Sauter Resigns

goldengophers

Reaction score
Southwest Minnesota State announces coaching change
Cory Sauter has stepped down as the head coach at Division II Southwest Minnesota State. Defensive coordinator Shay McClure has been named interim head coach.

"I want to thank Cory for his years of service, hard work, and dedication to SMSU and Mustang football," interim AD Bruce Saugstad said. "He has made a positive impact on many of our student-athletes and his coaching staff during his tenure."

In 12 seasons on the job, Sauter went 45-77. His 2015 team represented a high-water mark with eight wins, the most by an SMSU team at the Division II level.

"Our collective goal for Mustang football is to represent SMSU, Marshall and Southwest Minnesota well on and off the field," Saugstad said. "We are committed to preparing our student-athletes for their careers after SMSU and to building a program to be competitive within the NSIC."

Last edited:

12 seasons is a long time for this gig. Probably wants to expand his horizons a bit.

Chris Hmielewski was the AD there until this summer.
I'm not sure if it's a relation to Drew, but the fact he played baseball, etc., I'm assuming there is a family tie.

New AD. New coach.

It was time for a change but I have a hard time ever seeing smsu competing in nsic

It was time for a change but I have a hard time ever seeing smsu competing in nsic
There was a time there, late 80's and early 90's, they went out and got some speed from Florida and ran a wide open offense and looked great in September and October, but that shit fizzled and floundered when winter started to kick in. But for a little bit there, they could put up some points with the best of them.

Too bad. The last couple of games, sheesh. Don’t think they ask a lot there. Blanchard has been the baseball coach there for about 20 years or so. His overall isn’t much above .500

Chris Hmielewski was the AD there until this summer.
I'm not sure if it's a relation to Drew, but the fact he played baseball, etc., I'm assuming there is a family tie.

New AD. New coach.

Chris is Drew's father. and of course, Chris's wife - and Drew's mother - is Mary Jo Hmielewski - formerly Mary Jo Miller - one of the greatest HS girls athletes in MN history in VB and Basketball.

I lived there for almost 14 years. Marshall is actually in a valley rather than the buffalo ridge so not as windy as the ridge but yes still fairly windy.
The Buffalo Ridge has found it's place in recent years as the windmill capital of Minnesota. That must be the windiest place in Minnesota.

A long long time ago........... kicked with a square toe! An extra point was considered a challenging distance...... however at Southwest State on a windy Saturday afternoon, kicked a 37 yarder with room to spare......that's how windy it can be there!!!

Chris is Drew's father. and of course, Chris's wife - and Drew's mother - is Mary Jo Hmielewski - formerly Mary Jo Miller - one of the greatest HS girls athletes in MN history in VB and Basketball.
Another layer: She played in HS for longtime Southwest St. Vball coach Terry Culhane who is retiring at the end of this season. Successful program and career for Culhane.

There was a time there, late 80's and early 90's, they went out and got some speed from Florida and ran a wide open offense and looked great in September and October, but that shit fizzled and floundered when winter started to kick in. But for a little bit there, they could put up some points with the best of them.
Morris was a DIII football power back then. Morris did move up to DII for a while but they are now back at DIII.

Top Bottom