Say it ain't so-Parker Fox out for season

Sucks to lose him this year (because we’re already super thin in the front court). Let’s hope he’s the same player when he comes back. Explosive leapers and knee injuries don’t go together well.
You're right, Zach Lavine never recovered from that ACL injury in 2017. Oh wait, he's averaging 28 pts a game in the NBA this year.

Thanks. Well, what can we say besides it sucks. My only hope is that mentally he can get over the injury once it heals. That's usually the biggest hurdle with athletes like Fox
I'm nowhere near the athlete Fox is, but my experience tearing ligaments 40 years ago backs this up. The mental recovery was more difficult and prolonged than the physical for me.

What a shame, and what an absolute shit break for Fox first and foremost, and then for the program, the coaches, the team, the fans and etc. To lose by far our best recruit like that before he'd even had a chance to wear the uniform just seems like the epitome of Gopher basketball, like some kind of cruel cosmic joke. Drag, drag, drag...

We'll get through it somehow. I just hope that Parker is doing alright. For any high level athlete, sustaining such a major injury as that is just devastating emotionally, and I really feel for that kid and the many months of struggle, physical therapy and rehab he's got ahead of him. Hang in there, Mr. Parker Fox, and get well soon.
Eric Curry is there to walk him through the process.

Right? Just an odd, odd way of sharing that particular piece of news.
Psst, what a cynical way to share news of a devastating injury.
Allow me to assist, as I speak Shooter. The Psst lead-in is his way of acknowledging that this is not a publicly reported story. No one will go on record with him to confirm it (or maybe he didn't even ask). He isn't a reporter, so the usual rules for journalists at the paper, like that they don't publish things they can't confirm, don't apply to him. It does not mean it isn't true, it just means that Shooter got a call from somebody who told him it happened and decided to print it.

Ok trying to be positive here. We are going to be AWFUL next year, maybe this helps extend Fox another year when we will hopefully be better and gives other guys more experience for future years! That's it, that's all I got ha. Uff next year I'd suggest finding a 2nd team to back because it's going to be ugly in Dinkytown

So from what I understand he has already been in college 4 years. Assuming he sits this year out, and still has two years of eligibility, I’d assume he plays at least one year, but do we really think he is gonna wanna be a 7th year senior??

So from what I understand he has already been in college 4 years. Assuming he sits this year out, and still has two years of eligibility, I’d assume he plays at least one year, but do we really think he is gonna wanna be a 7th year senior??
Yeah I doubt it. ACL surgeries are normally 6-9 months. I'm assuming he'll be back at some point this year. Curry comparisons aren't really relevant here since he tore his knee multiple times.

The curse of Gopher Sports couldn't even wait a full week:

Fox, a 6-foot-8 junior from Northern State (S.D.), committed to new Gophers coach Ben Johnson on April 15. The Mahtomedi native said he suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus in his left knee while working out on campus later that week.

"I jumped off my right foot and landed on my left leg and felt a pop," Fox said. "It was kind of a freak accident. [Johnson] didn't waver with me. He didn't even second guess it. It was tough for me to tell him. Obviously, I broke down. He still wants me to be a part of the program and what they have going on."

The curse of Gopher Sports couldn't even wait a full week:

Fox, a 6-foot-8 junior from Northern State (S.D.), committed to new Gophers coach Ben Johnson on April 15. The Mahtomedi native said he suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus in his left knee while working out on campus later that week.

"I jumped off my right foot and landed on my left leg and felt a pop," Fox said. "It was kind of a freak accident. [Johnson] didn't waver with me. He didn't even second guess it. It was tough for me to tell him. Obviously, I broke down. He still wants me to be a part of the program and what they have going on."

"Injuries are no excuse, all that matters is conference record" - Builtbadgers. At least this is Johnson's free year, if Fox fully recovers, a sit out year could be beneficial for him.

A lot of players wouldn't, but I bet Fox would.

Most of his current teammates will be out the door before he even sees the floor.

He’s 20 days removed from surgery to repair his left ACL & meniscus, with 6-9 months recovery. Maybe he will be able to play by mid December?

"Injuries are no excuse, all that matters is conference record" - Builtbadgers. At least this is Johnson's free year, if Fox fully recovers, a sit out year could be beneficial for him.
Liar. That is not my quote. Anyone can whine about injuries but only some do so. Conference record is not all that matters. Character matters, conference titles matter, national titles and final 4 matters. Actually a very poor conference record also mattered, it just got someone fired.

Liar. That is not my quote. Anyone can whine about injuries but only some do so. Conference record is not all that matters. Character matters, conference titles matter, national titles and final 4 matters. Actually a very poor conference record also mattered, it just got someone fired.
You're right I was paraphrasing and was intentionally short. You have repeatedly stated injuries can not be used as an excuse to defend losing. You also have repeatedly cited conference record of the last coach to justify firing. I don't disagree. I expect nothing less than the highest character from this staff, so we have that checked.

It seemed like an active media day for Mr. Fox. With surgery back in mid-April, any chance he's back this season? Has anybody heard anything about his recovery?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3806178/

Fifty-eight NBA players underwent ACLR while in the NBA. Mean player age was 25.7 ± 3.5 years. Forty percent of ACL tears occurred in the fourth quarter. Fifty players (86%) RTS in the NBA, and 7 players (12%) RTS in the International Basketball Federation (FIBA) or D-league. Ninety-eight percent of players RTS in the NBA the season following ACLR (11.6 ± 4.1 months from injury).

It seemed like an active media day for Mr. Fox. With surgery back in mid-April, any chance he's back this season? Has anybody heard anything about his recovery?
I've suffered three completely torn ACLs and had four surgeries to repair them. There are alot of factors at play, and every athlete is different. The main factors include the severity of the injury (beyond the ACL), the level of athlete, age, how smoothly the surgery went and the level of rehab they have access to. The biggest part is mental and learning to trust the knee again.

It's not unrealistic that Fox would be running at six months, then cutting and jumping, and playing again at 10-12 months. But what type of player is he immediately when cleared? Does he having a buring desire - for whatever reason - to play this season? Fox will be a much closer version of himself by next summer than he will be this winter.

So, it's possible he could see court by the early 2022 part of the season, at best. But not sure how much that would help the team.

So, it's possible he could see court by the early 2022 part of the season, at best. But not sure how much that would help the team.
For him it will come down to how long he wants to play/stay in college too. If he doesn't plan on staying past next year, then no need to worry about the extra year of eligibility. If he'd rather have two healthy years (unlikely if he wants to make money playing), then he'd for sure hold off.

It's going to be an awfully ugly year.

We'll get through it. If they can find a PG of the future, then 2022 will be fun, with growing pains.

I know. This is my first year as a season ticket (basketball....already a football) holder. I think I might be eating some of those tickets. But it will be worth it in the long run.

It's going to be an awfully ugly year.
Is it though? I thought last year was worse because we had all this "talent" that didn't play together and a team that basically quit. I'm at least interested to see this team play together, share the ball, and defend as a team. Agree the results may not be great, but I can at least watch them if they are working hard and trying.

Is it though? I thought last year was worse because we had all this "talent" that didn't play together and a team that basically quit. I'm at least interested to see this team play together, share the ball, and defend as a team. Agree the results may not be great, but I can at least watch them if they are working hard and trying.

Last year's team had some really good wins. This year's team might have some wins.

Last year's team had some really good wins. This year's team might have some wins.
Yeah they had some nice ones early, but that made the end of the year worse for me. I mean they won 6 games and finished second to last. I know I’m in a minority here still but I think this years team can match that if they defend. All in ones preference I suppose

I’m an orthopedic physical therapist, and I can tell you 9 months is the minimum time recommended to return to any cutting/jumping sport to minimize risk of re-tear, and that’s for a straight ACL tear. I believe he had a multi-ligament injury so he is likely looking at a year or more recovery. It’s probably not in his best long term interest to try to rush back to play this year, but every person/situation is different.

Ya, they quit on Pitino. They lose in overtime to a tournament team in Rutgers.
Beat NW first game of theBig Ten tourney.
Lose to #9 in the country Ohio St by four points in the second game of the Big Ten tourney.
All without injured starters to close the season. But ya, they quit. We disagree.
You coach a team….play Big Ten competition without key players and see how your team competes. Quitting on the coach, they lose all 3 by 25 plus.
And if the team quit on Pitino earlier and he somehow got them to buy back in…he is a miracle worker. You lose a team during the season…it takes a miracle for a coach to win their trust back. Players quit on themselves but when and if they quit on a coach there’s no remedy for that.

Last edited:

Top Bottom