Scorched Earth...Iowa Edition

DougMN

Reaction score
I've been a Mitch defender this year- he had a bad game. I hope he can rebound next week and I expect him to. I'm not nearly as bothered by this loss as the Penn State loss. I did not expect to win this game and I thought the defense looked much better than last week. I'm not sure if that can be attributed to much better play OR...an Iowa offense with a QB that looked worse than Mitch.

Amazingly- I feel slightly better about the outlook this season. Wins in Maryland and Illinois became slightly more realistic.

All that nonsense being said- this game was a Turdfest with some of the worst play calling in the 2nd half that I can remember in a game ever. Brooks is starting to get it going and after getting some turnovers with less than 10 minutes left on the clock- we decide now is the time we MUST pass the ball. Both 3 and outs and barely any time off the clock. As bad a s Mitch was, play calling was the real reason the Gophers lost this game. :horse:

Mitch is a average passer at best. He is not going to throw the ball through the eye of a needle.
Iowa jammed our WR's and played press coverage. It really affected our receivers, especially Tyler Johnson who just not strong enough to break away from press coverage. Why Johnson threw ball 33 times is beyond me, especially when your top WR Lingen is out. The 3 JC offensive linemen have been average so far. If you watched the line play yesterday a lot of times Iowa was standing our guys up . Still, I would've kept pounding it because you have that chance of Brooks breaking a long run just like Watley did for Iowa.

Top Bottom