Alberts secretly discovered a diamond in the rough who he feels would be an excellent candidate who just might need 5-9 games to inspire a team and lead them to wins. But having seen the press conference, I don't think it's that.

In other news, shocking that Nebraska never had a minority head coach throughout their program before. Definitely likely they won't have one in 3 months.
Who should they hire?

In perusing Twitter last night... the internal "stories" are now coming out of the woodwork regarding how bad Frost was. I have no idea which, if any, of these stories are legit. But, I do recall hearing the "drinks a lot and shows up late to practice" rumor as early as last year.

A particularly specific one that I read last night was the golf team had complained because Frost and his buddies would dominate the golf simulator on a regular basis. Other rumors about playing video games all the time, late for practice a lot, more drinking rumors, too hung over to meet with recruits, etc.

If even half of these rumors are true, Nebraska will be immediately better even with an interim coach.

In perusing Twitter last night... the internal "stories" are now coming out of the woodwork regarding how bad Frost was. I have no idea which, if any, of these stories are legit. But, I do recall hearing the "drinks a lot and shows up late to practice" rumor as early as last year.

A particularly specific one that I read last night was the golf team had complained because Frost and his buddies would dominate the golf simulator on a regular basis. Other rumors about playing video games all the time, late for practice a lot, more drinking rumors, too hung over to meet with recruits, etc.

If even half of these rumors are true, Nebraska will be immediately better even with an interim coach.

I saw the same thing and a few things came to mind. If any of them are true, it makes sense why they let him go now and didn't want to wait 3 more weeks. But if they were true last year, why didn't they just fire him after last season?

Also if they are true, will they pursue firing him for cause and not having to pay the buyout? I don't really think they would do that to one of their own, but you never know.

Still blows my mind that they fired Solich.
They were coming off the glory years, and had some embarrassing losses in major bowl games.

He tried to scapegoat the defense and canned Bohl. Didn't work.

The brain-trust thought that bringing the offense into modern football would do the trick, and hired Callahan from the NFL. It did not the do the trick.

Also if they are true, will they pursue firing him for cause and not having to pay the buyout? I don't really think they would do that to one of their own, but you never know.
The AD has already said that they are paying him the full buyout.

The rumors of Frost's drinking and picking young women up in a bar were more than rumors because his wife took their young child back to FL with her months ago.
I do not know if they are divorced.
Frost had hubris and entitlement, both of which were portrayed as fatal flaws in Greek tragedies and in Shakespeare's plays.
I am very curious whom they eventually hire.
Years ago the new AD from Pittsburgh fired the NE FB coach thinking he had a replacement. The replacement fell through and the AD found out it was hard to find a HC that wanted to come to NE. That is how they ended up with Callahan.

Frost having one night of poor decision making, in the off season, doesn't make that boatload of Twitter talk anywhere near true

I'll throw out a potential name that I haven't heard mentioned for the Nebraska job, Kalen DeBoer. It's only his first year at Washington, but he and much of his staff are from Sioux Falls/SD/IA area, and also have ties back to the B1G.

If Washington has a good year, and with the turmoil surrounding the future of the Pac-12, would he be interested in moving back close to home to coach the team that was dominant while he was growing up? He's only been on the west coast for 3 years. It'll also be interesting to see how Washington does against Michigan St this week.

I know, and it's almost a guarantee to happen. But if a bunch of bad things come out about Frost publicly that gives them an out, you never know.
The contract might have something in there about a scandal happening, etc. but I doubt anyone would have had the foresight to write something into the contract about "no showing up for practice late or hung over".

I know, and it's almost a guarantee to happen. But if a bunch of bad things come out about Frost publicly that gives them an out, you never know.
Yeah, short of uncovering criminal activity, in this case I think that you do know. What's Alberts going to say?

"I know I make a $1M a year as the Athletic Director here in Lincoln and was hired to restore Husker Nation to it's rightful place atop the college football world. And I know that I said that at Nebraska we pride ourselves on honoring our commitments and that we'd committed to Scott that we'd pay his full buyout. But since making those statements, it's come to my attention from reading Twitter that Scott had a drinking problem and was late for meetings and practices. I had no idea. So I am announcing today that we have decided to sue him to get some of the buyout money back. I'll be working with our attorneys on aggressively pursuing that that lawsuit, while at the same time waiting for Scott's lawyer to file a wrongful termination claim since, according to our lawyers, it now appears that we may have fired him because he's an alcoholic. The lawyers think that we will beat that claim, but who knows? You all thought we'd beat Georgia Southern, ha ha. Oh, and I will also simultaneously be leading the nationwide search to convince a top notch head coaching candidate that this is the place he wants to be."

Jim Leonhard wants to be Wisconsin's next head coach. That guy isn't leaving, he doesn't need a big pay day. If Wiscomsin keeps losing this will happen as soon as next year.
Yet you’ll probably also say that fleck is leaving

If I was Nebraska, I'd hire Campbell.

From Yahoo! Sports, for what it’s worth:

Generally I feel like the rumor mill is a bunch of knowledge generally but not specific knowledge. In 2-4 weeks the rumor mill will die down. Then in late October-November I will start thinking some of the smoke might be due to fire. For now any casual fan in the country could write a “top X candidates” column with equal information

I grew up with the internet. I’ve seen and read some pretty deranged stuff. But this final page of a Scott Frost book featuring some insane fan fiction fantasy…is well…just read it.

I grew up with the internet. I’ve seen and read some pretty deranged stuff. But this final page of a Scott Frost book featuring some insane fan fiction fantasy…is well…just read it.
I saw that. It is basically a "how to" manual for Husker off season dreams. They go through this every spring/summer. They are nothing if not consistent. If it doesn't happen, explain how it will happen. If it still doesn't happen, dream how it will happen.

I picture the writers simply saying "Let's just throw out a fantasy, they'll love it."

for some reason, the "golf simulator" stuff strikes me as funny - but also plausible. that is not the kind of thing someone just invents. but again, the notion that the Golf team members were complaining that they couldn't use the simulator because the Head Football coach was hogging it just makes me chortle.

and - if true - it suggests someone with a greatly expanded sense of self-importance. which does seem to ring true in this case.

for some reason, the "golf simulator" stuff strikes me as funny - but also plausible. that is not the kind of thing someone just invents. but again, the notion that the Golf team members were complaining that they couldn't use the simulator because the Head Football coach was hogging it just makes me chortle.

and - if true - it suggests someone with a greatly expanded sense of self-importance. which does seem to ring true in this case.
Been quite a spell since I've seen someone use chortle in a sentance...(y)

I saw that. It is basically a "how to" manual for Husker off season dreams. They go through this every spring/summer. They are nothing if not consistent. If it doesn't happen, explain how it will happen. If it still doesn't happen, dream how it will happen.

I picture the writers simply saying "Let's just throw out a fantasy, they'll love it."
Serenity now, insanity later....

This is amazing

The rumors of Frost's drinking and picking young women up in a bar were more than rumors because his wife took their young child back to FL with her months ago.
I do not know if they are divorced.
Frost had hubris and entitlement, both of which were portrayed as fatal flaws in Greek tragedies and in Shakespeare's plays.
I am very curious whom they eventually hire.
Years ago the new AD from Pittsburgh fired the NE FB coach thinking he had a replacement. The replacement fell through and the AD found out it was hard to find a HC that wanted to come to NE. That is how they ended up with Callahan.
They sold their Florida house years ago.

Why would Campbell move to that dumpster fire? He is already paid well and is basically a King at Ames right now. Why make a lateral move to try and restore a program with unreasonable expectations? Not worth the headache.

Because it's not a lateral move

Top Bottom