Scorched Earth...Penn State Edition

DougMN

Reaction score
After every loss, you can come on Gopherhole and see the scorched earth- but this one felt different to me. I need to vent...feel free to tear me a new one. I am sure some will. BUT....

I'm not buying it anymore. Look at Northwestern, Wisconsin, Iowa...competitive and have been right up in the mix for a Big Ten Title - even if they haven't won it. They have down years (at least Northwestern and Iowa do), but come back. This was supposed to be the year for the Gophers. Weak schedule, Senior QB, good HB's, good recruiting classes starting to pay off. I had no delusions of a Big Ten Title- but could we at least finish Top 3 in the West? It's bad enough we inflate our win total (like everyone does) and then only have to beat 2 or 3 B1G teams to have a 'successful' season. I saw the Charlie Brown analogy on another thread and it's 100% accurate. I'm tired of being the Charlie Brown's of the Big Ten.

I don't normally get upset at losses- Vikings, Gophers, Wild, T-Wolves- even Twins. You better have some thick skin to be a Minnesota sports fan. But for some reason, this lost against a bad PSU team has stuck in my head more than any loss since 2003 Michigan-Minnesota. I know that's ridiculous, too. Seeing a smiling Limegrover holding that stupid Bell made me snap. After years and years of having the football pulled away- it's really starting to wear me down.

And if your response, which would be typical on here, is "Good- we don't need you"- guess what...the Athletic Department does. I've been a Season Ticket holder for many years. I haven't missed a Home game in 6 years. I am waiting at 7AM for the tailgate lot to open every week during Home games with my group of friends. I travel to Away games. I vocally support the team at work, with friends and I've brain-washed my kids to be Gopher fans. I am the fan that simply writes my check during ticket renewal without even thinking about it. I don't expect a 'pay-off' every year. Heck- even every 5 years. The little success we felt in 2014 was amazing and completely inflated my expectations. And I know if you are a Gopher fan that only 'gets' something out of it if they win- you are doing it for the wrong reasons. But it's getting old. I'm trying to hang in there, but it's getting harder and harder.

I was more upset after this loss, too. There's still hope for a good season; in our Citrus Bowl year, we lost to Illinois. But we also beat Iowa, Northwestern and Nebraska. IF we do that this year, we'll all be happy.

The thing that bothered me about this loss was the way it happened. People regularly compare Kill/Claeys to the Mason era. "We're back to the Mason level." The thing that I have liked out of Kill/Claeys is that they have avoided the Mason-like meltdowns and awful defense. But what we saw Saturday had Mason written all over it.

It's one game, and we'll forget all about it if we beat Iowa and go on to run off four wins in a row. Today, it doesn't feel like that's possible. But college football has a way of surprising you.

Step away from the ledge. It's one loss, on the road, in overtime, against a favored opponent, it's hardly a program defining loss. It's a process, brick by brick, it may be taking longer than some had hoped for, but the program on the whole is still trending in the right direction.

Step away from the ledge. It's one loss, on the road, in overtime, against a favored opponent, it's hardly a program defining loss. It's a process, brick by brick, it may be taking longer than some had hoped for, but the program on the whole is still trending in the right direction.

I would say this defense is trending downward....Even at full strength, it's one of the worst in the Big 14....I envisioned under Claeys that at least this aspect would be solid.

I've seen a number of people post this and use it as an excuse. The fact that a bad Penn St team was favored, shows that the Gophers are not thought of as a good team.

The Iowa game is really the must win game of the season for the Gophers. Win this week and take the pig home, and everyone will feel better. Lose and it's time to start thinking about the next direction for this program.

I've seen a number of people post this and use it as an excuse. The fact that a bad Penn St team was favored, shows that the Gophers are not thought of as a good team.
Or it means they were playing on the road in front of 100K fans against a P5 conference team.

I'm with Doug on this one.

A lot of road wins, when we're the underdog, have a different feeling...that it really is an upset and surprising. I was calm and confident through most of the game. I fully expected the win on the road. This was a different kind of punch in the balls.

After every loss, you can come on Gopherhole and see the scorched earth- but this one felt different to me. I need to vent...feel free to tear me a new one. I am sure some will. BUT....

I'm not buying it anymore. Look at Northwestern, Wisconsin, Iowa...competitive and have been right up in the mix for a Big Ten Title - even if they haven't won it. They have down years (at least Northwestern and Iowa do), but come back. This was supposed to be the year for the Gophers. Weak schedule, Senior QB, good HB's, good recruiting classes starting to pay off. I had no delusions of a Big Ten Title- but could we at least finish Top 3 in the West? It's bad enough we inflate our win total (like everyone does) and then only have to beat 2 or 3 B1G teams to have a 'successful' season. I saw the Charlie Brown analogy on another thread and it's 100% accurate. I'm tired of being the Charlie Brown's of the Big Ten.

I don't normally get upset at losses- Vikings, Gophers, Wild, T-Wolves- even Twins. You better have some thick skin to be a Minnesota sports fan. But for some reason, this lost against a bad PSU team has stuck in my head more than any loss since 2003 Michigan-Minnesota. I know that's ridiculous, too. Seeing a smiling Limegrover holding that stupid Bell made me snap. After years and years of having the football pulled away- it's really starting to wear me down.

And if your response, which would be typical on here, is "Good- we don't need you"- guess what...the Athletic Department does. I've been a Season Ticket holder for many years. I haven't missed a Home game in 6 years. I am waiting at 7AM for the tailgate lot to open every week during Home games with my group of friends. I travel to Away games. I vocally support the team at work, with friends and I've brain-washed my kids to be Gopher fans. I am the fan that simply writes my check during ticket renewal without even thinking about it. I don't expect a 'pay-off' every year. Heck- even every 5 years. The little success we felt in 2014 was amazing and completely inflated my expectations. And I know if you are a Gopher fan that only 'gets' something out of it if they win- you are doing it for the wrong reasons. But it's getting old. I'm trying to hang in there, but it's getting harder and harder.

I was upset about seeing this loss, but you know what by Sunday I had come to the realization that this team isn't in the outhouse like past ones would be. They got up the Gophers, which looked like we should have been steam rolling Penn State. Then Penn State hit that bomb and the bad tackle and the momentum swung and the 17 unanswered points by Penn State that looked like we were almost done. The Gophers rallied back to take the lead in the last minute and played really hard in that fourth quarter. I re-watched the game and the Gophers did a lot of good things in the football game except the finish. This team is still learning how to win and to finish. This is not like past Gopher teams and they don't need to carry that baggage with them. This Gophers team is a talented football team.

In some ways I feel like Penn State players were playing for their coach and rallied around him a little bit to put forth the extra effort and oomph that the Penn State QB did. You could see it in the pre-game, Franklin was more animated and emotional than we have ever seen him on TV.
We need that this week from the Gophers coaches and players. I'm already hearing a lot of rumblings about Tracey Claey's being in over his head and not a Big 10 level coach from fans. I do not believe that, I think he is more than capable, and that we need to pull the gloves off a little bit on the play book on offense. If the Gophers players like the head coach and the coaches then they need to play with the kind of emotion Penn State had and rally for the coach. It's Pig week it is time to get some bacon and get after the Iowa Hawkeyes. This is a better Gophers 3-1 team then past patsy beating non-conference Gophers teams. We can and will see the Gophers get better each week.

I've watched Iowa in 3 of their games. Two things stand out---Northwestern sacked the QB 4 times without blitzing, just the front 4. NDSU 3 sacks from the front 4 and crappy Rutgers 2 sacks and 2 hurries from the front 4. Where are we with our front 4 without Devers? If he can't play because of injury, will we get any sacks or even hurries? Without sacks and hurries, our average- at best - secondary will have their work cut out for them. Secondly, the Iowa QB is a much better runner than Penn State, will we have a spy?

I'm with Doug on this one.

A lot of road wins, when we're the underdog, have a different feeling...that it really is an upset and surprising. I was calm and confident through most of the game. I fully expected the win on the road. This was a different kind of punch in the balls.

I also had a different feeling about this loss. I agree with a lot of what people have said on here - been really disappointed in the defense this year, expected to hold on to the lead, feels like a Mason loss, etc.

Now, if they go out and beat Iowa next week, this game will have a different feel. But now there's a sense of foreboding (probably over-dramatic phrasing) that if they drop the Iowa game does that spell doom for the season...

Taking a step back, the Lions were favored and the Gophers were expected to lose and still end up with 7-8 wins going by Sagarin ratings. If they still end up with 7-8 wins I don't think I'll be too disappointed, other than I sure hope they don't end the season with an empty trophy case...

dpodoll68 said:
Good - we don't need you.

Now that's the tough love I need. I knew the resident 'Biggest A**hole on the Forum' would sniff this out in mere minutes and do his best-

dog-scoot-o.gif

I agree this game itself is not program defining. But haven't losses like this come to define the program? This one makes me wonder since the first time Kill and his staff got here that maybe we aren't trending in the right direction. An Iowa beatdown would sure cure a lot.

Look - I'm not suggesting that anyone should be happy with a loss. I'm as disappointed as the next person.

But, this site just drives me nuts with the bi-polar mood swings. After a victory, everything is wonderful. After a loss, it's the end of the world, and the future of the program is doomed. Same thing with recruiting - on signing day, come on here and read the comments, and you would think the Gophers just signed the greatest class in world history. But, after a loss, you would think the entire roster is made up of walk-ons who were student managers on their high school teams.

Again, I realize people are upset after a loss. I'm just asking for a little perspective. the doom-and-gloom on here after a loss is just bleepin' depressing.

This loss hurts because we played well for the most part, and certainly good enough to win. I don't know why playing well and good enough to win, but losing, is worse than not playing well and not deserving to win? But it seems to be for most people.
The good: we are a pretty good team, with a lot of potential
The bad: we lost

Hang up your gopher fandom if you must, but it seems pretty ridiculous to me.

This loss hurts because we played well for the most part, and certainly good enough to win. I don't know why playing well and good enough to win, but losing, is worse than not playing well and not deserving to win? But it seems to be for most people.
The good: we are a pretty good team, with a lot of potential
The bad: we lost

Hang up your gopher fandom if you must, but it seems pretty ridiculous to me.

My expectations were very high for this year. I'm talking 10 Win high. This game should have been a win. The 'Kill/Claeys" system is now in full effect and this was the window where we don't have a Michigan, Michigan State or Ohio State on the schedule. This loss signified that this is going to be another 5-6 Win season which means 2-3 Conference Wins. For those of you that are remaining positive and finding Silver Lining in this- Hats off. But this was a BAD Penn State Team that was depleted on defense and has horrible coaching. I am guessing PSU wins 2 more games this year.

My expectations were very high for this year. I'm talking 10 Win high. This game should have been a win. The 'Kill/Claeys" system is now in full effect and this was the window where we don't have a Michigan, Michigan State or Ohio State on the schedule. This loss signified that this is going to be another 5-6 Win season which means 2-3 Conference Wins. For those of you that are remaining positive and finding Silver Lining in this- Hats off. But this was a BAD Penn State Team that was depleted on defense and has horrible coaching. I am guessing PSU wins 2 more games this year.

So one loss went from 10 wins to 5-6 for you. I hope you are not involved in coaching in anyway. Football is played game by game. To me this loss means that we are a 7-9 win team this year. This team looks to be competitive in most games which to me is 4-5 more wins. I'm hoping 7-0 at home and steal 1-2 on road. How is this accomplished? Fans need to show up and give the home team an advantage in the 4 remaining home games rather than stay home.

I think how the Iowa game turns out will tell the rest of the season. We win and we will be alright,we lose and throw the gasoline into the dumpster! See ya Saturday morning Doug��

Good - we don't need you.

No, they don't.

Ah , yes they do. The athletic department has fu-ked over long time season ticket holders. 18 ℅ plus drop in season tickets. For you to make a statement like that is plain stupidity. Sometimes you try to make a point just to " make a point" This one you pulled out of your ass.

In what world is Penn State a BAD football team? Because Michigan beat up on them? Michigan is beating up on everyone this year. Rutgers is bad, Purdue is bad, if Minnesota loses to either of them I'll be concerned, but a loss to Penn State doesn't deserve the hand wringing. Perhaps your expectations were just too high.

I was not aware the the recruiting classes were so stellar to warrant the optimism of a nine or ten win season no matter how easy the schedule is.
Quality depth is the most meaningful metric. Injuries happen to all FB teams. PennST is a perfect example.
It is obvious that quality depth is lacking at MN.
Injuries or suspensions to the front line players seem to result in inferior play.

I get where you are coming from but like others have said it was a tough loss to a team that still has a lot of young talent.

The bottom line is it has to be fun for you and your family. Hope it still is for you in the future and I feel confident this team will bounce back.

Ah , yes they do. The athletic department has fu-ked over long time season ticket holders. 18 ℅ plus drop in season tickets. For you to make a statement like that is plain stupidity. Sometimes you try to make a point just to " make a point" This one you pulled out of your ass.

Pretty sure the University of Minnesota Athletic Department will continue to exist without DougMN's gargantuan financial contributions.

In what world is Penn State a BAD football team? Because Michigan beat up on them? Michigan is beating up on everyone this year. Rutgers is bad, Purdue is bad, if Minnesota loses to either of them I'll be concerned, but a loss to Penn State doesn't deserve the hand wringing. Perhaps your expectations were just too high.

Penn State may not be a bad team but they have been decimated by injuries on defense. That was an extremely average Penn State team and the Gophers blew a great opportunity to get a Big Ten road win which is key if you want to contend for division and conference titles.

Penn State may not be a bad team but they have been decimated by injuries on defense. That was an extremely average Penn State team and the Gophers blew a great opportunity to get a Big Ten road win which is key if you want to contend for division and conference titles.
I don't disagree that it was a winnable game, and I am disappointed that they lost, but that's B1G football, you have a couple elite teams, a couple bad teams and a solid group in the middle where things can go either way on any given Saturday. As for injuries, both teams had them, I think that equaled out.

Look - I'm not suggesting that anyone should be happy with a loss. I'm as disappointed as the next person.

But, this site just drives me nuts with the bi-polar mood swings. After a victory, everything is wonderful. After a loss, it's the end of the world, and the future of the program is doomed. Same thing with recruiting - on signing day, come on here and read the comments, and you would think the Gophers just signed the greatest class in world history. But, after a loss, you would think the entire roster is made up of walk-ons who were student managers on their high school teams.

Again, I realize people are upset after a loss. I'm just asking for a little perspective. the doom-and-gloom on here after a loss is just bleepin' depressing.

This is the nature of football, what with one game per week. And, frankly, that emotional roller coaster is part of the fun. Point me to a fan base -- college or pro -- that acts differently, and I'll gladly check out their message board after a loss to verify that you're right.

I don't disagree that it was a winnable game, and I am disappointed that they lost, but that's B1G football, you have a couple elite teams, a couple bad teams and a solid group in the middle where things can go either way on any given Saturday. As for injuries, both teams had them, I think that equaled out.

This is probably the most reasonable post/thought I've seen on the topic. In the current Big Ten, you have Ohio St. and Michigan well above everyone else, Purdue and Rutgers well below, and the rest fairly packed together in the middle (one could make a case for Wisconsin and Nebraska as their own tier 2). Teams between 5 and 12 (where Minnesota and PSU both are) are packed together and anyone can beat anyone else on any given day. The home team has won the last two between PSU and Minnesota, and PSU was favored in this game. If that makes you (the royal you) want to put on a hairshirt, flagellate yourself, and give up your season tickets, fine, but take it somewhere else.

So one loss went from 10 wins to 5-6 for you. I hope you are not involved in coaching in anyway. Football is played game by game. To me this loss means that we are a 7-9 win team this year. This team looks to be competitive in most games which to me is 4-5 more wins. I'm hoping 7-0 at home and steal 1-2 on road. How is this accomplished? Fans need to show up and give the home team an advantage in the 4 remaining home games rather than stay home.

I do Coach. I'm not quite sure how my outlook on the Gopher/B1G TEN season translates into being a bad Coach though. You post on the Gopher Football Forum- you must hate the NFL. Is there a correlation? Prognosticators haven't spent much time breaking down my team and our opponents this year. I guess that's a benefit of Youth Football.

When is the last time we upset anyone? Nebraska in 2014, I think. Rutgers and Purdue are Wins. Maryland, Nebraska, Wisconsin are losses. That leaves Iowa, Illinois and Northwestern. I think we get 1 of those. That's 6 wins. If we had beat Penn State and proved we could win on the road in a tough environment- the Season outlook would be different.

Pretty sure the University of Minnesota Athletic Department will continue to exist without DougMN's gargantuan financial contributions.
I guess someone is not getting the big picture or overall concept here that it is applying to many season ticket, long term fans....

This is probably the most reasonable post/thought I've seen on the topic. In the current Big Ten, you have Ohio St. and Michigan well above everyone else, Purdue and Rutgers well below, and the rest fairly packed together in the middle (one could make a case for Wisconsin and Nebraska as their own tier 2). Teams between 5 and 12 (where Minnesota and PSU both are) are packed together and anyone can beat anyone else on any given day. The home team has won the last two between PSU and Minnesota, and PSU was favored in this game. If that makes you (the royal you) want to put on a hairshirt, flagellate yourself, and give up your season tickets, fine, but take it somewhere else.

Well...wherever it's taken- I'm sure you will have multiple comment's on it to put it in it's place. Your Maroon and Gold Glasses are admirable. But your anger and venom are very ugly. Send me a PM and I'll tell you where I tailgate. You can stop over for a beer Saturday morning.

Top Bottom