Schooled:The Price of College Sports (student athlete or unpaid employees)

The question is: what is cost of attendance?

Cost of attendance does not include a big screen TV, XBOX, and dozens of video games.

The monthly expense check should cover weekend groceries, rent and an occasional night out.

Like DL says, its the athlete's money, it's up to them to budget and spend it wisely.

The question is: what is cost of attendance? Cost of attendance does not include a big screen TV, XBOX, and dozens of video games. The monthly expense check should cover weekend groceries, rent and an occasional night out. Like DL says, its the athlete's money, it's up to them to budget and spend it wisely.

The Big Ten Network is going to be paying each Big Ten School over forty million dollars annually and we r discussing if a player has a couple hundred dollars worth of video games in his dorm.

A free education isn't fair compensation anymore. The money generated by sports is getting so out of control that it is tipping the scale.

I watched about 20 minutes of it. It really doesn't change much in my view. My preferences for how this plays out in order:

1) Status quo, but add 1) ravel to and from campus for player and once a year for parents 2) medical and disability insurance for players after their career ends 3) a stipend equal to 20 hours a week at minimum wage (these guys can't work like other students)
2) Status quo - no changes
3) Shut it down / U of Chicago / Ivy League model
4) Cash compensation for athletes "pay for play"

If 4 happens I won't donate another dime to the U or my alma mater and I won't watch the sport.

I watched about 20 minutes of it. It really doesn't change much in my view. My preferences for how this plays out in order: 1) Status quo, but add 1) ravel to and from campus for player and once a year for parents 2) medical and disability insurance for players after their career ends 3) a stipend equal to 20 hours a week at minimum wage (these guys can't work like other students) 2) Status quo - no changes 3) Shut it down / U of Chicago / Ivy League model 4) Cash compensation for athletes "pay for play" If 4 happens I won't donate another dime to the U or my alma mater and I won't watch the sport.

Honest question, not trolling.

Does your enjoyment of college football depend on the athletes not being paid?

I think Costas sort of answered your question, 98.5 percent of the athletes will never receive an nfl contract. The educational aspect is a huge gift that Costas rightly points out most families scrimp and save and sacrifice (and take out loans) to provide.

For me the amateurism is very important. Many of these guys are receiving some sort of education (despite what the doc insinuates). The gross greed on display in the nfl turns me off. College football is far more inspiring and special on a lot of levels.

BTW I did go back and finish the doc. It is a classic propaganda piece, similar to what we can expect out of political operatives. One-sided and inflammatory showing some of the tragedies without the great good that has come out of collegiate football.

Take the profits, roll it into the educational missions and everyone's happy.

Shouldn't the athletes be leaning on the NFL to relax the 3 year rule?

Honest question, not trolling.

Does your enjoyment of college football depend on the athletes not being paid?

Not trying answer for Badgergopher, but I think a few things go into this. If college athletes are getting paid, it basically turns into minor league sports. Seems like it would just be easier to pressure the NFL and NBA into having legitimate minor leagues. Nobody seems too concerned about college hockey, baseball, or soccer players.
The other fear I think a lot of people have is as soon as you can pay athletes, the rich will only get richer. Minnesota can't compete with the paychecks that Ohio State can write. No, I'm not naive enough to think that some checks aren't already being written, but it would open the floodgates if you could pay players.

Honestly though, I do love the fact that these are amateur athletes with 99% of them playing for their love of the game (and a free ride to college) and NOT for a paycheck. That college education alone is worth $1.5 million more in lifetime earnings vs. a high school diploma (http://www.usnews.com/education/bes.../how-higher-education-affects-lifetime-salary).

If it did become minor league football I would definitely drop my season tickets. At that point I would rather focus on the Vikings.

Not trying answer for Badgergopher, but I think a few things go into this. If college athletes are getting paid, it basically turns into minor league sports. Seems like it would just be easier to pressure the NFL and NBA into having legitimate minor leagues. Nobody seems too concerned about college hockey, baseball, or soccer players.
The other fear I think a lot of people have is as soon as you can pay athletes, the rich will only get richer. Minnesota can't compete with the paychecks that Ohio State can write. No, I'm not naive enough to think that some checks aren't already being written, but it would open the floodgates if you could pay players.

Honestly though, I do love the fact that these are amateur athletes with 99% of them playing for their love of the game (and a free ride to college) and NOT for a paycheck. That college education alone is worth $1.5 million more in lifetime earnings vs. a high school diploma (http://www.usnews.com/education/bes.../how-higher-education-affects-lifetime-salary).

If it did become minor league football I would definitely drop my season tickets. At that point I would rather focus on the Vikings.

Word

I think Costas sort of answered your question, 98.5 percent of the athletes will never receive an nfl contract. The educational aspect is a huge gift that Costas rightly points out most families scrimp and save and sacrifice (and take out loans) to provide.

For me the amateurism is very important. Many of these guys are receiving some sort of education (despite what the doc insinuates). The gross greed on display in the nfl turns me off. College football is far more inspiring and special on a lot of levels.

BTW I did go back and finish the doc. It is a classic propaganda piece, similar to what we can expect out of political operatives. One-sided and inflammatory showing some of the tragedies without the great good that has come out of collegiate football.

Take the profits, roll it into the educational missions and everyone's happy.

Shouldn't the athletes be leaning on the NFL to relax the 3 year rule?

How do you separate the amateurism from the illegality and the false pretenses under which amateurism was championed?

Honest question, not trolling. Does your enjoyment of college football depend on the athletes not being paid?

I'd no longer think of it as college football if they were paid. I suppose if they were still students in good standing and the pay was nominal, equal across all players and schools like the stipend I mention above, I might remain a fan.

I don't mind the question either. I understand a lot of people feel differently.

How do you separate the amateurism from the illegality and the false pretenses under which amateurism was championed?

First, you can't state opinion as fact.

Second, are you saying a student athlete is a illegitimate concept because many of the athletes would not be admitted to university as ordinary students?

How do you feel about affirmative action...? I dare say I know the answer already. The ends justify the means?

First, you can't state opinion as fact.

Second, are you saying a student athlete is a illegitimate concept because many of the athletes would not be admitted to university as ordinary students?

How do you feel about affirmative action...? I dare say I know the answer already. The ends justify the means?

True or false, the NCAA originated "amateurism" and "student-athlete" to prevent schools from being exposed to worker's compensation and not for more altruistic reasons? The answer to this question is not a matter of opinion.

I will rescind the illegality assertion for the sake of argument.

I don't think the NFL is interested in having minor league football because the physical development of kids is so dramatic in the three to five years they are on a college campus that it is extremely difficult to look at a kid at age 17 or 18 and have any idea what he is going to look like at age 21 or 22. Same goes for judging baseball projection, but baseball's applied skills are in closer balance to physical attributes (size, speed, strength) than they are in football. Plus, the capital costs to football are considerably more.

The concept of "the athlete can go play somewhere else" is over simplistic. The NCAA is an member organization that has a monopoly at the D-1 level for athletics that feed into football and basketball for men. Unlike the baseball & hockey where an athlete can enter the league at 18, both football and NBA basketball have restrictions that force kids to play in the NCAA (99+%) to gain entry into their leagues.

This monopoly creates different standards as it relates specifically to these two men's sports. The schools in league with the NCAA collude to set prices (value of scholarships), restrict wages, bargaining both individually and collectively, and continue to make significant revenue off the names & likeness of the student athletes that far exceed the value of their scholarships and this collusion has created an environment where the value of a scholarship is significantly below the total cost of going to school and NCAA rules prevent student athletes from earning income to cover the costs outside of their scholarship.

The argument that the revenue goes to support sports that don't support themselves has no bearing on the unfair practices by the NCAA and its members.

I was on academic scholarship in college, but still was able to work as a teaching assistant, work as a tutor, work at an outside job. If I was a D-1 athlete at the same school, I wouldn't have been able to any of these things...even though my scholarship covered 100% of my tuition, room & board just like a student athlete. How is this fair, reasonable and acceptable in this FREE country of ours? Oh, and I also owned the research I did, any patents I would have produced, etc. And Johnny Football can't sign come ****ing autographs and get paid? Idiotic BS IMO.

But then by that logic, should someone be able to sue a school if they get kicked out for violating their policies because they can't get a certain job without a degree? Or if they simply can't pass a required classes? What if they can't put in the time for homework? Or can't afford it and don't qualify for scholarships?

No one has a God given right to play football in the NFL. If you choose to pursue that as your profession, then you make the choice to play college football or go to the AFL or sit out three years and hope for the best. If you don't want to do that then find another profession.

When I wanted to be an engineer, I chose to go to college, do a pile of work that not only was I not paid to do (even though some of it was research for the U) but I paid for the privelege of doing. That was the choice I made because I wanted to gain employment after college as an engineer and the only way to do that was to go to college and get a degree.

I doubt anyone would say colleges have a monopoly because you need a degree to be an accountant, doctor, engineer, lawyer, scientist, etc. Why is football so different?

If the NCAA's purpose was to be a feeder for the NFL, then the players would have more of an argument. But (whether you believe in it or not) their stated purpose is to provide educational experience.

Do I see some changes coming? Sure. Do I see the death of the NCAA? Not by a long shot.

But then by that logic, should someone be able to sue a school if they get kicked out for violating their policies because they can't get a certain job without a degree? Or if they simply can't pass a required classes? What if they can't put in the time for homework? Or can't afford it and don't qualify for scholarships?

No one has a God given right to play football in the NFL. If you choose to pursue that as your profession, then you make the choice to play college football or go to the AFL or sit out three years and hope for the best. If you don't want to do that then find another profession.

When I wanted to be an engineer, I chose to go to college, do a pile of work that not only was I not paid to do (even though some of it was research for the U) but I paid for the privelege of doing. That was the choice I made because I wanted to gain employment after college as an engineer and the only way to do that was to go to college and get a degree.

I doubt anyone would say colleges have a monopoly because you need a degree to be an accountant, doctor, engineer, lawyer, scientist, etc. Why is football so different?

If the NCAA's purpose was to be a feeder for the NFL, then the players would have more of an argument. But (whether you believe in it or not) their stated purpose is to provide educational experience.

Do I see some changes coming? Sure. Do I see the death of the NCAA? Not by a long shot.

Not sure what your arguments have to do with what I said as they are completely unrelated. If there were on 32 companies that hired engineers and your chances of getting one of these highly scarce jobs depended on your entry into one of 100 or so programs and those 100 schools colluded to make you work for below value wages while raking in millions from your undergrad work, then maybe you would have a point. Instead there are millions of engineering jobs and probably a thousand schools with engineering undergrad degrees. The nature of the monopoly that these NCAA members have specifically for FB and BB players is the reason it is illegal...apples to oranges the way you argue it.

The simple truth is that the NCAA member schools have violated the law by colluding to limit the value of scholarships in BB and FB while raking in hundreds of millions in revenue and when this finally hits the supreme court it will be decided as such. Remember, the same laws that are being used now for lawsuits against the NCAA were used to break up standard oil, ma bell, microsoft (browser install), railroads, steel, etc and so on and so on. And in every instance, some jackwagon said no way will they be able to break up that monopoly...and then they did.

Not sure what your arguments have to do with what I said as they are completely unrelated. If there were on 32 companies that hired engineers and your chances of getting one of these highly scarce jobs depended on your entry into one of 100 or so programs and those 100 schools colluded to make you work for below value wages while raking in millions from your undergrad work, then maybe you would have a point. Instead there are millions of engineering jobs and probably a thousand schools with engineering undergrad degrees. The nature of the monopoly that these NCAA members have specifically for FB and BB players is the reason it is illegal...apples to oranges the way you argue it.

The simple truth is that the NCAA member schools have violated the law by colluding to limit the value of scholarships in BB and FB while raking in hundreds of millions in revenue and when this finally hits the supreme court it will be decided as such. Remember, the same laws that are being used now for lawsuits against the NCAA were used to break up standard oil, ma bell, microsoft (browser install), railroads, steel, etc and so on and so on. And in every instance, some jackwagon said no way will they be able to break up that monopoly...and then they did.

This remains to be seen.

The concept of "the athlete can go play somewhere else" is over simplistic. The NCAA is an member organization that has a monopoly at the D-1 level for athletics that feed into football and basketball for men. Unlike the baseball & hockey where an athlete can enter the league at 18, both football and NBA basketball have restrictions that force kids to play in the NCAA (99+%) to gain entry into their leagues.

Why is this the problem of the NCAA or it's member schools? Will somebody please answer that question?

Why is this the problem of the NCAA or it's member schools? Will somebody please answer that question?

It's not if you're the head of the NCAA or any other organization engaged in unfair competition and illegal business activities.

For the same reason that it was the problem of Standard Oil, US Steel, MaBells and Microsoft, they have engaged in practices that purposely limit or eliminate competition, natural barriers to entry that further limit competition and they meet and collude to create an environment where the labor does not have the ability to negotiate which has created a value on that labor that is below what a market driven model would create.

I.E. If athletes were allowed to negotiate directly with schools without the rules and regulations set forth by the NCAA, many would demand significantly larger incomes than the value of a scholarship because there attendance at that university generates profits that far exceed the cost of producing the on field product.

The NCAA and its members had years to get in front of this but chose to stay the course. Now they are being sued in multiple class action lawsuits and have already lost some and will lose more that ultimately may be its demise. In my opinion.

They can't. That's why their side has no merit.

doll, please disclose if you work for the U.

I'll answer the question: See Sherman Act and Clayton Act. Of which, the most often cited case is The Chicago Board of Trade v United States, which defined restraint of trade as, "Every agreement concerning trade, every regulation of trade, restrains. To bind, to restrain, is of their very essence. The true test of legality is whether the restraint imposed is such as merely regulates and perhaps thereby promotes competition or whether it is such as may suppress or even destroy competition. To determine that question the court must ordinarily consider the facts peculiar to the business to which the restraint is applied; its condition before and after the restraint was imposed; the nature of the restraint and its effect, actual or probable. The history of the restraint, the evil believed to exist, the reason for adopting the particular remedy, the purpose or end sought to be attained, are all relevant facts. " So said the US Supremes.

The NCAA athletes conduct manual is 400 pages long. Any miniscule infraction can cause a contract for scholarship to be null and void. Before the NCAA, players determined who they played and controlled gate proceeds. The colleges took over and exchanged the gate for scholarships. Then, in the 1950's, the handbook was instituted to control the scholarships. And, the term student athlete was created to keep the athletes from being legally recognized as employees for workers compensation for injuries. Now, with the advent of the regional director of the NLRB ruling that Northwestern players were legally employees, they fit into a protected status under the law in general to all things related to trade and employment. Also, with athletes in suit against EA sports and the NCAA for using their image after graduation or exit from school, their status as individuals for claims became more powerful because one region now recognizes athletes under scholarship as being employees. This is the same region that the Indiana Supreme court has already recognized athletes as being qualified employees under Indiana and US Law.

There is no doubt that under the tests of Chicago board, that certain proofs will be made showing athletes losing under the current scholarship and control arrangement.

The documentary, Schooled showed how both sides are approaching the problem.

I find for the athlete as being restrained from adding any more benefit for the scholarship contract since all schools agreed prior to the grants of scholarship to limit those awards by NCAA formulas.

Feel free to disagree with this view, but they are the germane facts of the cases now before the courts.

That is not the way football works either. There are AFL, CFL, and Eurpoean teams you can go play for after college. There are 32 NFL teams, and they pay the most money. However, you are not required to go to an NCAA school to play there, counterexamples have been mentioned many times on this board.

The football system sounds very similar to law school. There are lots of lawyer jobs out there. However, the best paying jobs are at a handful of big-law firms. The vast bulk of those jobs go to people who go to a small number of top-law schools, but, just like in football, a small number of resourceful individuals are able to take a different route and still find their way into the big firms. Furthermore, to get those jobs, good grades aren't enough, you frequently need to do more through extra-curricular activities, where you work to raise the profile of the school while receiving no compensation (editing law journals, volunteering in their clinical education programs, etc.). I would actually say that law is more of a monopoly, because a law license actually requires in many states graduation from an ABA accredited law school.

Another important feature of the NCAA is that, whether we believe the stated missions (about supporting education and well-rounded adults, etc.), or we think that it exists to make money for itself, it is certainly not doing what it does as some benevolent effort to provide a training ground for NFL and NBA players. If it were, more than 1% of its members would go there.

That is not the way football works either. There are AFL, CFL, and Eurpoean teams you can go play for after college. There are 32 NFL teams, and they pay the most money. However, you are not required to go to an NCAA school to play there, counterexamples have been mentioned many times on this board.

The football system sounds very similar to law school. There are lots of lawyer jobs out there. However, the best paying jobs are at a handful of big-law firms. The vast bulk of those jobs go to people who go to a small number of top-law schools, but, just like in football, a small number of resourceful individuals are able to take a different route and still find their way into the big firms. Furthermore, to get those jobs, good grades aren't enough, you frequently need to do more through extra-curricular activities, where you work to raise the profile of the school while receiving no compensation (editing law journals, volunteering in their clinical education programs, etc.). I would actually say that law is more of a monopoly, because a law license actually requires in many states graduation from an ABA accredited law school.

Another important feature of the NCAA is that, whether we believe the stated missions (about supporting education and well-rounded adults, etc.), or we think that it exists to make money for itself, it is certainly not doing what it does as some benevolent effort to provide a training ground for NFL and NBA players. If it were, more than 1% of its members would go there.

It is nothing like law school. That is absurd.

Law firms across the Twin Cities do not collude together to artificially lower the compensation of employees. Faegre Baker Daniels associates make more money than Robins, Kaplan, Miller, & Ciresi associates. FBD even pays associates of the same class different salaries. Skadden pays more than Covington. What are you talking about?

The NCAA and its members collude to limit compensation.

Law school does compensate students.

The NCAA does not equal law school in your analogy. The NCAA does not equal law firms in your analogy. The NFL also does not equal law firms.

Your analogy needs work.

So, there are not 32 professional football teams, there are closer to 50. OK, so that some how makes my point moot? And your law school example? Not close bud.

The NCAA is losing cases as fast as they can be heard and that won't stop anytime soon. This is big business and the players will be compensated and former players will have a case for back pay and the NCAA will not survive in its current form. You read it here first...the NCAA & its Members Schools owes tens of millions of dollars to former D-1 Football and BB players for their criminal activities and they will eventually have to pay.

For the same reason that it was the problem of Standard Oil, US Steel, MaBells and Microsoft, they have engaged in practices that purposely limit or eliminate competition, natural barriers to entry that further limit competition and they meet and collude to create an environment where the labor does not have the ability to negotiate which has created a value on that labor that is below what a market driven model would create. I.E. If athletes were allowed to negotiate directly with schools without the rules and regulations set forth by the NCAA, many would demand significantly larger incomes than the value of a scholarship because there attendance at that university generates profits that far exceed the cost of producing the on field product. The NCAA and its members had years to get in front of this but chose to stay the course. Now they are being sued in multiple class action lawsuits and have already lost some and will lose more that ultimately may be its demise. In my opinion.

Sorry, I was specifically referring to the stated argument that NFL policies create the alleged monopoly. In my view the NCAA cannot be blamed for what the NFL does or doesn't do so long as they are not colluding. Are you alleging that the NFL rules that limit competition are coordinated with the NCAA?

If that's the allegation I think you are dead wrong. The NFL only changed its rule from four years to three when Barry Sanders sued them. The NBA only changed its rule from no years to one when 20-30 high school kids a year started bailing on their future thinking they were the next LeBron and the NBA teams got frustrated trying to scout 10,000 high schools. The NCAA had nothing to do with it.

p.s. - if there are such smoke filled rooms of collusion Don Lucia would like directions to the room. He'd have about four more titles by now if he could keep his players and he wouldn't have to listen to NHL scouts trash his program in the press.

doll, please disclose if you work for the U. I'll answer the question: See Sherman Act and Clayton Act. Of which, the most often cited case is The Chicago Board of Trade v United States, which defined restraint of trade as, "Every agreement concerning trade, every regulation of trade, restrains. To bind, to restrain, is of their very essence. The true test of legality is whether the restraint imposed is such as merely regulates and perhaps thereby promotes competition or whether it is such as may suppress or even destroy competition. To determine that question the court must ordinarily consider the facts peculiar to the business to which the restraint is applied; its condition before and after the restraint was imposed; the nature of the restraint and its effect, actual or probable. The history of the restraint, the evil believed to exist, the reason for adopting the particular remedy, the purpose or end sought to be attained, are all relevant facts. " So said the US Supremes. The NCAA athletes conduct manual is 400 pages long. Any miniscule infraction can cause a contract for scholarship to be null and void. Before the NCAA, players determined who they played and controlled gate proceeds. The colleges took over and exchanged the gate for scholarships. Then, in the 1950's, the handbook was instituted to control the scholarships. And, the term student athlete was created to keep the athletes from being legally recognized as employees for workers compensation for injuries. Now, with the advent of the regional director of the NLRB ruling that Northwestern players were legally employees, they fit into a protected status under the law in general to all things related to trade and employment. Also, with athletes in suit against EA sports and the NCAA for using their image after graduation or exit from school, their status as individuals for claims became more powerful because one region now recognizes athletes under scholarship as being employees. This is the same region that the Indiana Supreme court has already recognized athletes as being qualified employees under Indiana and US Law. There is no doubt that under the tests of Chicago board, that certain proofs will be made showing athletes losing under the current scholarship and control arrangement. The documentary, Schooled showed how both sides are approaching the problem. I find for the athlete as being restrained from adding any more benefit for the scholarship contract since all schools agreed prior to the grants of scholarship to limit those awards by NCAA formulas. Feel free to disagree with this view, but they are the germane facts of the cases now before the courts.

Again, I was referring only to the allegation that the NCAA is restraining trade BECAUSE the NFL has a three year draft rule. I'm not an attorney but I believe the prior statement can only be true if the NCAA is colluding with the NFL. It begs the question - why don't they collude with the NBA & NHL, and why don't they keep players for four years rather than three?

For the same reason that it was the problem of Standard Oil, US Steel, MaBells and Microsoft, they have engaged in practices that purposely limit or eliminate competition, natural barriers to entry that further limit competition and they meet and collude to create an environment where the labor does not have the ability to negotiate which has created a value on that labor that is below what a market driven model would create.

I.E. If athletes were allowed to negotiate directly with schools without the rules and regulations set forth by the NCAA, many would demand significantly larger incomes than the value of a scholarship because there attendance at that university generates profits that far exceed the cost of producing the on field product.

The NCAA and its members had years to get in front of this but chose to stay the course. Now they are being sued in multiple class action lawsuits and have already lost some and will lose more that ultimately may be its demise. In my opinion.

Well argued, but the point that a market driven model would produce higher "wages" than the value of a scholarship is easy to disprove using current supply and demand. It's a fact that A majority of football players pay to play. Thus, supply exceeds demand. Unless, there is a government instituted floor, "wages" would likely drop.

The teams that gave huge wages would likely not make much money, while others would offer the minimum allowed by law and likely be far more successful because of the the nature "cheap muscle." An analogous case example can be seen several times in baseball, where the teams doing best sought large quantities of cheap players. This started with 1930s Cardinals. Next, big wave happened at collapse of Negro leagues. Then again (and still occurring) with Latin American baseball factories.

College Athletes would need to limit Supply - like the MLB union did in the 70s, through creation of the arbitration system created by Marvin Miller, to substantially increase wages each year. Miller deliberately created a shortage of available players every year thus driving a cumulative upward pressure on wages; Fans have come to believe is simply a fact inherent in the sport.

Of course, that all may end up irrelevant as price fixing is indefensible under the law.

Ultimately, I think It hinges on the employee relationship question. The Supreme court may find the relationship between University and Student extends to football. I.E. a football program is equivalent in education to Say an Engineering or Accounting programs. I think most companies involved in those fields require at a minimum an undergrad degree.... well, same is true in the NFL and NBA. You have to go to school and learn the basics first.

However, if it's employee-employer than everything blows up. The NCAA rules go out the window and payment, taxes on scholarships, and all the other stuff comes into play. To me, the employer-employee stuff still seems like a stretch.

Then there is the other part of your argument; the payment stuff. That one is where I think the NCAA needs to retool their thinking. Seems like you may be on to something. Just to clarify, the NCAA does not prohibit jobs, they cap the total compensation though (possibly unfairly). Lastly, the autograph and video game commercial rights has been historically exempted for gov and non profits. Universities are quasi both (otherwise, Tittle IX wouldn't be applicable).... so there is another point that could kill some of these suits.

Top Bottom