Scoggins talks to four coaches anonymously about the Gophers job

Is anyone proposing a new arena guarantees wins?

What about just having nice things and keeping on level with the rest of the league?

Twolves got a nice arena renovation (and new practice facility downtown). Not like they earned that by winning a bunch of titles.
Perhaps not, but there is a whole segment of the population that seems to think not having new dogs is the biggest problem. It isn't. There are many more issues when it comes to this program than the Barn. And we do have nice things (a virtually brand new practice facility and athletes village for one) that haven't made a damn bit of difference so far.

If you looked at where Pitinos salary ranked compared to other B1G coaches it’s similar to his placement in B1G records, so you could say he w

If you looked at where Pitinos salary ranked compared to other B1G coaches it’s similar to his placement in B1G records, so you could say he was.
His salary per win makes him one of the most over paid coaches in conference history. Salary of 8th, average finish 10th.

His salary per win makes him one of the most over paid coaches in conference history. Salary of 8th, average finish 10th.
I forgot Howard took a low salary. I was thinking he was 10th ahead of Chambers and Pikiel

You’re right. Every kid loves the barn and considers it the best arena ever or they are an “idiot”. Good call...
You are a moron.
If you actually comprehended what I said, you'd grasp the stupidity of your comment. As it is, you seem incapable of grasping the point.
In football, Memorial Stadium was abandoned for the new and modern Metrodome. The stadium did nothing for bringing in better recruits. Anyone claiming Williams Arena is the reason top players don't come to UMN is just a moron and players who use that as a reason to not play at UMN are idiots.

You are a moron.
If you actually comprehended what I said, you'd grasp the stupidity of your comment. As it is, you seem incapable of grasping the point.
In football, Memorial Stadium was abandoned for the new and modern Metrodome. The stadium did nothing for bringing in better recruits. Anyone claiming Williams Arena is the reason top players don't come to UMN is just a moron and players who use that as a reason to not play at UMN are idiots.

Your responses seem to show lack of comprehension on your part. I never said it was the most important part. I never said it was a deal breaker in recruiting. I just said kids have no attachment to the barn (which is true), that it’s outdated (also true), and that it’s not set up to generate revenue (most important and true). Calm down dude. You are the one calling high school kids idiots.

The two games I attended at Kohl Center only reinforced my belief that we are fortunate to have the Barn.

Perhaps not, but there is a whole segment of the population that seems to think not having new dogs is the biggest problem. It isn't. There are many more issues when it comes to this program than the Barn. And we do have nice things (a virtually brand new practice facility and athletes village for one) that haven't made a damn bit of difference so far.
It doesn't guarantee anything, but it helps. To use the oft-cited Tony Bennett, UVa opened a new arena about 3 years before he was hired. The old one was a souless cookie cutter dump from the 60's.

Would he have come there without it? Maybe. But it was easier to convince him, I'm sure. Could he win without it? Probably, but I'm sure it helps.

He won at WSU ! But i know for a fact it helps. JPJ is miles nicer than the Kohl center, incredible facilities. People like nice things, they like winners.

Pitino has been here way too long. I still don't understand why he wasn't fired five years ago.

And I have a bad feeling he'll be back next year.

I'm sure you have those stats ready for all coaches.

Keep potshotting RP. Your wish is nearly complete.

Pitino has been here way too long. I still don't understand why he wasn't fired five years ago.

He already removed any mention of the University from his Twitter and bio. Not coming back. At all.

I heard from a friend of a friend's friend Pitino's back.

To each their own. I will take the few wins we get and the dignity. Plus there is a great chance that with the right coach we get a far better player than Mav.
I guess I missed the posts you congratulated RP on doing it clean and with dignity.

You didnt mention dignity once in your hundreds of posts citing conf recored.

FRAUD.

Your responses seem to show lack of comprehension on your part. I never said it was the most important part. I never said it was a deal breaker in recruiting. I just said kids have no attachment to the barn (which is true), that it’s outdated (also true), and that it’s not set up to generate revenue (most important and true). Calm down dude. You are the one calling high school kids idiots.
Again, you do not comprehend what I am saying.

The two games I attended at Kohl Center only reinforced my belief that we are fortunate to have the Barn.
Yes, the Kohl is a poorly designed mausoleum of marxist proportions. I went to a few boys state tournaments there and found it to be similar to the old St Paul Civic Center...except the Civic Center was nicer...

Yes, the Kohl is a poorly designed mausoleum of marxist proportions. I went to a few boys state tournaments there and found it to be similar to the old St Paul Civic Center...except the Civic Center was nicer...
Marxist! There's a lot of Atheist Commies around Madison, so not surprising.

Last edited:

Is it not possible to renovate Williams and a cool way, but keep some of the history as well? OR is it a tear down job?

Is it not possible to renovate Williams and a cool way, but keep some of the history as well? OR is it a tear down job?
I've seen plans to gut it and make it modern on the inside. One was a very expensive remodel which called for flattening the roof and cantilevering the sides over the roads adjacent.

Another was to gut it, Turn the floor 90 degrees and make a modern second deck on what is now the ends. This would allow for bigger Concessions and mezzanines and more bathrooms. Seating capacity would be reduced. Second deck would feel like it was over the court and would make it even louder.

Personally I'd tear it down. Rebuild the end brick work into the new building and move on.

It doesn't guarantee anything, but it helps. To use the oft-cited Tony Bennett, UVa opened a new arena about 3 years before he was hired. The old one was a souless cookie cutter dump from the 60's.

Would he have come there without it? Maybe. But it was easier to convince him, I'm sure. Could he win without it? Probably, but I'm sure it helps.
No doubt it helps. It simply won't be the magic elixir to fix everything that many seem to think it is.

There's a very small % of the posters who mention tearing down Williams and putting up a new arena.

I mentioned earlier, if anything does occur, start with the player experience. I found two videos.

One a tour of Williams Arena (i guess they did a locker room renovation, it does not look like a million dollar job)

One of Kohl Center Locker room.

I love my gophers, but I'll tell you, whoever was in charge of designing the Kohl Center Mens locker/room, video room, etc. did a MUCH better job.

Williams Area locker rooms feel so dark and lifeless.

Kohl Center locker rooms feel more alive and fresh/comfortable

If I'm a player choosing between the too and I think the coaches are on par with each other. I feel more comfortable in the Kohl center.

Top Bottom