Scholarships and how they work

RaT

Reaction score
I was thinking about redshirting and it got me thinking: How exactly does that work scholarshi wise? Are scholarships given out on a full four year basis, or if a player reshirts are they getting a full scholarship for five years? Or are they given an 80% scholarship(4 year scholly distributed out through 5) for the five years?

Probably a stupid question, but just wondering?

Thoughts.......

I'm not positive but I believe scholarship's are on a 1 year basis and are renewed each year to a player.

Scholarships are awarded on a year to year basis. However, that is pretty misleading; there are VERY few circumstances where a coach pulls a scholarship. If he offers a player out of high school, it's 99.9% that he's going to get a 4 year scholarship (in the few cases where he wants to pull it, a coach typically encourages a player to leave and transfer elsewhere so he won't have to do deal with the drama of pulling it).

For walk-ons, they can be awarded a scholarship if there are some to give (ie more scholarships available than players on the team, ie Jamal Abu-Shamala getting a few years of scholarhip).

Redshirt players typically also take up a scholarship unless they are a walk-on (ie Dawson). If a recruit is redshirted for non-medical reasons, plays 4 years, AND gets a medical redshirt, he could have a scholarship for all 6 years.

Thanks ShowinGoldyLove.

Pretty much answers my question. So in essence, we are tying up a scholly for Ellison for 5 years.

So in essence, we are tying up a scholly for Ellison for 5 years.

I think you're referring to Eliason - it's far too early to determine whether or not he'll be a redshirt.

Kids in general are 'nudged' out of a school more often than you'd think.

ShowinGoldyLove is right on here. I have not heard of any coach pulling a students scholarship in the middle of a playing career without reason. It does happen but it is always for a good reason.

By far the most common reason for a scholarship to be pulled is because of legal trouble. Even then I heard of some times-mainly in football-of keeping the kid on scholarship on but off the team to get the kid his degree. Often he would be really close to his degree. The only reason this is possible is because in football is because of the overall large number of scholarships in the sport.

I have also heard of a new coaching staff pulling scholarships from players. This is mainly a basketball thing mostly because of the smaller number of scholarships. I also believe I have heard of a scholarship being pulled if the athlete isn't preforming in the class room often times, I that case the student can also flunk out.

I have NEVER heard of a scholarship being pulled because of a student-athlete not performing on the field, nor should it, EVER. I don't think it would be worth the bad public relations for the coach, department, or school. I would kill recuiting.

I'm sure Bo Ryan would never pull a scholarship for that reason but think about Tubby going into the next big time recuit from Minnesota living room sitting down on the other side of the coffee table from Mom and Dad and says "I know Bo Ryan was in here last week, but did you know he pulled a scholarship from Player X because he didn't preform on the court. I know I wouldn't want MY kid playing for a guy like that. And that's what your kid would be if he came to Minnesota, MY own child." Clearly not worth it.

I was thinking about redshirting and it got me thinking: How exactly does that work scholarshi wise? Are scholarships given out on a full four year basis, or if a player reshirts are they getting a full scholarship for five years? Or are they given an 80% scholarship(4 year scholly distributed out through 5) for the five years?

Probably a stupid question, but just wondering?

Thoughts.......

Redshirts are typically on scholarship but not always.

A redshirt gets 5 years of scholarship.

I have not heard of any coach pulling a students scholarship in the middle of a playing career without reason. It does happen but it is always for a good reason.

I know every case is different - but Gophers had two players on scholarship last year who were not given Scholarships for their last year of eligibility.

Travis Busch who transferred here as a walk-on - he was on scholarship here for 2 years. He played his last year at Colorado St - he did not have to sit out a year at CSU since he graduated from Minnesota and was allowed to transfer to another graduate school to finish up his eligibility and continue his education.

Kevin Payton was a freshman with Damian Johnson. They both red-shirted their freshman year. Payton had another year of eligibility. He may have graduated also IIRC. I assume he was not offered a scholarship for his final year of eligibility. He played last year in Austria.

They both graduated.

Thanks FTB - I thought that Kevin had graduated - but was not sure. I remember he was suspended for a short time his last year for some Academic reason I believe.

Both graduated but also both were players on scholarship who had a year of eligibility remaining.

I know every case is different - but Gophers had two players on scholarship last year who were not given Scholarships for their last year of eligibility.

Travis Busch who transferred here as a walk-on - he was on scholarship here for 2 years. He played his last year at Colorado St - he did not have to sit out a year at CSU since he graduated from Minnesota and was allowed to transfer to another graduate school to finish up his eligibility and continue his education.

Kevin Payton was a freshman with Damian Johnson. They both red-shirted their freshman year. Payton had another year of eligibility. He may have graduated also IIRC. I assume he was not offered a scholarship for his final year of eligibility. He played last year in Austria.

I'm sorry I should have been more specific. Walk-on's are a completely different beast. If a walk-on is lucky enough to get a scholarship it's great for them. If the coach pulls the scholarship because of they have filled up from "signed players" thats ok by me because the walk on did not come to the school with the idea of having a scholarship.

I don't know enough about the Kevin Payton issue to comment it.

Walk-on's are a completely different beast.

I agree with you walk-on's fit a different category. However, more than once this season - IN HINDSIGHT - I thought Travis would have helped more than Trevor and Royce did.

Also, as far as intangibles and distractions are concerned and IN HINDSIGHT, I thought Kevin could be put in that category as well.

Perhaps, in the future we will be glad to have given Trevor a scholarship - we can only hope.

Top Bottom