Scott Frost FIRED & Updates on Nebraska Coaching Search Thread

So much for all the theories.

I also think it might be a bad look to other candidates to have Neb try to weasel out of the whole amount and threaten to "NOT" fire him ... but he be dead man walking...

One of those things that if you negotiate, no matter how well meaning, it looks like you are trying to change the deal after the whole deal is over. Next coach might see their offer and think "yeah but later are they going to demand I re-negotiate?"

In the land of CFB where outside of serious issues you pay it all out... trying not to is wonky.
You were right and I was wrong. Surprised but wrong.

Not sure if already posted but their interim coach becomes the first black head coach at Nebraska…in any sport…ever.

Star Tribune story incoming.

Stoops will never leave Kentucky. He gets an automatic 1 year extension for winning 7 games, 2 for 10 games. With increases. It's the best contract for a team who's really just trying to get to basketball season.
This is going to age poorly

There's a decent chance Stoops will be the next Hawkeye head coach.

Paid an extra $7m to get rid of him now! Must have been heavy pressure from big financial supporters plus loads of emails from fans. What a blow to Frost - the humiliation of being fired during a season, in fact at the beginning. He was the savior from Oregon and CFU who had deep roots in NE football's glory years - very heavy emotional investment in him, but his CFU crew couldn't make their formula work in the rugged B10. The irony is that NE will probably have a winning season. Makes the Oklahoma game Saturday a bit more interesting. Team down - or up for their lost coach?

Frost knew that his time as the Huskers head coach was through. And they're going to get throttled next Saturday against Oklahoma. Frost probably requested to be fired now instead of waiting until October 1st so he didn't have to deal with another few weeks of dreadful football and booing fans. \

The question now is......does UCF reclaim their National Championship winning coach?

So much for all the theories.

I also think it might be a bad look to other candidates to have Neb try to weasel out of the whole amount and threaten to "NOT" fire him ... but he be dead man walking...

One of those things that if you negotiate, no matter how well meaning, it looks like you are trying to change the deal after the whole deal is over. Next coach might see their offer and think "yeah but later are they going to demand I re-negotiate?"

In the land of CFB where outside of serious issues you pay it all out... trying not to is wonky.

Here's one conspiracy theory - what if Frost threw the games on purpose to do so badly they had to sack him fast and get him the full $15M. Not likely of course, but it's hard to ignore his team's aggressively bad performance got him $2.5M per game this year.

P.J was mentioned on the internet but then what can you believe. For my money it is either Campbell or Urban. Either one will be a nightmare for the B1G West.

P.J was mentioned on the internet but then what can you believe. For my money it is either Campbell or Urban. Either one will be a nightmare for the B1G West.
PJs not going to Nebraska, although it would be a good fit for his Farmer`s Alliance.

Here's one conspiracy theory - what if Frost threw the games on purpose to do so badly they had to sack him fast and get him the full $15M. Not likely of course, but it's hard to ignore his team's aggressively bad performance got him $2.5M per game this year.
I don’t think a lot about Frost as a HC but… I think he is a competitor. I can’t imagine him not playing to win.

Would be a pretty dumb strategy considering his buyout was larger before he negotiated this contract

My money is on Jim Leonhard.

I think Wisconsin is smart enough to keep him around until they are done with Chryst, and that may be as soon as this season is over.

The top 3 names for Nebraska should be Campbell, Klieman, and Leipold. With conference re-alignment, the B1G is a step up from the Big 12. All three would bring them back to the 8-9 win baseline where Pelini had them. I'm not sure any of them are better than that, but it's a start.

I think Wisconsin is smart enough to keep him around until they are done with Chryst, and that may be as soon as this season is over.

The top 3 names for Nebraska should be Campbell, Klieman, and Leipold. With conference re-alignment, the B1G is a step up from the Big 12. All three would bring them back to the 8-9 win baseline where Pelini had them. I'm not sure any of them are better than that, but it's a start.

Bison coach Entz mentioned as possibility to replace Scott Frost at Nebraska​

He would probably get them back to 8 wins a season.
Sorry for cherry picking his career at the FBS level in its entirety

I don’t think cherry picking means what you think it means

The OP said Jerry would get them back to 8 wins a season. He didn't say he would walk in and win 8 games a season from day one. By looking at his career in its entirety you are choosing an irrelevant sample set to prove your point. Is Kill not winning 8 games in his first two seasons at Northern Illinois or Minnesota relevant to whether he'd be able to get Nebraska back to 8 wins a season -- no because no one in their right mind would have expected anyone to win 8 games in those seasons with those teams.

You are right that I didn't use the right term. You didn't cherry pick because that would mean you ignored the germane information -- you too broadly picked your sample set instead of too narrowly picking.

Someone on the wisconsin board say there would be no way they would "Pelini" Chryst in favor of Leonard. The problem with that thinking is that to "Pelini" or "Mason" someone means you don't have the right guy in mind and hire Mike Riley. They absolutely need to make Leonard their head coach because he is the true value add on that staff.

Someone on the wisconsin board say there would be no way they would "Pelini" Chryst in favor of Leonard. The problem with that thinking is that to "Pelini" or "Mason" someone means you don't have the right guy in mind and hire Mike Riley. They absolutely need to make Leonard their head coach because he is the true value add on that staff.

Nebraska needs to make Leonard their head coach or Wisconsin? If Wisconsin fails to win the west this season, it will be their worst 3 year run in nearly 20 years.

Nebraska needs to make Leonard their head coach or Wisconsin? If Wisconsin fails to win the west this season, it will be their worst 3 year run in nearly 20 years.
I was referring your first paragraph about keeping Leonhard around. I think even with 8 wins Wisconsin should move on from Chryst for Leonhard.

I heard Frost threw up 10 times when he got the news.

Interesting comment from Trev Alberts - hinting at possible changes under the interim coach.
Maybe changes that Frost was unwilling to make?

will have to watch to see what that means for future opponents, including the Gophers.

"I won't meddle in Mickey's decision-making process," Alberts said. "I encouraged Mickey to be the head coach and make decisions as the head coach. There'll be some structural changes and things that I think Mickey believes in."

Alberts didn't elaborate on what changes Joseph would make. Joseph is scheduled to meet with reporters on Tuesday.

Like Frost, he is a former Nebraska quarterback, having played from 1988-91. Joseph returned to Nebraska as wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator after coaching receivers at LSU from 2017-21. He also was LSU's assistant head coach his last two seasons there.

Interesting comment from Trev Alberts - hinting at possible changes under the interim coach.
Maybe changes that Frost was unwilling to make?

will have to watch to see what that means for future opponents, including the Gophers.

"I won't meddle in Mickey's decision-making process," Alberts said. "I encouraged Mickey to be the head coach and make decisions as the head coach. There'll be some structural changes and things that I think Mickey believes in."

Alberts didn't elaborate on what changes Joseph would make. Joseph is scheduled to meet with reporters on Tuesday.

Like Frost, he is a former Nebraska quarterback, having played from 1988-91. Joseph returned to Nebraska as wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator after coaching receivers at LSU from 2017-21. He also was LSU's assistant head coach his last two seasons there.
He probably needs to make changes to keep his job.

Top Bottom