Savor the 2023 college football season — it’s the last one like it we’ll ever get

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Ari:

That’s the hardest part about this latest and irreversible round of realignment. It wasn’t done to improve the product or serve the consumer. It’s just weird. It removes the essence of regionality, and nobody likes it. Really, this whole thing just stinks — even if we can admit that we will see some new and exciting matchups in the near future.

Also, don’t even get me started on how much of a burden this will be for student-athletes who now have to fly from Los Angeles to East Rutherford, N.J., to play in a game with a 41-point spread.

The television networks that are lining their pockets generate that wealth from the viewer. The advertising sales exist because of us, the viewer. We’re the ones watching those Dos Equis commercials. Here’s the ironic part: The viewer wasn’t consulted — er, even considered — during this whole thing.

We’re never going to stop watching our sport. Our love for this beautiful and dysfunctional game is the reason these suits are getting even richer. And I wouldn’t change our passion and love for this game in a million years, even if the wrong people are the ones profiting the most from it.

A few weeks ago, I planned on writing a column about how I would be savoring the final year of the four-team Playoff field before the expanded version of it devalued regular-season games. But I was able to live with that, and, admittedly, looking forward to a new system that generates more widespread interest from additional fan bases.

But now? I’m just sad.

I’m sad that USC and UCLA are in the Big Ten. I’m sad that the Pac-12 is dead. I’m sad that Texas and Oklahoma are in the SEC.

So savor this season.

It’s the last beautifully perfect season we’ll ever get.

Go Gophers!!

We’re never going to stop watching our sport. Our love for this beautiful and dysfunctional game is the reason these suits are getting even richer. And I wouldn’t change our passion and love for this game in a million years, even if the wrong people are the ones profiting the most from it.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. I fear these moves will be short-sighted.

I like the realignment. Also looking forward to the B1G getting to 20 teams.

Other than the Iowa, Wisconsin and sort of the Michigan game don’t really feel trading any other B1G game for the West Coast teams is an issue.

TV $$$ have changed the college football landscape and over the next decade it will more than likely change again.

Might as well embrace it.

Personally, I don't get that the West Coast teams would want to be part of a league where they have to fly across the country. Much like Alaska's hockey team, no one enjoyed those flights back and forth.

I do understand all the concern and the “sky is falling” gloom. It would be really hard to avoid if I was a Washington State fan.

But, it often seems successful to treat doom and gloom predictions with a grain of salt. I’m going to wait and see a bit longer before I predict the game will collapse.

The regional game as we knew it, with siloed bowl games at the end of the season with lots of questions, does appear to be going away. Perhaps it is being replaced with a tournament that will dwarf the NCAA basketball tourney in interest and the college game will be just as good/interesting. Different, but just as good. I hope so. Perhaps the fears will prove to be well founded and the college game will lose interest and collapse upon itself.

I just remember opinions like the USFL will rival the NFL, the NFL strike will kill the NFL, etc. So I’m inclined to wait and see a bit longer.

I like the realignment. Also looking forward to the B1G getting to 20 teams.

Other than the Iowa, Wisconsin and sort of the Michigan game don’t really feel trading any other B1G game for the West Coast teams is an issue.

TV $$$ have changed the college football landscape and over the next decade it will more than likely change again.

Might as well embrace it.
I'm with you. You better believe I'll be excited to see USC or Oregon come to the Bank. I'd rather see one of those teams over Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois, etc. Outside of Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska college football is college football. Might as well see some new, big name teams in person.

1. this is all about TV. Fox and ESPN are fighting a proxy war to see who can be the dominant College Football TV network. and like most wars, there is collateral damage.

2. for all of the complaining about loss of tradition - it's not like this is the first time that we've seen schools change conferences. I remember the Southwest Conference - which no longer exists. we've seen Penn State, Missouri, etc change conferences in the past, and college football survived.

3. yes, some fans will be impacted. but the vast majority of people follow college football from their couch. they turn on the TV and watch games. and I for one am looking forward to see USC play Ohio State as a conference game, or Oklahoma play Alabama as a conference game. things change. life goes on.

Winning seasons will be harder, the flickering hope of a championship will dim. CFB is not the NFL and isn’t the right comparison. The hardcore fans will carry the torch. Maybe future mechanisms will be instituted to generate more fan interest outside of gambling. Those mechanisms may include paying players and further radical changes that are difficult to imagine at the moment.

Last edited:

1. this is all about TV. Fox and ESPN are fighting a proxy war to see who can be the dominant College Football TV network. and like most wars, there is collateral damage.

2. for all of the complaining about loss of tradition - it's not like this is the first time that we've seen schools change conferences. I remember the Southwest Conference - which no longer exists. we've seen Penn State, Missouri, etc change conferences in the past, and college football survived.

3. yes, some fans will be impacted. but the vast majority of people follow college football from their couch. they turn on the TV and watch games. and I for one am looking forward to see USC play Ohio State as a conference game, or Oklahoma play Alabama as a conference game. things change. life goes on.
Agree that things are always changing. Its usually difficult for awhile, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. At any rate it, is going to happen, no use in fighting it. Go Gophers (no matter who you are playing).

I agree with the sentiments of the article. We're sitting at the cool kids table among the relatively un-impacted and it still feels like the end of an era. I'm optimistic for some fresh opponents and road trips but the road to a 19th Big Ten Title has probably become much more difficult.

I can't fathom being a fan of one of the 4 Pac-12 schools that are seemingly left behind, nor the Gophers having to go off and join some other conference full of randoms.

I'm invested in the Gophers enough that i will probably continue following whatever league they are in. But, if 10 years down the round there was reshuffling that put us in some kind of second tier FCS league (not a prediction), id follow the gophers there and I don't think I would tune in for a second to watch the top tier college football, which kind of just feels like crappy minor league semi pro football at this point.

I don’t think this kills college football, as none of this is permanent. But I think that fans can and will walk away due to the direction things are going.

I still have not accepted Nebraska as a BIG Ten team. Johnny Rogers was not BIG Ten. Sadly I will be stiff as a board before I can see USC as a a real league member.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I fear these moves will be short-sighted.
I used to watch the nfl. I really don’t outside of the one team now

College football I will still watch all day on multiple devices

I do understand all the concern and the “sky is falling” gloom. It would be really hard to avoid if I was a Washington State fan.

But, it often seems successful to treat doom and gloom predictions with a grain of salt. I’m going to wait and see a bit longer before I predict the game will collapse.

The regional game as we knew it, with siloed bowl games at the end of the season with lots of questions, does appear to be going away. Perhaps it is being replaced with a tournament that will dwarf the NCAA basketball tourney in interest and the college game will be just as good/interesting. Different, but just as good. I hope so. Perhaps the fears will prove to be well founded and the college game will lose interest and collapse upon itself.

I just remember opinions like the USFL will rival the NFL, the NFL strike will kill the NFL, etc. So I’m inclined to wait and see a bit longer.
I am not sure anything can rival ncaa tourney.
The games being 2 hours long and a ton of action almost always in the last 5 minutes just lends itself more to it.

Would be awesome if the playoff ever went to 16 if they played:
7pm Thursday
7pm Friday
11am Saturday
1pm Saturday
3pm Saturday
5pm Saturday
7pm Saturday
9pm Saturday
It would make it a little like old New Year’s Day needing multiple televisions and great games all day.

I still have not accepted Nebraska as a BIG Ten team. Johnny Rogers was not BIG Ten. Sadly I will be stiff as a board before I can see USC as a a real league member.
I've accepted Nebraska far more than Maryland or Rutgers

They have been a nice natural rival for Minnesota, one the Gophers have played more than Ohio State throughout their history.

Other fanbases probably feel less connection to the Huskers. But around here, people talk about Nebraska every bit as much as Iowa or Wisconsin and I think they have quietly become the Gophers 3rd historic rival.

I wish it was a 12 team Big Ten with Penn State and Nebraska but without all the others.

I've accepted Nebraska far more than Maryland or Rutgers

They have been a nice natural rival for Minnesota, one the Gophers have played more than Ohio State throughout their history.

Other fanbases probably feel less connection to the Huskers. But around here, people talk about Nebraska every bit as much as Iowa or Wisconsin and I think they have quietly become the Gophers 3rd historic rival.

I wish it was a 12 team Big Ten with Penn State and Nebraska but without all the others.
Agree with all this.

Not sure anyone will ever accept Rutgers as a rival.
Maryland maybe more so.

One thing that helps is that Nebraska has been on our schedule every year in both legends/leaders and east/west

Indiana has only hosted Nebraska once

I don't understand how playing universities like USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington is bad for the fans? I remember a few years ago when we played USC all of us fans had that day circled on the calendar for years. If I remember correctly, it was a beautiful day and a near sell out at the bank.

I don't understand how playing universities like USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington is bad for the fans? I remember a few years ago when we played USC all of us fans had that day circled on the calendar for years. If I remember correctly, it was a beautiful day and a near sell out at the bank.
Playing those 4 is not bad for the fans.
Nobody is really arguing it is.

Playing Nebraska, northwestern, Illinois, Purdue less may be bad for the fans.

I will miss not playing northwestern (east road trip), Nebraska and Purdue (know a ton of Nebraska and Purdue grads), every year
Playing those other 4 will be fun. For me personally it’ll be less fun than attending a 200 person tailgate in Lincoln. (I am glad they are a 3/4 opponent in the last schedule we saw).

There is no doubt Minnesota playing Oregon instead of Oregon state playing Oregon is bad for Oregon state fans

Playing those 4 is not bad for the fans.
Nobody is really arguing it is.

Playing Nebraska, northwestern, Illinois, Purdue less may be bad for the fans.

I will miss not playing northwestern (east road trip), Nebraska and Purdue (know a ton of Nebraska and Purdue grads), every year
Playing those other 4 will be fun. For me personally it’ll be less fun than attending a 200 person tailgate in Lincoln. (I am glad they are a 3/4 opponent in the last schedule we saw).

There is no doubt Minnesota playing Oregon instead of Oregon state playing Oregon is bad for Oregon state fans
I agree with a lot of what you said. It is an absolute terrible move for the fans of Oregon State and to a lesser extent Oregon (only because they are the ones that chose).

100% agree with you on Nebraska. It has easily become our third biggest rival in my opinion. Easy drive to Lincoln - great fans, fun tailgate, etc.

Outside of Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Iowa I don't have any personal desires to play any Big Ten team routinely. Agree with you on Northwestern due to the location and ease of a road trip but I still haven't made that trip even with how close it has been.

Money seeps into every aspect of our culture. College sports are not immune. Tradition may be trumped over money and survival. Football and basketball are the revenue sports that carry the rest of most schools' athletic programs.

It is sad, but it is reality.

Top Bottom