Saw this on the BTN Facebook page

zambam

Reaction score
64776_10150604876579022_46198039021_9071468_21443696_n.jpg

From the tourney today, is that Flip? (Obviously I mean the guy next to Weber)
EDIT:
AND Izzo's wife behind them?

“@FromTheBarn: Flip at the #BTT, don't be shocked if he is #gophers assistant next season.”

Yes... I like the argyle.. but what's the little man in front of them doing with his nose?

if Flip donates 2 million to the U for Tubbys buyout does he get the job immediately?

Yes... I like the argyle.. but what's the little man in front of them doing with his nose?

Digging for gold of course. Gold is very valuable now days.

I would love to have Flip as an assistant next year. Probably pretty highly unlikely but you never know.

I don't think Flip will be an assistant next year because of the fact that we don't have a long term athletic director. Joel might have made it happen if he wasn't leaving, but he will probably leave it up to the next athletic director.

mattw1067 said:
I don't think Flip will be an assistant next year because of the fact that we don't have a long term athletic director. Joel might have made it happen if he wasn't leaving, but he will probably leave it up to the next athletic director.

Ole Joel said he leaves assistant coaches up to the head coach (as was noted though, unless their name is jimmy Williams) so if Tubby wanted Flip (very possible, IMO) he could make it happen.

Ole Joel said he leaves assistant coaches up to the head coach (as was noted though, unless their name is jimmy Williams) so if Tubby wanted Flip (very possible, IMO) he could make it happen.

I don't see Tubby ditching any of his 3 assistants.

Not saying it is going to happen, but Saul needs experience outside of working for Tubby. He needs to work with other coaches and get some head coaching experience. Like Rick Patino's son going to Florida (rumors were this was due to the lawsuit). It would be in his best interest to coach elsewhere.

I don't see the advantage for Tubby. Flip is likely not going to be a good recruiter, which is what the Gophers need. If the Gophers do well, people may say it is due to Flip, you have just trained your replacement. Usually, former head coaches sign on with people they have history with (former mentors), Tubby and Flip have no prior relationship.

Not saying it is going to happen, but Saul needs experience outside of working for Tubby. He needs to work with other coaches and get some head coaching experience. Like Rick Patino's son going to Florida (rumors were this was due to the lawsuit). It would be in his best interest to coach elsewhere.

I don't see the advantage for Tubby. Flip is likely not going to be a good recruiter, which is what the Gophers need. If the Gophers do well, people may say it is due to Flip, you have just trained your replacement. Usually, former head coaches sign on with people they have history with (former mentors), Tubby and Flip have no prior relationship.

The mere presence of Flip on the coaching staff would help with recruiting. When you can tell a player that you have experience in the NBA and know what it takes to make it and thus can help that given player get to the NBA it will catch their interest. Having someone who has been associated with the NBA in some way on your staff is always a plus in recruiting.

64776_10150604876579022_46198039021_9071468_21443696_n.jpg

From the tourney today, is that Flip? (Obviously I mean the guy next to Weber)
EDIT:
AND Izzo's wife behind them?

Saw on CBS this afternoon, after the BADgers got thrashed, Flip was in the stands at Indy....just seemed to be chillin' with a small group of MSU fans...

I don't doubt that Flip is a big 10, Gophers and basketball fan, but it is interesting that he's been at gopher practices, gone to high school games, and now going to other big 10 games.

I don't know he will be an assistant, but I'd say there is a decent chance. Just my opinion tho!

GophersOnTheRise said:
The mere presence of Flip on the coaching staff would help with recruiting. When you can tell a player that you have experience in the NBA and know what it takes to make it and thus can help that given player get to the NBA it will catch their interest. Having someone who has been associated with the NBA in some way on your staff is always a plus in recruiting.

May help land Tyus too having a former Gopher PG and NBA coach on the staff. Couldn't hurt anyways.

If Flip were to take an assistant coaching position wouldn't he lose out on that hefty buyout Washington owes him? If so might as well sit back and collect your dough

If Flip were to take an assistant coaching position wouldn't he lose out on that hefty buyout Washington owes him? If so might as well sit back and collect your dough

No. He only loses whatever the U pays him. So in theory it makes no difference if he's making $2 million as HC, or $200K as an assistant. It's more about whether he would want to do that. Pretty big step down from NBA HC to college assistant.

Top Bottom