Scott Frost FIRED & Updates on Nebraska Coaching Search Thread

“We'll stop talking about championships or stop talking about things we used to do," he (Alberts) said. "We'll just get really process oriented, detail oriented and ultimately, when you start doing those fundamental championship habit-type things, those types of wins follow.”

Their AD said they’ll stop talking about championships and in the same breath brought up championships…incredible.
I think he is in job saving mode after the Frost disaster.

“We'll stop talking about championships or stop talking about things we used to do," he (Alberts) said. "We'll just get really process oriented, detail oriented and ultimately, when you start doing those fundamental championship habit-type things, those types of wins follow.”

Their AD said they’ll stop talking about championships and in the same breath brought up championships…incredible.

I think this is the right path though .... even if inconsistent ;)

Nebraska isn't going to get better because of "Nebraska" or Tom Osborne or all the fanfare about teams that aren't on the field, or dragging out old players or whatever. Bring those guys out at half time.

The new team needs to work to establish their place and earn whatever it is they're going to earn.

The Nebraska teams for years look uninspired, down on themselves, and along side is this wonky adoration of the program and I wonder how disconnected the players feel too.

I think this is the right path though .... even if inconsistent ;)

Nebraska isn't going to get better because of "Nebraska" or Tom Osborne or all the fanfare about teams that aren't on the field, or dragging out old players or whatever. Bring those guys out at half time.

The new team needs to work to establish their place and earn whatever it is they're going to earn.

The Nebraska teams for years look uninspired, down on themselves, and along side is this wonky adoration of the program and I wonder how disconnected the players feel too.
Their fans will learn to lower expectations because anyone under 30 hasn’t seen the amazing success. Like young fans of the gophers haven’t seen the horrible lows because Kill/Claeys/Fleck have made bowl games a standard. Just takes time.

Pretty obvious Frost was on Double Secret Probation coming into the season. I was surprised after the On Sides Kick debacle in Ireland against Northwestern he was not sacked somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean.

After that, the only path that was going to save him until October (much less the season) were a couple of beatdowns against North Dakota/Ga Southern and a respectable showing against the Sooners. Kind of shows the Husker hubris, that they thought they would just waltz over North Dakota by not scheduling an off week following the Dublin trip.

He did not make it to Oklahoma. I almost wonder if they did not want to even give him the chance to build momentum forcing to keep him longer, by somehow managing to pull an upset.

You would think a public university could wait less than 3 weeks to save $7.5 million!

Although, I’m sure Biden will be covering it for them with student loan forgiveness!

When does Trev Albert get on the hot seat?
He better make a good pick!

You would think a public university could wait less than 3 weeks to save $7.5 million!

Although, I’m sure Biden will be covering it for them with student loan forgiveness!

It was a really stupid contract provision to begin with. Lowering the buy out amount mid-season? Crazy. The clock was ticking the moment Northwestern recovered the on-side kick.

Was it the loss to Georgia Southern or the fact that NW lost to Duke which got Frost fired?

I think Wisconsin is smart enough to keep him around until they are done with Chryst, and that may be as soon as this season is over.

The top 3 names for Nebraska should be Campbell, Klieman, and Leipold. With conference re-alignment, the B1G is a step up from the Big 12. All three would bring them back to the 8-9 win baseline where Pelini had them. I'm not sure any of them are better than that, but it's a start.
I agree; those are the 3 best names that seem realistic to me. My money would be on Klieman.

Their fans will learn to lower expectations because anyone under 30 hasn’t seen the amazing success. Like young fans of the gophers haven’t seen the horrible lows because Kill/Claeys/Fleck have made bowl games a standard. Just takes time.
What is funny is most Neb fans I find are pretty level headed.

I think it's the loud folks and some boosters who are out of their tree.

Nebraska is one of the worst HC jobs in the nation -- for starters, you have to live in Nebraska, try to talk recruits into also come live in Nebraska (at least for four years), and a fan base that expects 10+ wins a season. I don't see how Nebraska is going to compete in the B1G West (whatever it ends up being with USC and UCLA added to the mix).

I don't care how bad Frost is - that is a monumentally bad decision. Even if this "gets the monkey off their back", what's the ceiling? 6 wins and a bowl appearance? Is that worth $7.5mil? Some people act like NE boosters can just write checks for whatever amount they want. Sure, the rich live in a different world, but outside of a handful of people, money is finite. You wait 3 weeks and then you have $7.5 mil more to throw at the next coach or in NIL money to get better players. Just dumb.

I don't care how bad Frost is - that is a monumentally bad decision. Even if this "gets the monkey off their back", what's the ceiling? 6 wins and a bowl appearance? Is that worth $7.5mil? Some people act like NE boosters can just write checks for whatever amount they want. Sure, the rich live in a different world, but outside of a handful of people, money is finite. You wait 3 weeks and then you have $7.5 mil more to throw at the next coach or in NIL money to get better players. Just dumb.

Not my idea, but a couple people have expressed the idea that if Frost's Cornhuskers had put on a good performance against Oklahoma on Saturday or, against all odds, actually beat the Sooners, it would be very difficult to fire him.

He could then follow it up by beating Indiana on 10/1, making the firing decision very tough to follow through with.

Panthadad's theory:

Nebraska: "we owe you $15m per this legally binding contract if we fire you today. Will you take less if we fire you today?"

Scott Frost: "OK."
Normally, I'd agree but we essentially did that with Richard Pitino. "We'd like to fire you. Would you mind finding another job instead so we don't have to pay you?" "OK."

Nebraska is one of the worst HC jobs in the nation -- for starters, you have to live in Nebraska, try to talk recruits into also come live in Nebraska (at least for four years), and a fan base that expects 10+ wins a season. I don't see how Nebraska is going to compete in the B1G West (whatever it ends up being with USC and UCLA added to the mix).
Give the next HC a hybrid work environment.

They paid Georgia Southern $1.4+ to beat them in their crib.

I see why $7.5 isn’t that big of a deal!

Figured I'd share some data on how Frost's tenure compared to the other Nebraska coaches since the 90s:

Solich
  • 6 seasons,
  • 59-19 record
  • 1 conference title
  • 3 division titles
  • 5 ranked finishes
  • 6 bowl berths
  • 2 bowl wins
  • 1 national title berth
  • 5 seasons with 8+ wins
Callahan
  • 4 seasons
  • 27-22 record
  • 1 division title
  • 1 ranked finish
  • 2 bowl berths
  • 1 bowl win
  • 2 seasons with 8+ wins
Pelini
  • 7 seasons
  • 62-27 record
  • 4 division titles
  • 6 ranked finishes
  • 7 bowl berths
  • 3 bowl wins
  • 7 seasons with 8+ wins
Riley
  • 3 seasons
  • 19-19
  • 2 bowl berths
  • 1 bowl win
  • 1 season with 8+ wins
Frost
  • 4 seasons
  • 16-31 record
  • 0 division titles
  • 0 ranked finishes
  • 0 bowl berths
  • 0 seasons with 8+ wins

Pelini was mind boggling. Lots of hubris behind that move.

“Our crowd. What a bunch of fucking fair-weather fucking—they can all kiss my ass out the fucking door. 'Cause the day is fucking coming now. We'll see what they can do when I'm fucking gone. I'm so fucking pissed off.”

lol

“Our crowd. What a bunch of fucking fair-weather fucking—they can all kiss my ass out the fucking door. 'Cause the day is fucking coming now. We'll see what they can do when I'm fucking gone. I'm so fucking pissed off.”

lol
This is why he was fired. Stuff like that.

However, the man was correct.

Came across this nugget over at HuskerMax...don't think we'll have any concerns for Coach Fleck defecting if Husker Nation has a say in it...although do give credit to the 27% who said yes...

1663036957940.png

P.S. See that Formo is still out there too...

Last edited:

They paid Georgia Southern $1.4+ to beat them in their crib.

I see why $7.5 isn’t that big of a deal!

I just watched the Trev press conference and wasn’t impressed. He never did explain in a coherent way the reasoning for taking a match to $7.5M. Maybe too embarrassed to appear cheap. Too funny. Burn, Nebraska. Is pride a virtue or a vice.

Top Bottom