SB Nation's Bill Connolly takes a dim view of the Gophers

Yet more reinforcement for the view of how things look from the outside looking in.

This guy appears to be very stat-oriented, and the Gophs certainly do not have any numbers that jump out at you to make you think this is going to be a better team.

In the end, it comes down to whether you believe that Kill knows what he's doing, and has the program heading in the right direction. This team is going to need some things to break their way, and have some positive surprises. If that happens, then 7 wins (maybe even 8) are possible. But if they get some bad breaks and negative surprises, it could wind up being 5-7 with no bowl game. Time will tell.

I could not figure out if it was a cooking review, a stats lecture, or a series of overcooked premises based on nothing. In a word, worthless.

I could not figure out if it was a cooking review, a stats lecture, or a series of overcooked premises based on nothing. In a word, worthless.

Agree, husker. It was worth what I paid for it.

Stats tell you what happened in the past...when you're dealing with human beings that can improve/grow, they tell you nothing of the future.

Stats tell you what happened in the past...when you're dealing with human beings that can improve/grow, they tell you nothing of the future.

Never, ever try telling lots of GH'ers that.

I don't think the article is worthless, he makes some decent points. One thing I didn't understand is he brought up injuries a few times but then didn't really factor them into his overall evaluation of last year. I tend to agree with GopherHomer, it's tough to predict how a season is going to go for college football teams. You can have a general idea, but there is so much turnover, kids improve, JUCO and freshman additions, etc. that can change things pretty dramatically. Plus, if we stay healthy, we should be improved regardless. There are definitely still concerns with this team but it's not as bad as most national experts tend to think.

Modeling is a great way to discuss the possible outcomes. Just because you can't guarantee that the model is correct doesn't mean you shouldn't consider them.

I'm most amazed that the first person who is mad at the numbers spent countless posts trying to convince us that someone's squat maximum means something. #mindboggle

Thought it was a good analysis. Or at least fair. I disagree with him on how good we'll be this year, but we have to prove it.

The model can not fully predict performance where the opposition has had a 20-30% turnover in personnel while the Goph's have the same turnover. And, the supporting cast of 2 and 3 deeps is now very different. So, the whole model becomes even more tenuous. Not to speak of injuries, odd football hops, weird ref calls, and hangovers, girl friends, and academic load, and the odd case of food poisoning. It doesn't figure in more goodness of fit of players to system, conditioning, staff insight, or year 3 of the Kill regime. I'm leaning on the intangibles playing a larger than life role than last years or last 30 years of statistics can prove.

Could the jump in defense last years defensive performance be predicted from the prior 1, 2, 3 or 4 years of data? I doubt it. See the intangibles.
Were the number of offensive linemen injuries predictable from the prior 1, 2, 3, or 40 years of data? Nuh uhh.

These are nice slices of data which can be pointed toward for areas of improvement, but then again, the better numbers won't be found in those very broadly based numbers. To be a good data driven decision maker requires having the right numbers to begin with. This piece was a pure fail.

Yeah, that is the really tricky part about using advanced statistics in college sports. It works better in something like baseball where a player has a much longer set of data to work with; in college football, you have a maximum of 55 prior games played on which to project future results (barring any medical redshirt situation). And the median on a team is going to be WAY WAY less than that (probably somewhere around 5 on any given team). So it's extremely difficult to project future success with such a small sample size. And really, it's one of the reasons college football is so great - unpredictability (to an extent).

Wait wait wait. You mean, you can't predict entire college football seasons using stats? Well, I feel lied to. Good job dean for exposing this fraud.

Never, ever try telling lots of GH'ers that.

You got that right! Some of them seemed to be permanently fixated on the past 50 years. The good news is that the younger fans are moving on while some of the older ones are taking a little longer.

Modeling is a great way to discuss the possible outcomes. Just because you can't guarantee that the model is correct doesn't mean you shouldn't consider them.

I'm most amazed that the first person who is mad at the numbers spent countless posts trying to convince us that someone's squat maximum means something. #mindboggle

Peter Senge said it best - "All models are wrong. Some are useful."

Top Bottom