saw on espn today that mel kiper jr. has eric decker as his #2 WR in the country

Reaction score
nice to see decker getting the respect as well as national hype that he deserves this year. here is to hoping that he lives up to it as well.

I agree. I am a bit worried though (after all, I am a GOPHER football fan). I'm worried that between the change in offensive scheme, and the fact all the opponents are reading this stuff too (keying on him) AND, the (good news) fact Weber will have more options to throw to this year... Decker's production will actually go down. He will be as good as ever but I could see him falling off the map through no fault of his own.

Just remember that Kiper's analysis only includes seniors. He doesn't include juniors until they actually enter the draft. Arrelious Benn (Ill), Dez Bryant (OSU) and Dezmon Briscoe (KU) are three players that will likely enter the draft and be drafted ahead of Decker because they have better speed which is what NFL teams are looking for when drafting WR's early.

Just remember that Kiper's analysis only includes seniors. He doesn't include juniors until they actually enter the draft. Arrelious Benn (Ill), Dez Bryant (OSU) and Dezmon Briscoe (KU) are three players that will likely enter the draft and be drafted ahead of Decker because they have better speed which is what NFL teams are looking for when drafting WR's early.

I though I heard on Sportscenter today that Kiper includes all upperclassmen on his Big Board? I haven't seen the list though, so I could be wrong.

First of all, I love watching Decker and love what he brings to the program...but...

He simply lacks the size and speed to be your prototypical NFL wideout. I think he'll do great in as a slot guy/possession guy. He reminds me of a Bobby Wade type. Unfortuantely, they dont draft those guys in the first couple rounds. I see him as a 3rd rounder.

Also, remember that guys like Eslinger, Setterstrom and Barber were second day picks. The only guys i can remember being 1st day picks were Maroney and Middlebrooks (which was a mistake). The difference was the measurables. Intangable wise, the first 3 were just as good, if not better that the other 2.

tell the to: Art Monk and Jerry Rice way too slow for WR

I'm not so sure about the Larry Fitzgerald comparison but I do think it's fair to say Decker could be a Bobby Wade type receiver in the NFL.

I though I heard on Sportscenter today that Kiper includes all upperclassmen on his Big Board? I haven't seen the list though, so I could be wrong.

Just seniors on the rankings by position list that Bronco referenced. Kiper released his first big board of the top 25 overall picks today and that list does included underclassmen. The top WR's on his big board are Dez Bryant (7), Arrelious Benn (10), Damien Williams (22). The fact that Decker is the #2 WR on the list Bronco was referencing but he isn't in the top 25 while 3 other WR's are shows they are different lists that didn't include non-seniors on the one.

Decker = Boldin is a terrible comparison because Q is known for getting yards after the catch. Decker = Wade is actually more accurate but I really think Decker = Hines Ward is the best comparison

In college if you're a stud you will get your yards and glory no matter what...you think teams didn't key on crabtree last year? or tebow, or AD back in his day...in college the best can still dominate

Decker = Boldin is a terrible comparison because Q is known for getting yards after the catch. Decker = Wade is actually more accurate but I really think Decker = Hines Ward is the best comparison

I actually heard Decker/Boldin on ESPN this week. Boldin gets yards after the catch because of his strength, not speed or elusiveness which is the same way Decker gets his. But I agree with you that Decker/Ward is a better comparison.

Well, Decker runs good routes, has pretty good speed, and has great hands. He doesn't make that dynamic 80 yard play like Benn that gets all the media hype everywhere but quietly, Decker is earning the respect by showing what a dependable reciever he is. Loving that he will have more help at WR this year!

Decker is 6'2''. I can see arguments about his speed (although I've never seen his actual numbers) but he has very good size for a WR

eric decker is 6'2" 220 pounds (during football season) and runs a 4.54 40.

larry fitz is 6'3" 225 pounds and runs a 4.53 40.

of course eric decker has yet to prove himself in the nfl, but i would say that the measurables are similar, and decker blocks and runs routes pretty well (although i can't say how well fitzgerald did that stuff in college).

eric decker is 6'2" 220 pounds (during football season) and runs a 4.54 40.

larry fitz is 6'3" 225 pounds and runs a 4.53 40.

of course eric decker has yet to prove himself in the nfl, but i would say that the measurables are similar, and decker blocks and runs routes pretty well (although i can't say how well fitzgerald did that stuff in college).

Just because they are the same size doesn't mean they have the same style of play.

ok lets talks "style of play"

my opinion of decker. hard-nosed, tough receiver with above average capability to gain yards after catch. tremendous hands and route running as well as blocking.

my opinion of fitzgerald. hard-nosed, tough receiver with great capability to gain yards after catch. excellent hands and route running--i can't say anything about his blocking.

remember that decker has been stereotyped for two reasons:

1. he played in dunbar's "spread coast" offense. this means that the majority of his catches were short slants and bubble screens. he has the ability to beat good defenders (remember the first TD against ILL he beat vontae davis).

2. and this is the elephant in the room: he is white. i have a buddy who is an NFL draft and fantasy expert (self-described, but expert nonetheless), and when i asked him about decker's chances his exact comment was "honestly...he's white." let's face it, when most football experts seee a white receiver there is an immediate stereotype that gets applied to that player--he's a "possession" guy, he's a slot receiver. in decker's case, he's the next jeff samardzja cause he also plays baseball. check the comments in this eric decker highlight video or check the comments in this you tube video of samardzja, every white wide receiver stereotype comes up, good possession receiver, would have made a great slot receiver: "dude samardzija is the man he makes white kids like me think they have a future in football"

I still have hope that Matt Jones is going to be a good wideout in the NFL

Therefore I bring nothing to this conversation...

I expect Decker to be a Wes Welker-type receiver if he plays to his full potential. If that's not a generic statement I don't know what is. Kid could walk into a club and shoot himself in the leg for all we know. Point -> WE KNOW NOTHING! Let's see how the season goes before we start making generalizations on NFL player/Decker comparisons. Because, you know, the most important thing to us should be Eric Decker helping us get to Pasedena.

Decker maybe like Samardjia... Who's with the Cubs now.
Great college receiver, though.
Joe Jerevicius...?

Whoever we compare him to, better make sure it's another white receiver. Just kidding...don't get upset. I'm not claiming any sort of harmless racism here, I've just always gotten a kick out of athletic comparisons and their adherence to race.

1 - Decker isn't anywhere near the same type of receiver as Fitz. Decker plays like he runs a 4.6, Fitz plays like he runs a 4.4

2 - I keep reading here about how Decker is good after the catch. Maybe I'm crazy but I haven't seen it. He caught a few bubble screens and made some decent gains but I've yet to see him really break tackles or make anyone miss in the open field. He's not a real deep threat either. He's a great underneath and mid range receiver, has good burst and is great at getting open. He's not as quick as Welker though so I don't get that comparison. He'll be a good receiver in the NFL and the truth is that he will be a possession WR in the league. He's not a deep threat and even though he's listed at 6'2" I think he's closer to 6'1" and he's a good, not great leaper so its hard to call him a red zone threat

Whoever we compare him to, better make sure it's another white receiver. Just kidding...don't get upset. I'm not claiming any sort of harmless racism here, I've just always gotten a kick out of athletic comparisons and their adherence to race.

Agreed. IMO Oleboy had the best comparison of anybody when he said Hines Ward.

Welker is a poor comparison because Welker is an undersized player that gets by on his quickness--like Bobby Wade with better hands. Black/white comparison again so that doesn't work. At least in college Decker is not that type of WR.

Decker doesn't have all of the skills of Cris Carter (amazing leaper) but I see him doing a lot of the same types of things because he is strong, smart, and has very good hands. I'm not trying to make it sound like he is the next Cris Carter, just that he will fill a similar role of going across the middle and underneath a zone moreso than down the field.

Top Bottom