Schad: How high can Rashod Bateman go in the 2021 NFL Draft?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Schad:

With the Minnesota Golden Gophers' season in jeopardy due to a COVID-19 outbreak, Rashod Bateman made the decision to opt-out of the final three games to prepare for the NFL Draft. This is the second time Bateman has made this decision, but for good reason.

Bateman leaves behind a college career that saw him re-write the Gophers' record books and be named the Big Ten's Richter-Howard Receiver of the Year Award winner during his sophomore season, and he has a bright future in the NFL.

While last year's class brought Justin Jefferson, CeeDee Lamb and Chase Claypool to the league, the 2021 class may be just as good. Even if Bateman didn't change course on his initial decision, he would have been toward the top of the class with LSU's J'Marr Chase and the Alabama duo of Jaylen Waddle and DeVonta Smith.

The Draft Network currently has Bateman listed as their WR4 behind that group and fits the mold of today's NFL offenses. While teams have graduated to a more vertical approach, Bateman has fit right in, generating over 20.3 yards per reception during his sophomore year.

Go Gophers!!

I think he's early 2nd round until the combine.
Then he could possibly fly up to top 10 pick.

Worst case scenario, he won't make it past the Jet's 2nd pick or GB's 1st pick in the first round. Obviously going to the Jets would be worst case for Rashod, to GB the worst case for us fans.

Zero percent chance the Jets pass on him twice.

Late first round, combine can make him climb or fall

2nd round at latest. He'll do well in the pros on and off the field.

I'd say Bateman goes somewhere between where Winfield and Johnson were selected last year.

GB doesn’t want him. They already have receivers who drop the ball.

Mid 1st to mid 2nd. It depends on how things shake out and who needs a WR.

He is a top 5 WR so top 40 is my guess.....

Honest question: What are some of the weaknesses in Bateman's game?

I read somewhere that there may be some concerns about his ability to separate at the next level...he's great at contested catches but the drawback to that is that he's making contested catches in the first place and not gaining separation.

I tend to think his draft range is somewhere in the 20-45 range. WR class is super deep and the two Bama and LSU receivers are the only ones I'm fairly confident go ahead of him.

Dane Brugler has him at #29 in his first mock.

29. Green Bay Packers: Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota
The Packers haven’t drafted a wide receiver in the first round since Javon Walker in 2002, but they have to break that streak at some point, right? Aaron Rodgers can hope. Although not a burner, Bateman is a savvy route-runner who does a great job leveraging coverage and creating separation at various depths of the field.

Top Bottom