Sconnie continues to land refs that turn the blind eye

mjfelton15

Banned
Reaction score
I’m not blaming the refs for why we lost. I don’t think a loss should ever come down to a few bad and/or missed calls by refs. We lost to Wisconsin for plenty of other scheme and performance reasons.

BUT MAN OH MAN

blatant hold on that long play along our sideline. Ref stared the hold down the entire way. Wisconsin’s #61 had his arms hugging our damn lineman. Just totally let it slide. Huge play for them.

I counted A MINIMUM of 3 pass interference calls, including the one on Johnson when we failed to score from the 4 yard line. CB had both arms wrapped under Johnson’s armpits before the ball even got there, causing Johnson to totally bobble the ball and drop it immediately. Huge play.

But then we get all of these bullsh1t make up calls in garbage time. What an insult. And if that doesn’t prove to everyone that they know they helped in giving that game to Bucky, I don’t know what does.

Like I said, I don’t like griping about refs after losing as if they’re the reason we lost. But those damn refs didn’t call a fair game, and it didn’t help us whatsoever.

The worse calls were our play calls.
Forget the punt, forget running it on multiple third and longs.

Too much to ask, that in the biggest game in 60 years, we show something new, like I dunno, a pass to a RB or a TE, or a run with a WR, or passing out of the wildcat.

I still can’t believe how unimaginative and passive our offensive game plan was.

Too much to ask, that in the biggest game in 60 years, we show something new, like I dunno, a pass to a RB or a TE, or a run with a WR, or passing out of the wildcat.

I still can’t believe how unimaginative and passive our offensive game plan was.
like I said a couple times, I don’t blame the loss on the lack of penalty calls. I was just saying it was certainly not helpful for us. I agree the play calling was far too vanilla for a game with this much on the line.

The third and long runs look bad when they don’t work. They were trying to do something to counter the Badger blitzes, obviously didn’t work.

I’m not blaming the refs for why we lost. I don’t think a loss should ever come down to a few bad and/or missed calls by refs. We lost to Wisconsin for plenty of other scheme and performance reasons.

BUT MAN OH MAN

blatant hold on that long play along our sideline. Ref stared the hold down the entire way. Wisconsin’s #61 had his arms hugging our damn lineman. Just totally let it slide. Huge play for them.

I counted A MINIMUM of 3 pass interference calls, including the one on Johnson when we failed to score from the 4 yard line. CB had both arms wrapped under Johnson’s armpits before the ball even got there, causing Johnson to totally bobble the ball and drop it immediately. Huge play.

But then we get all of these bullsh1t make up calls in garbage time. What an insult. And if that doesn’t prove to everyone that they know they helped in giving that game to Bucky, I don’t know what does.

Like I said, I don’t like griping about refs after losing as if they’re the reason we lost. But those damn refs didn’t call a fair game, and it didn’t help us whatsoever.

The CBs were face guarding every time on the sideline go routes, which is legal, but seemed to be a lot of contact. They let it go every time which further hindered our offense trying to beat the blitzes.

Too bad about the weather. If they tried to face guard us that way on a normal day, we'd have shredded them to pieces with the pass.

It is what it is though.

Last edited:

Many of the deep plays where they held the Gopher receiver's arms down which prevented them from catching the ball. Autman-Bell deep ball where Freshman prevented him from raising his right arm was the worst.

But that is how they called it the whole game. You have to adjust! The slant was there for most of the game and we did have a lot of opportunities. Just couldn't capitalize on them.

Agreed on all counts, but it was obvious early in the game that the refs were gonna keep their flags in their pockets for the most part. As long as they do that both ways, I don't mind it. Definitely hurt MN though because our team is weaker upfront but more skilled outside. Oh well. Be ready for it next year and have a plan...

It also didn't help that Croan played the absolute game of his life. I have a couple of Wisconsin relatives and they couldn't believe how well he played. They were stunned.

Many of the deep plays where they held the Gopher receiver's arms down which prevented them from catching the ball. Autman-Bell deep ball where Freshman prevented him from raising his right arm was the worst.

But that is how they called it the whole game. You have to adjust! The slant was there for most of the game and we did have a lot of opportunities. Just couldn't capitalize on them.

That's like having an ump calling strikes on pitches that bounce before the plate and then blaming the batter for not swinging.

If a player has the "game of his life" at the end of the season it means his opposition for that game was very poor.

If a player has the "game of his life" at the end of the season it means his opposition for that game was very poor.

Your charming positivity since joining the board in October has been a joy.

I guess this is what we have to put up with with a program on the rise drawing more attention.
GopherHole is turning into another Star Tribune comment board.

Learned a long time ago to never get into the calls. There is no way to set aside a bias in a game your team is playing a team you hate. The officials are humans, just like the players and will make mistakes that happen in real time at full speed. Complaining about it will always sound like excuses that the losing fans bring up.

I thought that there could have been some PI calls, but there were no egregious misses. Probably should’ve gotten at least one on TJ, but wouldn’t have changed a thing. What horrible luck that both Stanley and Coan had the game of their lives against us ?.

We showed no imagination on offense but the two teams that beat us IA and WI modified their game plan to exploit some weaknesses (like the kick-off return) and mixed in some unique plays to keep us off balance. Fleck readily admits that our offense isn't creative - RPO. I love RPO for this team and it has worked well for this team but the two teams that beat us that everyone expected would stick w/ their bread n butter modified their game plan w/ great success. Not saying we did anything wrong, just that those two teams executed a plan to beat us.

It also didn't help that Croan played the absolute game of his life. I have a couple of Wisconsin relatives and they couldn't believe how well he played. They were stunned.

Going into the game he had completed 73% of his passes. He is not exactly chopped liver. Cephus is also a very good wide receiver.

Your charming positivity since joining the board in October has been a joy.

I guess this is what we have to put up with with a program on the rise drawing more attention.
GopherHole is turning into another Star Tribune comment board.

Your need for a "safe space" is pathetic. Plato is a troll. In a country with free speech at its absolute core, that is OK, if annoying. This site is worthless if every post must meet your standard of what is correct or acceptable. Be stronger than that.

The only call I was really upset about was the Badgers first offensive play they had in the 3rd quarter on the long pass when they were deep in their own territory. I thought it was an absolutely blatant push off by the WR. How a ref doesn't see that there's pretty close coverage, and then suddenly the WR is 5 yards away from the CB is beyond me, especially right at the point of attack.

Otherwise, maybe/maybe not on the other calls. Nothing else really bugged me other than what I thought should have been an OPI.

Their D-Line outplayed our D-Line. And credit to the Badgers O. I thought they were really good.

The only call I was really upset about was the Badgers first offensive play they had in the 3rd quarter on the long pass when they were deep in their own territory. I thought it was an absolutely blatant push off by the WR. How a ref doesn't see that there's pretty close coverage, and then suddenly the WR is 5 yards away from the CB is beyond me, especially right at the point of attack.

Otherwise, maybe/maybe not on the other calls. Nothing else really bugged me other than what I thought should have been an OPI.

Their D-Line outplayed our D-Line. And credit to the Badgers O. I thought they were really good.
The only other one I wasn't happy about was the first fade to Johnson. Looked like Johnson couldn't elevate as much as he wanted due to the defender grabbing him.

But WI was just more aggressive all night and deserved to win.

I know both teams played in the same weather but I think the Gophers could win this game if not played in slop. IMO it was a terrible match-up in this kind of weather for the Gophers. Wisconsin had to be thrilled when they saw the forecast.

The problem is that this stuff is interfering with my ability to enjoy the game. I have been an avid football fan since the Joe Kapp led Viking team hooked 13 year old me in 1968. In all the hundreds (thousands?) of pro and college games I have watched the first endzone incompletion when the Gophers turned it over on downs in the red zone gets flagged for PI maybe 30% of the time, and the second incompletion gets flagged 15% of the time. So, fine, neither was an egregious foul, let 'em play. BUT the fact that the same play COULD have been a penalty is so stupidly arbitrary it almost makes me question why I watch the games. And the annoying TV guy watches the replay and says "just good aggressive defense", unless the flag flew in which case he says "yep, he got there early, good call". I may be remembering wrong, but seems to me 30 years ago pretty much any contact would draw a flag and that level of consistency made for a better game.
And, those damn kids need to get off my lawn.

Top Bottom