Saturday's game is a "narrative shaping" game for this program and Fleck

The Gophers might win today but I doubt it. I'm a long time gopher fan and I believe Fleck has improved the program but we're about a good as we're going to get. I just don't believe we will ever reach the level of Wisconsin and Iowa. We'll have a very good year occasionally but not consistently.

I noticed yesterday. Nebraska, having a miserable year, almost filled their 90,000 seat stadium with 86,541 in attendance. If the gophers had that record how many would attend? The recruits notice this and it makes a big difference.
Sadly, we have not won these rivalry games consistently for years. I'm a homer so I still like our chances. As has been stated many times here on GH NB literally has no other teams to cheer for unlike in MN. so fans jump on/off the bandwagon.

This is the main thing I can't stand about (college) football: talk.

Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk.

Shush.

Go play the damn game. WIN the damn game. LET'S F'ING GOOOOOOOOO
Citidiot with 8,000 posts scolds about too much talk. Perhaps reality check in order?

Wisconsin is ranked #14 for a reason; we are unranked for a reason. If Wisconsin executes their style game, the one that got them ranked, and we play the style of game that left us unranked, the outcome is pretty certain. We might get "close," as in the Iowa game, but WI will keep the Axe.

Here is the only "narrative" I will look for: do the Gophers play all three phases of the WI game (including special teams) aggressively, "to win," or do they play at key junctures "not to lose?" Playing to win (even if we lose) is a narrative, and mindset, that will carry over well into the next season. If, on the other hand, we play not to lose (and lose nonetheless), that is a negative mindset that will carry over and infect the next season. The goal is to beat WI and IA. Both those teams, regardless of their annual talent level, play big games unabashedly "to win." If we want to attain the WI and IA success level, we will never get there playing "not to lose." We will get tantalizingly close, but never get there. It isn't recruiting and personnel that is the roadblock, it is a coaching mindset.

Playing to win, BTW, includes playing with risk/reward in mind. Going for a 4th and 2 on your own 35 yard line early in the game (instead of punting and pinning WI deep) isn't playing to win--because it is stupid from a risk/reward standpoint. Playing to win also includes making intelligent choices that don't pointlessly handicap your team.
Very well put. If we show any signs of playing "not to lose", also known as prevent offense, it will signal current staff makeup and operating philosophy consign program to middling status.

I agree with the OP. In a short season only a couple of outcomes in close games can shape the whole thing.

2019, the Gophers could have easily taken a L or two in the non-conference to weaker teams. But they didn't and it ended up being a beautiful 11-2 season. More good luck than bad.

2020, the Gophers disappointed many but if the two OT games had swung the Gophers way we're talking 5-2 with an Axe win and a really strong covid season. More bad luck than good.

2021, a couple of the close ones didn't quite go our way but a couple did and now we've probably got two more to come. Fairly even luck. How a few plays end up going in the remaining games will be the difference between a really strong season and a bit of a let down.

The margin between a great season and a disappointing one at a place like Minnesota is slim.
Your overall point is good. But two losses this year to inferior teams was due to poor coaching -- preparation, motivation, game plans, play calling, inept at adjustments. No bad luck involved.

This is our day! There has been enough disappointment —it is time we control the line of scrimmage in both sides of the ball and take Bucky down using their own formula for victory.

Go GOPHERS!

2019 was obviously an incredible season, highlighted by the Penn State and bowl wins, dampened by the missed opportunities after the horrid first quarter against Iowa and the beat down by wisconsin.

2020 was a frustrating season for many, many reasons. Covid was a buzzkill, no fans in stands, no real peak moment, got crushed by Iowa and lost to wisconsin in OT.

2021, we really don't know what to think of this season yet. Injuries in the backfield, inconsistencies and frustration with the passing games, moments of brilliance from the defense, no true milestone win but a very nice 4 game BT win streak, dampened by two bad loses and missed opportunities.

BUT, the narrative of this season and the trajectory of the program will be written following Saturday's game vs uw. A win and we finish 6-3 in Big Ten, one of the best conference records in decades, including a huge win over our rival, keeping them out of the BT Championship, and an opportunity to finish 9-4 with a solid bowl win. A loss tomorrow and we move to 1-9 in rivalry games under Fleck, we lose 3 of our last 4 in the conference, and it's hard to justify that this program is moving in the direction we all want it to be.

This game is huge. It's time to shape the narrative at wisconsin's expense.

Go Gophers!!
This was an excellent post.

Like I said you've gotta start by going 50/50 against Wisconsin and Iowa and we did that this year. Fleck and Rossi deserve a lot of credit.

Still don’t feel different than I did at noon

That wasn't my point in my OP. This isn't about you and me feeling different, if you don't think the outside world feels differently than they did at Noon, not sure what to tell you.

This win was HUGE for the program and Fleck, your and my opinion notwithstanding.

Go Gophers!!

That wasn't my point in my OP. This isn't about you and me feeling different, if you don't think the outside world feels differently than they did at Noon, not sure what to tell you.

This win was HUGE for the program and Fleck, your and my opinion notwithstanding.

Go Gophers!!
Program didn’t need to win today to be headed in right direction.
If you think they did, you’re missing the forest through the trees

Program didn’t need to win today to be headed in right direction.
If you think they did, you’re missing the forest through the trees

Well, I'm going to enjoy the heck out of this win!! You do whatever it is you are doing in this thread.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

If anyone has perspective on this forum, it's Bleed

Top Bottom